Dominican Slang Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
golo said:
It is hard to tell. There are many stories, They throw garbage on the streets, urinate anywhere, read newspapers backwards(sports and lottery winnings first), they are loud, listen to merengue and bachata from early morning hours, love to play dominoes on sidewalks, hand-dry their clothes from balconies, sit on sidewalks to eat, etc..

The majority of chopos are black or mestizos, with kinky hair, fat lips and noses. In the old days they wore gold teeth(Just like Tyson, the ultimate American chopo). But now whites are joining the chopo ranks in droves. As chopo-like Europeans remain in DR, more white are now joining. Italians and Germans are prone to chopoism, something that is not hard for many who come from blue collar areas. Notice how Germans easily switch to drinking a Presidente "Big one" straight from the bottle, just like chopos do. Beer is the drink of the poor and the uneducated. It is a "bleacher bum" drink.(Ever seen American chopos drinking beer at Shea Stadium without shirts on showing their big fat belly?)

Sorry if I offended many. It is the truth.

TW

A lot of the chopo's must drive lexus, and other expensive cars then, I can forgive the uneducated for throwing trash down the hill. I have more trouble though with the "educated, with money" throwing it out their car window. And I see almost as much trash along the street in Arroyo Hondo as I do in Villa Milla. You would think the educated would know better.

El Belga

Feb 17, 2004
www.betranslated.com
Who are you to criticize beer drinkers ?

golo said:
Beer is the drink of the poor and the uneducated.
TW

I will let nobody say that beer is the drink of the poor and the uneducated. Who are you to talk about beer ? What do you know about it ? You drank Presidente, and Bud and you think you can judge every beer in the world ??Would you call "Chopilandia" a country that produces 600 (yes, six hundreds) different beers ? I am from Belgium and in my country, beer is almost a religion, a little bit like wine in Frence. As far as I know, there are much more educated and rich people in Belgium than in DR (although I'm not proud of this situation) and most of the people drink beer (not only beer, but this is the national beverage, such as rum in DR. The only difference is that there is 3 brands of rum in DR and 600 beers in Belgium).

I guess you have some kind of complex being dominican and try to show off you are a well integrated US citizen, just criticizing low class people. Encima, uno se emborracha mas r?pido con ron que con cerveza, y cuesta menos !

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
So. . . .Golo. . .what is the Domincan slang for "snob". You know somebody that thinks he is better than others because of the school his family was able to afford sending him to?

I never have heard Leonel curse. I don't believe he has been caught urinating in public. . . . . .

Most "civilized" people have a great deal of respect for people that came from humble beginnings and made a life for themselves. If Leonel came from the BG you described. . . .and has become president of his nation TWICE, he deserves respect. Even if he has nappy hair and a big nose and lips.

You sound like such a euro/anglo wannabe. . . . .LOL;-)

golo said:
It is hard to tell. There are many stories, but none can be confirmed. I have heard that just like the term "pariguayo", which means many things, among others: nerd, fool, everyone's idiot,knuckle head, etc. etc., came from the english "party watcher"( A party watcher was a person that would drop by parties without being invited and just stood there watching. We call them "paracaidistas" today(parachutists), the term chopa could have come from "Chopped meat".

If it isn't, it is not far from what a chopo is. The chopo is the chopped meat of society. It is a vulgar person with rudimentary skills and style, roug around the edges, foul in its language and with a propensity to speak thru slangs. Chopos have no manners and little concern for its enviroment. They throw garbage on the streets, urinate anywhere, read newspapers backwards(sports and lottery winnings first), they are loud, listen to merengue and bachata from early morning hours, love to play dominoes on sidewalks, hand-dry their clothes from balconies, sit on sidewalks to eat, etc..

The majority of chopos are black or mestizos, with kinky hair, fat lips and noses. In the old days they wore gold teeth(Just like Tyson, the ultimate American chopo). But now whites are joining the chopo ranks in droves. As chopo-like Europeans remain in DR, more white are now joining. Italians and Germans are prone to chopoism, something that is not hard for many who come from blue collar areas. Notice how Germans easily switch to drinking a Presidente "Big one" straight from the bottle, just like chopos do. Beer is the drink of the poor and the uneducated. It is a "bleacher bum" drink.(Ever seen American chopos drinking beer at Shea Stadium without shirts on showing their big fat belly?)

