Dominican Peso

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Thank you!
You are eiter an "8 Year Old From a developed country", or, a lot smarter than I.
Probably the latter!
Remove the "Hipolito Peak" of 2004, (I change US Dollars like a "Drunken Sailor"!!),and the trend is DR peso devaluation "vis a vi" the US dollar.
CC

I guarantee that i am not smarter than you. have you see me drive or eat?

No, listen, brother, my mental growth is stunted like you wouldn't believe. i both think and act like an 8yr old from an undeveloped country. So, please, never take advice from me. Wait...i'm thinking clearly now. i just had coffee. I'll continue playing the Peso (DOP) % interest poker game until at some point, i either run out of chips or i fold my hand.

"Some people know when to hold them, and some know when to fold them; some people know when to walk away, and some people know when to run." I got arthritis, i'm not going anywhere.

Love Frank

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Have to love Frank and his 'humble pie"!!!!!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4OE4l88h49E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Frank, it doesn't matter if you get 100% per year on your pesos.
If DR inflation is 200%, (Hypothetically Speaking)
Add to that, devaluation against the US/Eurozone currencies.
Where is your "profit"????
NOW for the "800lb."Gorilla" in the room, will the DR gov. insure your pesos in a bank, or finance house "CD"????
Do I need to answer THAT???
PS, sorry Frank, I posted the "8 year old" comment for "Sayanora" for loading the currency graph.
I think that both you, and especially ME, have "Elevators" that don't go all the way to top floor!
AND, we like it that way!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

"Me Want FOOD Now!!!"

Last edited:

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Thank you!
You are eiter an "8 Year Old From a developed country", or, a lot smarter than I.
Probably the latter!
Remove the "Hipolito Peak" of 2004, (I change US Dollars like a "Drunken Sailor"!!),and the trend is DR peso devaluation "vis a vi" the US dollar.
CC

Let me find a 30 year graph so you can really **** your pants.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Whoever is charting the next graph....
please give us the risk/reward analysis.

Plot the interest rates and devaluation rates ( x & y axes )

Where they intersect is when the lifeguard blows his whistle and yells.........

Everybody out of the pool !!

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Yeah, my wife told me, back in around 1980 when she and her brother were send to school with one Peso they were Kings of the day! :)

my wife has told me that when she was growing up, with 1 peso, she could go to the movie, buy snacks and get transportation and still go home with change. the money went a long way

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Maybe I am missing something here.
If they cash in 4,000,000 RD into dollars today they will get 100,000 US (at 40 pesos to the dollar).
So they will loose 360,000 RD in future interest.
If they cash in their 4,000,000 at 50 pesos to the dollar in the future they will have 80,000 US and 360,000 RD in interest.
Therfore they have lost 20,000 US to gain 360,000 RD.
At 50 RD to the dollar the 360,000 will be worth 7,200 US
20,000 US - 7,200 US = they will have lost 12,800 US over that time period.

(There are a lot of variables with these calculations and this is assuming that the rate goes from 40 to 50 in a year)

If dollar gets to 50 in a year (unlikely, since it has only gone from 27 to 40 in 8 years), I guess Banco Central will raise the interest rate for CDs to keep people from going the dollar way. So that throws off all the math. I think it's unpredictable. If you're staying in DR, keep the pesos and put some of them to work for you.

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
NOW- 4 million pesos equals US$100,000

Interest 360,000 over the year

AFTER 4,360,000 equals US$87200

If the currency devalues more than 43.6, you start to lose interest and principal.

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Banco Central will raise interest rates that they will pay in future contracts, but if you are locked in for say , 3 years and no out clause...but things are unpredictable.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yesterday in Banco Popular 40.25. Today 40.40.

Matilda

if it is 40.40 in Banco Popular, it is probably 40.50 in RUSA, and other Casas de Cambio. and, as most people know, the real exchange rate is the black market rate.

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
I just noticed some banks allow you to do 30 day minimum investments, which is a better alternative then locking in a fixed rate for 1 year.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
you are off a little with your numbers. most banks only give you straight interest. if they were to compound it monthly then you would have more than what you stated

Yes, you are 100% correct. However, my bank bank compounds the interest monthly.

No, i'm sorry, i cannot name the bank.

Frank

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011
I like your thinking, but let's do a little math:

Lets say you have 4,000,000 (4 million pesos) at 10 percent interest, compounded monthly.

1. you will receive 400,000 a year as interest but under the new law, you will pay 10 percent tax on that interest or 40,000 pesos

2. you now have $360,000 a year in interest--not including it compounding monthly.

3. Still, your cautious. That's good. So am i (despite the way i drive). Let's say you stay on the sidelines...meanwhile, the pesos doesn't go to 50/1, which means you just lost out on $360,000 pesos in interest--more than that if you had let it compound monthly, or it goes to 50/1 and the compounded monthly interest has offset the decrease of the pesos value. You still got $360,000 pesos in interest. That pays the rent for one hell of a nice condo on the beach, or a car, or a new motorcycle every year, or a lot of eating out with a few girlfriends to accommodate you at your table.

I'm all for caution, and i strongly recommend people doing their homework, but the fact remains...$360,000 pesos a year--and this is even after you'v paid the $40,000 in taxes on interest to the government--is a hell of a lot more money than you're ever going to back in the USA.

