Dominican obtaining work visa for Canada?

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
My letter to my MP

July 10, 2006

Dear Mrs. XXXXXX:

I am writing to you, as my Member of Parliament, with an Immigration issue that I have recently played a part in, and am lobbying your interference and assistance to help rectify this rather unjust decision. I am faxing all pertinent details to your office, including the contract, the application, and the denial letter.

My husband's cousin, Vetania XXXXXX, is from the Dominican Republic. She was recently offered a job as a farm labourer near Ottawa (Armprior) by XXXXX of XXXXX Farms. He received approval by HRSDC, confirmation# XXXXXXX through the NOC code 8431 - General Farm Workers. It is listed on this approval that there is no formal education requirements to fulfill the duties of this position. XXXXXX (the Employer) drafted a contract and offered Vetania a position on his farm. Vetania readily accepted his offer, as this would be a very good way for her to earn money that would enable her to return to the DR to finish her University Education at the end of the contract. It is very difficult for citizens of the Dominican Republic to earn sufficient money in their country to pay for extras like education. They are thought to be a rather poor country, and the average person only makes about $200 US/month, so to save for a University education is impossible because the wages they make are barely enough to scrape by.

On May 4, all necessary approvals were granted by HRSDC for XXXXXX (the Employer) to hire Vetania, and it was time for Vetania to take all necessary paperwork to the Embassy in Santo Domingo, DR, to apply for a work visa. Along with her, she brought the following to the Embassy:

$130 US application fee, to be paid to the Canadian Embassy
Personal Bank Statements
A Police Clearance Certificate
4 passport-sized photos
A copy of her job contract with a Canadian employer
A copy of the authorization from HRSDC
Her passport and cedula
A completed application for a Canadian Work Visa
Letters of Recommendation from previous employers

After Vetania deposited her paperwork, she was asked to return to the Embassy on May 18. During this appointment, she was given back most of her paperwork (including her passport) and she was asked to go to the Clinica Abreu for medical examinations. These medical examinations cost nearly $200 Canadian, and entailed of a physical, an X-Ray, and a test for HIV. When she was done at the clinic, she had to return to the Embassy and deposit her passport once again. Since Santo Domingo is 3 hours away from her hometown, it is quite a taxing venture to apply for a visa, but one that would be validated if she was granted a visa. All in all, Vetania spent well over $600 CDN to apply for this visa. In a third-world country like the Dominican Republic, this amount is huge (more than 2 month's wages), and I feel terrible that Vetania has now lost this money.

Vetania's passport was sent to Haiti for processing for six weeks, and finally, on July 6, Vetania was advised that she could go to Santo Domingo to retrieve her file. She was heartbroken when she received her passport, without visa, and denial letter. The Canadian Embassy in Haiti denied her application on these grounds: "LACK OF ENGLISH LANGUAGE SKILLS WHICH WOULD ENABLE YOU TO EFFECTIVELY CARRY OUT YOUR DUTIES". This is the most confusing part of all. Vetania speaks very good English. There was nothing, absolutely nothing on the application that even hinted that she didn't speak English, and she was never asked to give an interview to showcase her abilities. Vetania has taken advanced English courses, and corresponds with me frequently via e-mail, in English, to practice. I don't understand how they made this incorrect assessment.

At the bottom of the letter, it says, "This application is closed. Please note that any new information you wish to provide must be submitted with a new application and processing fee. Should you wish to reapply, I would suggest that you do so only if your situation has changed substantively or you have significant new information to submit." So it appears there is no recourse or appeal process? I am very disappointed in our Immigration process at this point. When we have cities like Calgary who are crying for workers, and shops are closing their doors due to lack of workers; a worker with 6 years of experience in gardening/farming operations, some University courses, good command of the English language, and $5,000 in the bank to sustain herself in Canada should the job not pan out, is denied a visa, on false pretenses. I spoke with XXXXXXX (the employer), and he is equally upset. He told me that last weekend, July 1, was his busiest weekend of the Strawberry-picking season. He talked to his workers all week, telling them how important it was for them to work on the July 1 weekend, because the strawberry crops needed to be picked. Only 5 showed up on Saturday, and NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON showed up for work on July 2, leaving his strawberry crops to rot. At least if Vetania was here, he would've had some help and been able to salvage some of the strawberries.

