Dominican visa so hard to get?

E

EL LOCO

Well all these comments regarding Visa is all opinions which in some way it i good and bad. Personally, I think people from Europe and Canada are not consideres minorities and we are..mexican go through the same thing and why is that..They are not looked as dope dealers..or people that hang on the streets and play dominoes..those things are what ignorant people that don't know what the hell is going on ..See

People need a someone to point at..The bad guys is always pointed at...I guess we are the bad guys..why are we bad..beacuse we are minorities or just because we hang out and play dominoes..Rememeber one thing about the US..why out fore fathers wrote that thing called the Declaration of Independence..try going back to your pre-school notes..and open your mind..

Dominicans will grow so immensely in the future ..Just like the internet will be a multibillionare busniess by the year 2003 ..so will Dominicans or latinos in general.. so by degrading us or killing us or arresting us ..nothing wil get resolved..we will still try to come to this country...corruption is everywhere..every government organization is corrupted..there is always a BACK DOOR..MONEY speaks louder than words..$$$$..Dominicans are realizing that education is a factor to survive in the US.so we will study..graduate become professionals equals opportunities for other Dominicans..Well that is it for me..

M

Martine

You're right Loren, it's just as hard to get a visa to Canada. The rationale being that Canada fears Dominicans, (Cubans, Mexicans, etc.) will come here and either work illegally or ask for refugee status and then apply for welfare, therefore living off the people. As this is a big problem in Canada, they are very reluctant to give visitors' visas. They will usually give them to elderly people who are visiting their children already living here, rationale being that they are old and will not wish to live in this country and will therefore return to theirs'. Between you and me, if you were 65 would you want to move to a country that has 4 months of winter ?

A

arcoiris

The US has an open border with Canada, not so with our Latin neighbors. The US and Canada both speak English and were once English territories. The Spanish came into this hemisphere long before the English, but the Spanish and English didn't get along. The US southwest, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California, Colorado, Nevada and Oklahoma were part of Mexico and President Polk waged war to steal these territories from Mexico. There has always been tension between the Spanish and English in this hemisphere. It is time for this to stop. There is discrimination against Latin Americans. You guys are admiring all the poor Europeans who came here because things in Europe were bad, and how they worked to send money home and bring family here; till the US is full of Europeans and their descendants. But despise the same thing in a Latin American mestizo? How hypocritical! Columbus was the first illegal immigrant. Latin Americans who come here are not immigrating, but migrating.

A

A. Nony Mouse

Many years ago, Canada had a quota system for immigration. Countries which had a high general level of education such as England, Germany, the USA and so on of course had much higher quotas than say African countries. It was decided that the quota system was, intentionally or not, effectively discrimating on colour. It was thrown out.

Canada now operates on a point system for immigration visas. Points are awarded for what the government believes are factors that will improve the chances of a successfull adaptation and help Canada to develop. Under this system an African, a Dominican or a German have equal opportunity to obtain a Canadian Immigration visa.

Points are awarded for:

- Fluency in one of Candada's official languages, French or English. - Age. (Young people adapt better). - Willingness to live in remote regions of Canada. (Usually North) - Posessing skills and work experience in high demand. (Not necessarily advanced eduacation.)

You can probably determine your chances of getting an immigration visa by an honest evaluation of how you rate on the above criteria. It is a competition. There is an overall quota.

Visitor visas are a completely different matter. The government's policy is that you should apply for an immigration visa from outside Canada if that is your intention.

Ease of obtaining a visitor visa to enter Canada will vary greatly from one country of origin to another. This is based primarily on Canada's experience in the past with visitor's from each country. Person's attempting to obtain visitor's visas from countries where Canada found that a high percentage forgot to leave Canada when their visit was up will have a harder time.

The next criteria is how likely is the person to return to his country of origin. They feel that a businessman with property and a business, or good job, in his country of origin is more likely not to overextend his visit. Makes sense doesn't it?

The one loophole in Canada and the US is political asylum. No matter how you entered the country, if you can convince immigration authorities that your life is in danger in your country of origin because of your colour, religion, political beliefs, etc. you may apply for asylum. This is not as easy as it used to be because of past abuses.

Marriage to a Canadian citizen used to be the fastest way to get an immigration visa to Canada regardless of other qualifications. This policy resulted in so many marriages of convenience that the brakes had to be applied here too.

I think on balance that the Canadian and US governments have tried to balance humanitarian considerations with the protection of the existing tax payers. Not an easy task.

A. Nony Moose

M

Martine

Very well said and absolutely true too. The amount of marriages to get immigrants into Canada rose meteorically some years ago. They are now trying to curb that tendancy by reminding people that they will be responsible for their spouse for 10 years, regardless of whether or not they stay married.

