Dominican *Concrete*

May 29, 2006
Was there rebar in that wall? I didn't see any...

Most newer construction I've seen, well in our neighborhood anyway, has reinforced comcrete columns on corners and in the interior. The concrete blocks are non-load-bearing walls with wide-spaced rebar just to keep them from falling from any horizontal forces. The columns support the second floor concrete floors, and then are "textures into the concrete block walls.

Yes, that's the theory, but they usually just tie the posts and beam rebar together with metal ties. It's not like they're running the rebar through the posts, but to the posts. If they bent the rebar over at the ends, it might add more strength, but they don't. The strength is in how much force it would take for the rebar to pull out of a few inches of bad mortar. They don't add aggregate because it's more time and money. You can make the beams as strong as you want, but if the joints fail, the building fails.

2h6a8vb.jpg

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
essentially, there is nothing wrong per se in making higher floors larger than the lower ones. in a barrio it's a great way to maximize whatever little space people have. and where i come from overhanging balconies, even on tall apartment buildings are very common. however, the strength of construction is all in execution. if it's done well it's safe, it saves space and it can look good.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
essentially, there is nothing wrong per se in making higher floors larger than the lower ones. in a barrio it's a great way to maximize whatever little space people have. and where i come from overhanging balconies, even on tall apartment buildings are very common. however, the strength of construction is all in execution. if it's done well it's safe, it saves space and it can look good.

Im no Engineer... but i would say there is a huge difference between Balconies over hanging, and a STRUCTURAL WALL that is completely Outside the footprint of the floor below it , essentially the beginning of an Upside down Pyramid so to speak .. .. that only works in Dr Seuss Books , imo.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Google "garrison style house", it's not an uncommon design.
Whether it was designed and is being built correctly is another question.

Feb 7, 2007
Im no Engineer... but i would say there is a huge difference between Balconies over hanging, and a STRUCTURAL WALL that is completely Outside the footprint of the floor below it , essentially the beginning of an Upside down Pyramid so to speak .. .. that only works in Dr Seuss Books , imo.

It works, trust me.

This upside-down pyramid has been standing for several decades now...
XqCggm0l.png

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Anybody ever see ICI blocks, styrofoam building blocks, used in building footings, or walls in the DR? Easy to work with, provides good insulation on both sides, and can be constructed to a height of four feet per pour and set. It would reduce the cooling costs and provide other benefits such as standardized construction techniques.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It works, trust me.

XqCggm0l.png
This was the pier in downtown St. Petersburg FL, my hometown area, that extended into Tampa Bay for many years:

nal_pier091914_13879517_8col.jpg

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Anybody ever see ICI blocks, styrofoam building blocks, used in building footings, or walls in the DR? Easy to work with, provides good insulation on both sides, and can be constructed to a height of four feet per pour and set. It would reduce the cooling costs and provide other benefits such as standardized construction techniques.
There is an outfit near the public hospital in Santiago that specializes in them.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
It works, trust me.

XqCggm0l.png

But that is a STEEL Structure .. different animal , no ?

If we are speaking of Cinder block buildings, I do not see how this would work.. Even with Rebar used .
I understand the basics , Concrete can take intense pressure but very little TENSION.. Rebar compensates for that by absorbing the TENSION when needed .

thanks for that Picture . pretty Cool Design...

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006

It's more economical to build a standard conc footing and masonry wall, then place a layer of styro at exterior, then a layer of stucco over that. You'll get the same effect, but you'll have the added benefit of your thermal mass on the interior.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
google cantilever buildings. plenty of them all over the world and some have pretty amazeballs designs. of course they are built to certain standards and they are designed from scratch to hold the weight of the structure.
this one is kinda impressive:
https://www.architonic.com/en/project/love-architecture-and-urbanism-doninpark/5102816

Very nice , and interesting.. .but before I even click on that im willing to bet there are some STEEL I BEAMS in there ..
I have honestly never seen I beams used in the DR, not for Private dwellings .
I beams are very expensive ..

very cool though.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
It's more economical to build a standard conc footing and masonry wall, then place a layer of styro at exterior, then a layer of stucco over that. You'll get the same effect, but you'll have the added benefit of your thermal mass on the interior.
Apply insulating ceramic coating instead of paint, and you've got one excellent exterior structure.

May 29, 2006
My dad and I did a spec house about five years ago using IFC blocks for the foundation. They would be great here if they could compete on cost. They have braces built in to hold the rebar in place.

Yes you can build a sound "upside down" house with proper engineering. But I very much doubt these crews even know how to use 3-4-5 triangle to check for square or to check the diagonals on a perimeter. If the diagonals of a foundation are equal lengths AND both the lengths and widths pair up, you got yourself a rectangle.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Yes you can build a sound "upside down" house with proper engineering. But I very much doubt these crews even know how to use 3-4-5 triangle to check for square or to check the diagonals on a perimeter. .
Florida....where else.
348s.jpg

May 29, 2006
Before buying cinder blocks, check to see if you can drop one from chest height onto concrete without it shattering. This would be a fail:

[video=youtube_share;nHiQCQ_vBj4]https://youtu.be/nHiQCQ_vBj4[/video]