I am starting to wonder when our economy is going to improve, and when our Immigration system is going to be straightened out, especially in light of my personal experience. We, in Calgary, are screaming for workers, yet not enabling qualified and willing workers come into the country to do the jobs that many Canadians don't want or are too spoiled to do. In light of this, what is the future of our incredibly-important Agricultural Industry? Are our Government Representatives going to continue to make bad choices and allow this to continue to happen?

I implore you to interfere with this decision, XXXXXX. I am an avid Progressive Conservative supporter and I think our new Prime Minister Steven Harper has done many wonderful things in a very short time for Canada. I think you, XXXXXX, as well, have represented me very well and would like you to continue for many years to come as a positive influence in Parliament. I respect your stance taken against the Liberals on their lack of following through on Immigration policies. Please help us to change this decision and show that you stand by your speech of October 3, 2005.

I have detailed a summary of our Work Visa Immigration experience on www.dr1.com, which is a very popular Dominican Republic message board. There are many comments in this thread, and at this point, 969 hits have viewed the thread. Here is the address of this thread: http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49470

I thank you in advance for your assistance in rectifying this assessment.

Sincerely,

Trina Burgos

I have XXX'd out Vetania's last name, as well as the name and address of my Member of Parliament. If anyone (Canadian) would like to help by writing a letter to my Member of Parliament, as well as CC'ing to Steven Harper, please let me know by PM, and I will send you the details so you can do so.

Thanks all for your comments and assistance. I may not be fruitful in attempting to overturn this decision, as I know how Immigration does not readily help the citizens of the Dominican Republic, but I would like to know that I have done everything in my power to try and do so.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I'm thinking that your letter covers it well, but I wouldn't have used the word interference because it has a negative impact ( meaning interfering in something that is not their business) Perhaps " act on my behalf" ; or investigate what can be done to change" , "appeal this".

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
bob saunders said:
I'm thinking that your letter covers it well, but I wouldn't have used the word interference because it has a negative impact ( meaning interfering in something that is not their business) Perhaps " act on my behalf" ; or investigate what can be done to change" , "appeal this".

You're right, Bob, I probably used the wrong choice of phrases pertaining to this. Amazingly, my MP's office already called me. Less than 30 minutes after I'd faxed the documents, they called to tell me that there wasn't much they can do, as only a Visa Officer can make this decision. I convinced her to call and ask them to re-open the file and at least grant an interview. My thoughts are that if they re-open the file and grant an interview, they will still find some other reason to deny the visa, but there's no harm in trying. Luck just is not in the cards for DR residents when it comes to receiving visas for our country.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Perhaps we're getting a little further...

One of the representatives of the Embassy in SD that has been helping me on Vetania's file has answered my e-mail, as below:

Trina,

I have forward your e-mail below to our Immigration Program Manager in Port-au-Prince, Haiti for there information and action.

Sincerely,

Immigration Section SDMGO

I have removed her name to protect her privacy... I am hoping something will come of this, and I will soon have better news to post...not exactly holding my breath, but I have more hope than I did when we received the denial letter.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Embassy Staff

trina said:
One of the representatives of the Embassy in SD ...

"Trina,

I have forward your e-mail below to our Immigration Program Manager in Port-au-Prince, Haiti for there information and action.

Sincerely,

Immigration Section SDMGO"

Well, maybe his/her French or Spanish is a bit better...

m'frog

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
mountainfrog said:
"Trina,

Sincerely,

Immigration Section SDMGO"

I wasn't going to comment on the irony of the situation because the lady that wrote this e-mail to me is very kind and helpful. I am hardly ever a person that comments on other's grammar skills, as I know that mine can be lacking - when I'm tired, even in my first language - never mind my second language. However, now that you mention it...Vetania's visa was declined due to her "lack of English language skills"...

