Dominican (street)espanol escrito

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
A technique a use to understand these messages (been there, heck still am), is this:

-memorize the text, don't care about its meaning at the moment
-Close your eyes and relax
-Picture the cutie in your head
-Imagine her moving her lips and saying what you memorized, it will all become clear
-Enjoy

-

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Al Diabolo

Ei Diablo, ete tre sita lento. :D

The devil is in the details!
Just stick to proper Spanish and don't worry about illiterate gibberish.
If one goes to the effort to write or text you should know K lo K.
Same goes for speaking properly..la vacano!

Amu

Oct 4, 2010
The devil is in the details!
Just stick to proper Spanish and don't worry about illiterate gibberish.
If one goes to the effort to write or text you should know K lo K.
Same goes for speaking properly..la vacano!

hehe, i know, im dominican :p

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
I received this one:

de nada y gual k pace buenas noches

It's quite amazing how even in a short text like that there are errors. Then some of these people in the DR wonder why they can't get formal jobs. Maybe in the DR one can get away with illiteracy but when some have to go abroad to live the reality steps in. They do not get the opportunity to improve and choose better jobs because their illiteracy and education issues follow them combined with mediocre English skills.

Is it that difficult to spell igual and pase (from the verb pasar)?

This is not texting short forms. The only text short form in that message is k= que.

C'est incroyable!

-MP.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012

Of course it is, for some people. Correct spelling requires mental effort. First, you have to learn the correct spelling, and then when you're going to type a word, you have to recall what the correct spelling is. Writing or typing just by the sound of it is always going to be easier.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
It's quite amazing how even in a short text like that there are errors. Then some of these people in the DR wonder why they can't get formal jobs. Maybe in the DR one can get away with illiteracy but when some have to go abroad to live the reality steps in. They do not get the opportunity to improve and choose better jobs because their illiteracy and education issues follow them combined with mediocre English skills.

This is not texting short forms. The only text short form in that message is k= que.

C'est incroyable!

-MP.
I think most of the Dominicans I deal with have very little experience with the written word, with the exception of what they punch into their phones and computers. I think the concept that there are rules, other than making what you put down sound like what it would coming out of your mouth, is foreign. Considering that, to a foreigner who learned Spanish in a classroom in another country, trying to reconcile what is coming out of their mouths is difficult enough, the above mentioned rule doesn't help them in communicating with the outside world. We had to send money last week and the recipient butchered her last name: bazque instead of Vasquez, she had no clue how that was a problem, and she had her cedula in hand, because she got the number correct. Forget about a formal job, with skills like that your ability to seek assistance from your family is impaired.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I think most of the Dominicans I deal with have very little experience with the written word, with the exception of what they punch into their phones and computers. I think the concept that there are rules, other than making what you put down sound like what it would coming out of your mouth, is foreign. Considering that, to a foreigner who learned Spanish in a classroom in another country, trying to reconcile what is coming out of their mouths is difficult enough, the above mentioned rule doesn't help them in communicating with the outside world. We had to send money last week and the recipient butchered her last name: bazque instead of Vasquez, she had no clue how that was a problem, and she had her cedula in hand, because she got the number correct. Forget about a formal job, with skills like that your ability to seek assistance from your family is impaired.

My question was more of a rhetorical nature. I was not expecting a response from anyone per se as I am well aware and familiar with the disastrous spelling in the DR and the reasons behind it. My post was merely to display how incredulous it is in such a short phrase there are basic errors which answers the question why a paragraph is full of mistakes and becomes a challenge for people who are literate to be able to read what is written.

Your post is on point and your observations are right about how spelling and writing is a problem etc in the DR. Basic communication such as this is fundamental but yet problematic for so many.

-MP.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The person who sent the text left school after 8th grade, but my son is in 7th and he knows that pasar is spelt with an 's' and that igual is one word.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
From today's List?n Diario: "Benedicto XVI escribir? hoy su ?ltimo tuit... "

For once they seem to be right. It appears the Real Academia Espa?ola is admitting tuit as a word.

algunas de las novedades que se han incluido recientemente en la versi?n digital del Diccionario, entre ellas libro electr?nico, tableta, blog. Tambi?n estar?n tuitear, tuit, tuiteo y tuitero.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
The person who sent the text left school after 8th grade, but my son is in 7th and he knows that pasar is spelt with an 's' and that igual is one word.

Just imagine many Dominican students in the public education system today do not reach grade eight. It’s a vicious cycle and a serious social problem in the DR that is impeding advancement of the masses. Your son is an exception and most likely his peers too. I know you are doing your job as a parent. Keep up the good work.

From today's List?n Diario: "Benedicto XVI escribir? hoy su ?ltimo tuit... "

Actually, that’s fine because new words have been created in Spanish that derived from English due to the technological age in which we live. Tuit and tuitear are perfect examples and they have been phonetically adapted for Spanish as you can see by the spelling. This example plus other SMS codes in the language are what are common in Spanish among those who choose to text. I know you know the difference between text messaging and illiteracy. That’s why the title of this thread is quite misleading.

What are the variations or equivalent of the words for email and text that you have heard in Spanish?

-un email and un correo seem to be the most common.

- a text (message)- I think many people just say un text although un texto exists in Spanish. I have not really paid attention that much but I know I have heard it.

-MP.

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Feliz cumplea?os ! .. ke lo pasi muy bien cn tu familia y cercanos
I see posts like the above on facebook all the time. This happens to be a birthday greeting for a girl (Chilean) I sponsored through Children International for years, from one of her friends. For a beginning Spanish speaker like me...it might as well be Greek, although I get the gist of it.