Sorry if I offended many. It is the truth.

TW

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Jerga de nuestros vecinos....

Some slang is common across the Caribbean Spanish speaking countries ie. Cuba, la RD and Puerto Rico or simply can be understood from the context. Let's see if you know the meaning of these words from Cuba and Puerto Rico:

Puerto Rico

1) ajumarse
2) cocolo
3) chango
4) cheche
5) enfogonado
6) hablar paja
7) metido en el ba?l
8) yal
9) janguear (se usa mucho en Nueva York)
10) fracat?n
11) chavo
12) dar lata

Cuba

1) asere
2) bac?n
3) ?qu? bol??
4) ch?ngana
5) ?de pinga!
6) fula
7) jinetera
8) maluco
9) papirriqui
10) estar/ser/andar salado

Just an fyi...I learned most of the PR slang that I know from listen to merengue and the Cuban slang from novels.

I will provide the answers later on. Should be interesting.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Let's give this a try...

Puerto Rico

1) ajumarse - to get drunk
5) enfogonado - pissed off
6) hablar paja - to babble
10) fracat?n - a lot
11) chavo - money (isn't that 'guy' in Venezuela?)
12) dar lata - to bother

Cuba
5) ?de pinga! - Terrific!
7) jinetera - hooker
10) estar/ser/andar salado - to be jinxed

How did I do?

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Felicitaciones. You are good. So far all are correct. And the others any idea?

Pib said:
Let's give this a try...

Puerto Rico

1) ajumarse - to get drunk
5) enfogonado - pissed off
6) hablar paja - to babble
10) fracat?n - a lot
11) chavo - money (isn't that 'guy' in Venezuela?)
12) dar lata - to bother

Cuba
5) ?de pinga! - Terrific!
7) jinetera - hooker
10) estar/ser/andar salado - to be jinxed

How did I do?

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Guys and Gals, the chopo battle has been a long and drawn out one on this here board. There are many here, like Golo, who somehow feel it is necessary to make the rest the DR1 community believe that he has class like no other. That is one topic that we can go on and on about, I did it before, it goes nowhere.

There are many, MANY threads that talk about chopo and the perception of chopos by foreigners. The explanation that we Dominicans grew up with and the way that Golo and the other use it are very different.

So, in conclusion, I can say how much class I have and how non-chopo I can be while I live in the town that is paved with gold all I want on this board on the magical internet, and the truth is that you wont know the truth.

It is very easy to degrade others while hiding in the dark...

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
TD,

Muy bien. I agree with you 100%. This is an old and tired topic (and I have not seen all the threads) but so long as people keep initiating a discussion about it, it will never be put to rest.

Talldrink said:
Guys and Gals, the chopo battle has been a long and drawn out one on this here board. There are many here, like Golo, who somehow feel it is necessary to make the rest the DR1 community believe that he has class like no other. That is one topic that we can go on and on about, I did it before, it goes nowhere.

There are many, MANY threads that talk about chopo and the perception of chopos by foreigners. The explanation that we Dominicans grew up with and the way that Golo and the other use it are very different.

So, in conclusion, I can say how much class I have and how non-chopo I can be while I live in the town that is paved with gold all I want on this board on the magical internet, and the truth is that you wont know the truth.

It is very easy to degrade others while hiding in the dark...

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Unbelievable! That's all I am going to say. People are really pathetic and most of time the term is being used freely by "foreigners" who I am convinced don't know what it truly means. Sometimes a dictionary definition is too cut and dry and to understand cultural terms "one needs to grow up in the culture" not "grow into the culture like these foreigners" who are very liberal when throwing the term around.

Es lamentable pero que se puede hacer.

Lesley D

Talldrink said:

Last edited:

prima25

Aug 18, 2007
How do you say?
Your mad because im your competition and Im winning and your losing? So get over it. Im always going to be on top no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.