Last edited:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Well, my MP, Diane Ablonczy, pulled through for us. Between her pressuring and my persistence, Vetania has an interview in August for the work visa. She will be informed in writing of the date. This, of course, does not guarantee a visa, however, the Canadian Embassy in Haiti is now answering to the Minister of Immigration's office (my MP and I also got the Canadian Minister of Immigration involved) on this file. While I remain skeptical due to not wanting to have false hopes, I am also very content that something further will come of this case, as Vetania was initally judged unfairly. Obviously, I am very happy with my MP's office, she really did come through on this - I don't think that communicating with an office like Haiti is an easy task, so I really give them credit. I will update more as more details unfold.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Trina-

I have been following this thread quietly with hopes that Betania gets the VISA. I was disappointed when she was turned down based on her English when she had not been interviewed and you were more than correct to take it further. In scenarios like these they must be forced to give a valid explanation and in this case it was clearly not valid.

I know you don't want to get too hopeful but it is a step in the right direction. Your MP deserves credit and IMO the turnaround was quick.

Now can you do some practice interviews with her on the phone just to help her with her English and she may have questions. That's what I would do, there's no logical reason why Betania should not get that VISA. Please help her by doing practice interviews. It will make a difference IMO.

Okay, bonne chance, bonne chance, bonne chance!

Espero que todo salga bien.

-LDG.

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I'm glad to hear that your MP was able to make a difference. Hopefully she will get the Visa. My 2 little chicas are enjoying themselves here in Belleville. Jenny is doing much better at learning English than Sandy, but they sure have no problem with SHOPPING. We have taken them to Ottawa and Kingston. This weekend it's off to Niagara Falls, after that Brazilfest in Toronto. Then we all head to Jarabacoa of 12-29 August to pickup Jose and mother-in-law.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Lesley: Thank you very much for the encouragement and 'good luck' wishes, I knew you would be rooting for us. I agree, my MP deserves a lot of credit. I'd reminded her when I spoke with her that she was formerly the Lead Critic for Opposition with regards to Immigration (in Parliament), and now it was a chance for her to 'put her money where her mouth was' and make a difference. She definitely rose to the challenge where many may not have. Betania and I had a practice interview yesterday, which was our fourth practice - we were still practicing even after she was declined, in hopes that things would turn around. We knew it would never hurt, so we continued as if the declination didn't happen. We will continue, and I am happy to report that she is doing very well. Our phone conversations are also now in English, whereas before, they were in Spanish. She also practices with her sisters who have taken many English courses, and speaks to friends who only speak English. Everyday, she surprises me with a wider vocabulary.

Bob: Thanks again for your kind words. I really admire you, you are a very good man for helping Yris' family the way you do. You are giving these girls an unforgetable experience and opportunity that they will always treasure.

cuas: The funny thing is, she sent all this documentation to Haiti with her original application (I hadn't known that she'd sent it to the Embassy until further conversations with her after the declination). She provided them with the University courses she's completed, as well as the subsequental English course documentation she is currently enrolled in. She has reached Level 5 of studies, FWIW. Haiti has somehow 'lost' that part of the file, according to my MP who had mentioned this to them. She will take these documents again to the interview. Thank you for your support!

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
This is good news Trina-

You know me anything I can do from a language perspective just let me know. You know where to find me.

Have a nice day.

-LDG.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Well, my MP, Diane Ablonczy, pulled through for us. Between her pressuring and my persistence, Vetania has an interview in August for the work visa. She will be informed in writing of the date. This, of course, does not guarantee a visa, however, the Canadian Embassy in Haiti is now answering to the Minister of Immigration's office (my MP and I also got the Canadian Minister of Immigration involved) on this file. While I remain skeptical due to not wanting to have false hopes, I am also very content that something further will come of this case, as Vetania was initally judged unfairly. Obviously, I am very happy with my MP's office, she really did come through on this - I don't think that communicating with an office like Haiti is an easy task, so I really give them credit. I will update more as more details unfold.

