Dominican secret!!!!

Welt

May 11, 2010
Live no, but I have one , it speaks and I find them very accurate , easy to program , clear to view and many options and reasonably priced and it will provide you with everything you'll need I believe. current location etc

Mine gives live navigation.

Welt

May 11, 2010
My Garmin, is extremely accurate I have tested in a couple of other countries but I haven't tested in DR but my cousin told me that it works good there.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
on last vist I took a little "road trip" from Cortecito up to Macao beach. The maps, (downloaded from google plus a local map) looked like a very easy route. As it turned out it IS pretty easy, but there is one left turn that is not well marked, and not clear on the maps. Missing the turn, the trip became a little longer with a bit of exploration, but in the end it was O.K. and we found our way. I wish I had also downloaded the Google satellite views with the map overlay... They have helped many times in the past here in the U.S., and once or twice finding places in the D.R. -- but you have to be able to do some "photo analysis" as in... this photo shows that building, or other landmark; but you have to realize that the images are months or years old and might be a little different than what is there now.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
android

when there was no GPS, you would just get around by asking. a lot of times call the place where you're going and they will give u the tips ahead of time. (left in car dealer, right on blue colmado). now with GPS i guess its easier

by the way, some android phones, like the tmobile G2 come with the map preloaded on the phone so you dont even need a data plan while in DR. the older android phones had to download the map through data plan. im moving there in 4 weeks and will be bringing my phone with me to get around
I have an android incredible,would that work in DR?can i connect it down there and still be able to access the apps and download new ones?I have Google maps on it

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
thank you,would definitely look into that...and don't worry,feel free to take some jabs,New Yorkers can definitely take it on the jaw lol
I was going to give u a hard time being from NY and all but u make a valid point. LOL! Invest in the new Garmin GPS it has updates from the smallest countries to the largest and it gives u live satellite updates for traffic. I have one and it is best for u in countries like DR where a lot of streets might not be listed.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
many years ago i bought myself a passola.
got to know santo domingo using that.
i can find my way to nearly every place either side of the river, but am hopeless when it comes to street names.

wouldn't recommend doing the same thing these days, but it was a great way to learn.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I have an android incredible,would that work in DR?can i connect it down there and still be able to access the apps and download new ones?I have Google maps on it

...Of course it works. Make sure to download the offline version of maps so you don't have to use your data plan from The Us, or if you have a phone with a Sim card then make sure it's unlocked and get a card down here. of course you can also use it anywhere you get Wi-Fi.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
With all the motorsickles in the place I couldn't recommend anything that would cause you to take your eyes off the road for even a second. Good maps are all one needs and I've practically covered the whole island driving with no problems and in fact did this even before I could speak any Spanish.

puyaca

Aug 4, 2011
With all the motorsickles in the place I couldn't recommend anything that would cause you to take your eyes off the road for even a second. Good maps are all one needs and I've practically covered the whole island driving with no problems and in fact did this even before I could speak any Spanish.

The maps talk to you...at least the Google ones I've used.

Welt

May 11, 2010
thank you,would definitely look into that...and don't worry,feel free to take some jabs,New Yorkers can definitely take it on the jaw lol

I lived in NY for a while but New Yorkers are supposed to be able to handle all kind of traffic and direction issues you know. LOL!

May 12, 2005
Honestly getting around is not that difficult. Asking for landmarks is always good. But for me, driving someplace a few times, is all I need to remember. Pay attention as you go places. I haven't driven from Santiago to Nagua via SFM in a few years but if you said let's go now and we hopped in a car, I'd remember the way.

Jul 4, 2010
In case your GPS malfunctions or is lost, and you're at a total loss concerning your whereabouts, and find yourself in the uncomfortable predicament of having to ask for direction from a total stranger, never take for granted the accuracy of any direction given, notwithstanding the enthusiasm the person shows in helping you. I would suggest asking three separate persons, and if two of them coincide with the same directions, then you have a 66.6 percent probability of finding your way.

vid809

Jun 28, 2011
i dont know how those GPS work for you guys because the address system itself is messed up. there is no standard address like in the US. here if you type 1234 n calle drive 33123 you get somewhere. overthere i ask people for their address and they tell me "ave charles de gaulle between san isidro y mendoza..." "o yea numero 9" so you still have to go by landmarks and directions from actual people. so the GPS is a tool to help you get there, should not depend on it 100%

vid809

Jun 28, 2011
^^ this applies when visiting family or houses. big businesses do have a formal address ^^

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
nycdad...you have alot of questions. I realize your doing your homework but with all these questions are you sure this is what your really looking to do. Seems like you have family here that can give you more of a day-day living situation. Maybe you should come here for a few months and see if all that you are seeking is here in "mi bella Quisqueya".

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
otherwise

I wouldn't be asking
nycdad...you have alot of questions. I realize your doing your homework but with all these questions are you sure this is what your really looking to do. Seems like you have family here that can give you more of a day-day living situation. Maybe you should come here for a few months and see if all that you are seeking is here in "mi bella Quisqueya".

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Didn't read the thread but if you bring me a decent android phone with large screen, I will install you a gps program and offline map for free of this country.
'AZB