Dominican Government Guarantee Rights To Airlines Passengers

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There is a right given to all passengers of an airline (Dominican or otherwise) from their flights to and from the DR.

Airlines are suppose to give the following credits to each passenger affected (but it has to be first requested by the passenger(s) in any Dominican airport and if the airline refuses, then go to the nearest JAC office (Junta de Aviación Civil; every international airport in the DR has one) and report it.) They will force the airline to comply as this isn't a request, but an obligation.

The JAC recently got to together with representstives of Jetblue given the rash of criticisms by many Dominicans regarding them not complying with this, even though it isn't something of their discretion in the DR, they must comply. Again, this applies to flights originating in the DR and flights originating abroad to the DR.

If a flight to or from the DR suffers a delay, the airline (regardless if it's Dominican or not) must comply with the following.

All credits are per passengers.

Cancellation
4 hours before the scheduled flight time: US$50 credit
After the scheduled flight time: US$100 credit

Delay Before Boarding
3:00 - 3:59 hours: US$50 credit
4:00 - 4:59 hours: US$100 credit
5:00 - 5:59 hours: US$150 credit
6:00 - more hours: US$200 credit

Delay After Boarding
3:00 - 4:59 hours: US$100
5:00 - 5:59 hours: US$175
6:00 - more hours: US$250

Delay on Land, On Board (after landing)
1:00 - 1:59 hours: US$50 credit
2:00 - 2:59 hours: US$125 credit
3:00 - more: US$200 credit

PS. It appears there is no clause to excempt the airline in case the delay and/or cancellation is due to the weather (say a snow storm in NYC which affects all flights to and from the DR.)

Last edited:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
There is a right given to all passengers of an airline (Dominican or otherwise) from their flights to and from the DR.

Airlines are suppose to give the following credits to each passenger affected (but it has to be first requested by the passenger(s) in any Dominican airport and if the airline refuses, then go to the nearest JAC office (Junta de Aviación Civil; every international airport in the DR has one) and report it.) They will force the airline to comply as this isn't a request, but an obligation.

The JAC recently got to together with representstives of Jetblue given the rash of criticisms by many Dominicans regarding them not complying with this, even though it isn't something of their discretion in the DR, they must comply. Again, this applies to flights originating in the DR and flights originating abroad to the DR.

If a flight to or from the DR suffers a delay, the airline (regardless if it's Dominican or not) must comply with the following.

All credits are per passengers.

Cancellation
4 hours before the scheduled flight time: US$50 credit
After the scheduled flight time: US$100 credit

Delay Before Boarding
3:00 - 3:59 hours: US$50 credit
4:00 - 4:59 hours: US$100 credit
5:00 - 5:59 hours: US$150 credit
6:00 - more hours: US$200 credit

Delay After Boarding
3:00 - 4:59 hours: US$100
5:00 - 5:59 hours: US$175
6:00 - more hours: US$250

Delay on Land, On Board (after landing)
1:00 - 1:59 hours: US$50 credit
2:00 - 2:59 hours: US$125 credit
3:00 - more: US$200 credit

PS. It appears there is no clause to excempt the airline in case the delay and/or cancellation is due to the weather (say a snow storm in NYC which affects all flights to and from the DR.)
I just used a $100.00 credit that I got from my last trip here to use on ny next trip back. I wonder if the credits should be accumative (sp) ie Delay before boarding and delay after boarding which is certainly an issue. My trip last month was about 5 hours late in total.
Addrionally, I think there is something in the regulation that addresses pulling away from the gate and stopping the clock. (Then they pull back into the gate).

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Good news.
If they can't better police themselves, the Dominican government is stepping in
to do it for them.

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
That should be a huge sign in front of every gate and ticket counter. Show em' you mean business.