Well, it's been 2 weeks since notification that Betania will receive an interview in SD at the first set of interviews in August, and - surprise surprise - Betania still hasn't received notification of when her interview will be. I know, SHOCKING, isn't it? So I have sent yet another e-mail to the Manager of Immigration in Haiti, the Minister of Immigration in Canada, my MP's office, my contact in Santo Domingo, etc etc etc. I think I would rather pull all my hairs out, one by one, than deal with this Immigration stuff. I cannot believe that this is how our Immigration system runs, especially in light of our lack of labour resources.

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
Trina, your situation is a frustrating one. Keep pushing ahead. I am also dealing with a Dominican cousin of mine who is trying to visit Canada just to get to know this side of the family. I'll glady visit the Dominican Republic anytime but my mother, his aunt, is very ill and cannot travel.

I know that Canada is very careful about granting visitor's visas, and we have been receiving nothing but delays all along...at least you got an answer and have something to work with. Don't give up!

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Thank you Nikke. I have also been following your story with great interest. I wish you the best, and hope the visa is granted.

I am thinking of finding all the problems I can find on the web and sending the links to the Manager of Immigration's office. It would certainly make an interesting story for the Press, especially here in Calgary. I saw a sign outside of a Petro-Canada the other day that said, "WE NEED HELP. PLEASE APPLY." Can you imagine how the press would chew Immigration stories like this up? Perhaps then the government would get off their collective @sses and DO something about it, instead of blaming the previous Administration.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Response to Betania:

Well, it's been 2 weeks since notification that Betania will receive an interview in SD at the first set of interviews in August, and - surprise surprise - Betania still hasn't received notification of when her interview will be. I know, SHOCKING, isn't it? So I have sent yet another e-mail to the Manager of Immigration in Haiti, the Minister of Immigration in Canada, my MP's office, my contact in Santo Domingo, etc etc etc. I think I would rather pull all my hairs out, one by one, than deal with this Immigration stuff. I cannot believe that this is how our Immigration system runs, especially in light of our lack of labour resources.

This is what has been sent to Betania from the Immigration Manager in Haiti. Once again, I am left speechless at our delinquent Immigration system.

Hello,
Unfortunately, due to summer staff turn around and delays in finding replacements for leaving staff in Haiti, we currently do not have enough personnel to conduct interviews in Dominican Republic for the month of August.

We expect that we will have enough resources at the end of August at best, at which point applicants will be contacted for the scheduling of interviews.

I understand that this may come as a disappointment to you and your client, but trust that you understand our situation.
I am calling on the help of fellow DR1'ers to let me know if they know of any interviews at all (family class, etc) being held in SD this month. I would like to know if this is just another excuse because they forgot to schedule her in, or something. I would never use the interviewee's name, and would only mention of knowing about a person who has an interview during August. Please PM me if you have any information.

Thanks,
Trina

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
This is what has been sent to Betania from the Immigration Manager in Haiti. Once again, I am left speechless at our delinquent Immigration system.

I am calling on the help of fellow DR1'ers to let me know if they know of any interviews at all (family class, etc) being held in SD this month. I would like to know if this is just another excuse because they forgot to schedule her in, or something. I would never use the interviewee's name, and would only mention of knowing about a person who has an interview during August. Please PM me if you have any information.

Thanks,
Trina

Well apparently my cousin has an appointment next week for his visitor's visa. The Embassy made the appointment for him on August 3rd when he was left waiting. I am not sure if the staffing issue arose since then, and he has not been advised of any cancellation. That said we will find out next week if he meets anyone. I will let you know what happens.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Thanks, nikke. Needless to say, that does not surprise me in the least. I was positive that it was just another blunder made by the Embassy, they forgot to give her an interview, and now they're telling me no interviews will be conducted. I hope your cousin is not left waiting next week again!

Oh the frustration!

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
I love reading stories like this on DR1. Sounds like typical political red tape. I hope she gets her visa after all this work has been put in.

I wish you luck and dont give up!