J

jim

Re: Toilet Mafia

dominicans want to come here because,$7.oo per hour is a lot better then $40-50 US per wk.and if they want to work real hard there are all sorts of opportunities,not to mention they can put their kids through a good school,or maybe themselfs.i know a lot of them that have done very well here,their own bussiness,their own homes etc.i don't think going back to the DR to impress people is a high priority of theirs,its more of a case of just wanting an opportunity to get ahead.

L

Loren

Non sequitir

The US has an open border with Canada because there is not an illegal immigrant problem with Canada. Citizens of other countries can easily visit the United States if there is not an immigration problem. Bahamian citizens dont have a problem, for example.

Who here is admiring european immigrants or despising latin immigrants? you seem to be angry and fustrated about something but randomly projecting your anger at anyone making a post.

Please clarify what Columbus and the Mexican war has to do with Dominicans immigrating to the US.

N

Natasha

Re: Toilet Mafia

You are right most (almost all) Dominicans don't fall for this. The person that does would have to be really ignorant, and stupid. It is funny how the world works. We have a hard time getting a visa, but the DR lets many criminals known to the Interpol come in and set up shop. Go figure.

Natasha

A

arcoiris

Re: Non sequitir

if the border is open, then nobody is illegal because the border is open. think about that. people can only be illegal with a restricted border. the original question here is about why it is so hard for Dominicans, which implies it is easier for others. the reply is that it is, indeed, discrimination against Dominicans, and that that discrimination is associated with the general discrimination against Latinos, and that, in turn, is because of the history of colonization being of English, and European, as opposed to Spanish people. It follows that the US prefers European cousins, and opposes descendants of old enemies. Do you know about when Francis Drake sacked Santo Domingo?

E

Ed

The US Government's discrimination is not based on race, creed, or color. IT IS BASED ON MONEY. Canadians are allowed to ENTER the US easily because they are on a similar economic scale. (Canadians however are subjected to immigration quotas all nations are, and if for some reason waves of Canadians decided to migrate to the US, they would be subject to annual limitations).

You think the US should open it's borders. It's a nice thought. Who would supply the waves of immigrants with jobs, food, and shelter? If it were so easy, the DR would have open borders with Haiti.

L

Loren

US immigration policy not racist to DR

It is quite easy to have an illegal immigrant from an open border country. If I go to canada and try to work, I am an illegal alien. I can go to Aruba or the DR with no passport, but I am not allowed to work there without permission. If the US is so racist against Dominicans ( I do believe there are some problems but not the gloomy picture you paint ) then why is a country of 7.5 million persons #7 worldwide in legal immigration to the USA? They are in a class with countries like India and China, who have 1 billion people each, and ahead of countries like england and france and germany?

It doesnt add up!

S

scaramooch

Re: US immigration policy not racist to DR

Loren, The DR and those countries that you mentioned are running neck in neck with each other as far as immigration goes, because in NYC there are thousands of restaurants that need to fill dishwashing jobs, and also for the chinise there are bucuu chinise restaurants that needs cooks, now as far as the Indians , well there are the 7 elevens and all the flea bag Motels every where.

L

Loren

36,000 mexicans moved to columbus in the past couple of years, mainly to work at the restaurants and landscaping jobs. There are also a few Dominicans I know of 2 Dominican owned contract labor agencies here. before a few years ago, I had almost never heard of the DR

J

jerry

WOW are there that many K-1 visas?

L

Loren

No G, they are not necessarily K-1 visas, which are non-immigrant technically, but whatever class of immigrant visa, such as spousal or when someone brings over their family, or just gets lucky and wins a lottery based immigrant visa.

The K-1 is only for a US citizen to bring over a betrothed with the intent of marriage in the US. I have never been able to find any numbers from the INS but I bet it accounts for a small percentage of the total amount of visas issued.

J

Jodi

Actually Lyse, Martine is correct. It is 10 years.

For any Canadians going through the very frustrating sponsorship process...you may be interested to know that the "Immigration Maunual" that was written for visa officers to use as a reference guide is available in some major reference libraries (like North York for example). It contains some very useful information. If anyone would like more details, feel free to e-mail me.

L

Lyse

You're right Jodi, Martine is correct and so am I. I just called Immigration Canada, It is 3 years for the Province of Quebec and still 10 years for the others provinces.

L

Lyse

When I say 3 years (in Quebec), I'm talking about spouses. Fiances is 10 years but It is reduced to 3 years if they get married.

J

JC

Re: I agree...

If it would be racist they would not have let more than ONE MILLION dominicans in.

Plenty of "mal agradecidos" around here.