Dominican Foods

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Speaking of hot sauce. Where can one find a super hot sauce in Puerto Plata/Sosua area. I know you are not in that area Bob, it's more of a general question for others. Super hot (hotter than ghost) is something I could never seem to find.
I have never seen any hot sauce hotter than habanero here and even that is rare.
This is, after all, the island that spice forgot. Take plantains, please......

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
No one ever replied about sandwich shops......in Santiago or elsewhere.

Supermercado Nacional sells sandwiches in plastic boxes near to where the salads and cakes are. They are a bit bready for my liking but a sandwich nevertheless. I'm pretty sure they also do wraps.

In the capital, Barra Payan is opening quite a lot of new branches but the best one is the original one on 30th March which is open 24/7. And there is also Quiznos Sub in various malls (Agora, Bella Vista, Jumbo Luperon and also in Santo Domingo airport)

I have bought some delicious sandwiches in Las Terrenas from Boulangerie Francaise.

Reactions: aarhus

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Speaking of hot sauce. Where can one find a super hot sauce in Puerto Plata/Sosua area. I know you are not in that area Bob, it's more of a general question for others. Super hot (hotter than ghost) is something I could never seem to find.
I quit using super-hot sauces a few years ago. The mind is willing, but the body isn't, so I stick to mildly hot sauces now. Plaza Lama seemed to have a few choices last time I checked.

marcosalm

Jul 24, 2018
Santiago
Supermercado Nacional sells sandwiches in plastic boxes near to where the salads and cakes are. They are a bit bready for my liking but a sandwich nevertheless. I'm pretty sure they also do wraps.

In the capital, Barra Payan is opening quite a lot of new branches but the best one is the original one on 30th March which is open 24/7. And there is also Quiznos Sub in various malls (Agora, Bella Vista, Jumbo Luperon and also in Santo Domingo airport)

I have bought some delicious sandwiches in Las Terrenas from Boulangerie Francaise.
Thanks everyone!!!

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

Maria, are you talking about the Nacional on El Conde? They definitely do wraps. Much better than their bready sanwishes.

Reactions: MariaRubia

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I have never seen any hot sauce hotter than habanero here and even that is rare.
This is, after all, the island that spice forgot. Take plantains, please......
That's what I find. they are all so mild. I make a reaper sauce that will rip you a new one. I suppose I will have to bring seeds and grow my own peppers.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
That's what I find. they are all so mild. I make a reaper sauce that will rip you a new one. I suppose I will have to bring seeds and grow my own peppers.
I grow habanero pepper and jalapeño. Habanero peppers start out green and then turn to red which is very, very pretty...but dangerous to touch.
I have had habanero stay on my skin for 48 hours after constant washing. If you are in theeJD area I can arrange to give you the peppers and you plant the seed. No problem

Reactions: ramesses

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I grow habanero pepper and jalapeño. Habanero peppers start out green and then turn to red which is very, very pretty...but dangerous to touch.
I have had habanero stay on my skin for 48 hours after constant washing. If you are in theeJD area I can arrange to give you the peppers and you plant the seed. No problem
rameses is looking for much hotter than habanero, but a nice gesture nonetheless.

Being in the DR, I have not had the chance to try any Carolina Reapers.

Carolina Reaper
The Carolina Reaper is a cultivar of the Capsicum chinense plant. Developed by American breeder Ed Currie, the pepper is red and gnarled, with a bumpy texture and small pointed tail. In 2017, Guinness World Records declared it the hottest chili pepper in the world.
Wikipedia

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
rameses is looking for much hotter than habanero, but a nice gesture nonetheless.

Being in the DR, I have not had the chance to try any Carolina Reapers.

Carolina Reaper
The Carolina Reaper is a cultivar of the Capsicum chinense plant. Developed by American breeder Ed Currie, the pepper is red and gnarled, with a bumpy texture and small pointed tail. In 2017, Guinness World Records declared it the hottest chili pepper in the world.
Wikipedia
What would the point in consuming something so hot that it numbs your taste buds and causes physical distress. You cant uneat it.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
What would the point in consuming something so hot that it numbs your taste buds and causes physical distress. You cant uneat it.
I have a very high tolerance for capsicum. I make a sauce that is quite sweet with the heavy heat. I make it out of mango, peach, pineapple and strawberry with honey and brown sugar. No distress on my part, only pure enjoyment.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I have a very high tolerance for capsicum. I make a sauce that is quite sweet with the heavy heat. I make it out of mango, peach, pineapple and strawberry with honey and brown sugar. No distress on my part, only pure enjoyment.
What part do you specifically enjoy? What do you feel?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I quit using super-hot sauces a few years ago. The mind is willing, but the body isn't, so I stick to mildly hot sauces now. Plaza Lama seemed to have a few choices last time I checked.
My body is still willin' - kind of like Linda Rondstadt in her song Willin' (just not for weed, whites and wine in combo)

But I really enjoy Sambal Oelek, a chili paste originally from Asia - available most places and although I don't know its Scoville rating, it has plenty of kick.

Plenty of recipes online for making your own Sambal Oelek and you can use your variety of chili peppers to make it as hot as you want

Attachments

• Snap13.jpg
    Snap13.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 73