Dominican Republic food imports jump 17% in March to US$220.5 M

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Well, the title was misleading, in my case.

Was on a small tour of the cibao. With the drought (??? Lack of water ), the cattle condition is critical. Much less grazing stuff than other years.
So what happens ? farmers/producers have to buy much more food. Thats OK if u own a gazillion tareas and are a friend of the gardner of the niece of the wife of the cousin of a minister/diputado/general, and dont pay taxes or water or luz......
But if u are a small farmer it is life threatening !!!!!

So near me, there is a fairly constant traffic of small trucks ( those dahitsu thingy kinds ). The goverment is cutting sugar cane to sell cheap and feed the cattle ( 1000 pesos per lorry load ).
Side effect : local dominicans move onto the fields and grab a piece of land for themselves..... ( and plant platano, of course....)

Oh and do I need to tell u who is employed to cut the cane in the scorching sun and heat at 350 rd$ a day.....?
3 guesses.......

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Well, the title was misleading, in my case.

Was on a small tour of the cibao. With the drought (??? Lack of water ), the cattle condition is critical. Much less grazing stuff than other years.
So what happens ? farmers/producers have to buy much more food. Thats OK if u own a gazillion tareas and are a friend of the gardner of the niece of the wife of the cousin of a minister/diputado/general, and dont pay taxes or water or luz......
But if u are a small farmer it is life threatening !!!!!

So near me, there is a fairly constant traffic of small trucks ( those dahitsu thingy kinds ). The goverment is cutting sugar cane to sell cheap and feed the cattle ( 1000 pesos per lorry load ).
Side effect : local dominicans move onto the fields and grab a piece of land for themselves..... ( and plant platano, of course....)

Oh and do I need to tell u who is employed to cut the cane in the scorching sun and heat at 350 rd$ a day.....?
3 guesses.......

sorry malko,
but,
out of the above post,
what's the ****ing point??

Mike

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
sorry malko,
but,
out of the above post,
what's the ****ing point??

Mike

Well the ****ing point would be....... slowly.....

Less rain, less water, less produce, same number of cattle mouths ( and human for that matter ) = more imports......
As , I said the title was misleading to me.

Normal years I can sell 1 platano for 5-pesos...... this year I have sold at 9 pesos a piece and even one load at 11...... so I guess that means there are less platanos than normally..... no ?

Other example, a 50lb bag of corn normally I would buy for 1100-1200, these past 2 months, 1500 or more.
So we buy the cheaper imported-oil-extracted-US-corn.......... hence more imports.....

Hope that clears it up for you.....

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Well the ****ing point would be....... slowly.....

Less rain, less water, less produce, same number of cattle mouths ( and human for that matter ) = more imports......
As , I said the title was misleading to me.

Normal years I can sell 1 platano for 5-pesos...... this year I have sold at 9 pesos a piece and even one load at 11...... so I guess that means there are less platanos than normally..... no ?

Other example, a 50lb bag of corn normally I would buy for 1100-1200, these past 2 months, 1500 or more.
So we buy the cheaper imported-oil-extracted-US-corn.......... hence more imports.....

Hope that clears it up for you.....

thats a point.

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
but 17% of a country's total import volume???
suc would be possible at small places with a few habitants,
but sure not for the volume of the 2nd biggest Island of the caribbean.
noooo freakin'way

Mike