Now tell me...how many meals does $360,000 pesos purchase? How much chocolate can that purchase a year? How many girlfriends will that accommodate on the weekends? How many new Beaver pelts to add to your collection? How many gallons of gas? How many teeth to help that effervescence smile? and how many inches to your manly tool to help reach hard to reach places?

Frank

Anytime you speculate, you run a risk. Let's use your figures as an example.

In the last year, the USD has gained about 3 pesos. Therefore, if you had $100,000 USD (currently 4,000,000 DOP) and you figure that the increase will be the same this year, you would end the year with an increase in value of 300,000 pesos. That is slightly less than if you had kept your money in a peso account paying 10%. However, if the dollar gains 4 pesos this year, you are coming out behind.

It's all a gamble. You just have to decide how much of a gambler you are.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
AND, if your US dollars are in a "FDIC" account, and the money disappears, the US government insurance corp. gives it back.
In the DR????
"Not So Much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
It should be reiterated here that the 10% Central Bank CD is not a wise investment if you plan on converting the money back and forth from dollars to pesos. This CD only makes sense if you live here, spend money here, and pay your bills in pesos. I certainly would never make this kind of CD investment if i planned on converting back to dollars a year later. Too many things could go wrong with the pesos (DOP) and it could devaluate as many people here has suggested.

I see this kind of CD investment for people who have extra money sitting in a US bank account, accruing 2% interest, while at the same time they're living here and paying their bills in DOP pesos. For these people, who's long haul is to live here and use the peso here, then this 10% can be a nice little extra coffee break at the end of the year.

Frank

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
AND, if your US dollars are in a "FDIC" account, and the money disappears, the US government insurance corp. gives it back.
In the DR????
"Not So Much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

You can't argue with this logic right here. there's something to be said in having reliable insurance from the government.

frank

Jan 9, 2004
2s1sj5t.png

Sayanora:

Thanks for the chart.

From time to time a thread or two is opened on investing in DOP's. Invariably, people see or read about the higher yields and are immediately drawn to them like moths to a light.

And in certain circumstances, that vary from person to person, an investment in pesos may be worthwhile. However keeping dollars or euros and earning a small rate of return and accessing that money through an ATM, wire transfer, or otherwise is still not all that bad a strategy....and here is why.

First, your money in a US account (assuming you keep it in the US) is FDIC insured. Not so in the DR...there is no deposit insurance. If a bank collapses, you are not guaranteed return of your funds.

Second, the peso has been depreciating per the chart at various rates between 3-4% per year since the banking crisis. So just by keeping your account in dollars you are earning interest in your US account (however small) and another 3-4% per year vis a vis the exchange rate moving favorably toward those dollars.....and that is with no/little risk.

Keeping pesos in an account in DR "might' yield 10%, depending upon the amount invested and the length of time....but your money is at risk in lots of ways.

First, no FDIC insurance. Ask those people with accounts at Baninter Bank or one of the others that closed in 2003-2004 about that.

Second, During that period and during other periods, dollars were scarce in the DR. Trying to withdraw dollars became a very scary proposition. Some banks limited the amount you were allowed to withdraw each day, while others simply had no dollars available.

Third, assuming you can find dollars, there is a conversion fee. All the banks quote what they will pay/exchange dollars for, but they also list the amount of pesos needed to buy dollars. That differential, the spread, must be taken into account in any decision to invest in peso certificates.

Additionally, you have a new tax on interest that must be calculated....and will affect your returns.

Also, some wildcards that have not come to pass in the DR, but have happened elsewhere in Latin America need to be considered. Mexico on multiple occasions has devalued its curency overnight. By way of example, people went to bed with old pesos and woke up to a new peso whose exhange rate had been devalued along with their purchasing power.

Finally, countries have imposed limits on the amount of hard currency that may be sent out of the country, forcing people to keep their money tied up in the banks....all the while the currency depreciates.

As one makes an anaylsis about investing in a currency, bear in mind all those factors above, then make your own decision based on your needs, risk tolerance, etc.

One last point. there has only been one time in the last ten years when investing in pesos would have made you the kind of money commensurate with the risks associated with a third world country. That point is when the peso broke 50 in 2004.

By buying at 50 and hanging on for the wild ride that was to come, some investors did well for the risk, as the peso with large dollar infusions from the IMF to prevent a total collapse of the banking system strengthened to 28:1. That would have been the time to buy back dollars and make money.

Again, everyones risk tolerance will be different and every one should assess their own individual appetite for those risks....and make no mistake about it those risks are real.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011
It should be reiterated here that the 10% Central Bank CD is not a wise investment if you plan on converting the money back and forth from dollars to pesos. This CD only makes sense if you live here, spend money here, and pay your bills in pesos. I certainly would never make this kind of CD investment if i planned on converting back to dollars a year later. Too many things could go wrong with the pesos (DOP) and it could devaluate as many people here has suggested.

I see this kind of CD investment for people who have extra money sitting in a US bank account, accruing 2% interest, while at the same time they're living here and paying their bills in DOP pesos. For these people, who's long haul is to live here and use the peso here, then this 10% can be a nice little extra coffee break at the end of the year.

Frank

If you know a bank that is paying 2% in the U.S., let me know. I'll move some money there.