Dominican vs Puerto Rican Spanish- similarities and differences

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
I came across this blog article last week. The blogger who is also a language teacher did her research and presented many good linguistic facts and examples. The only aspect that surprised me is how she found PR Spanish so different from DR Spanish 🤔 It made me very curious to read the article.

One aspect I do not fully agree with is her comparison of PR speech to reggaetĂłn but other than that the article is on point.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Having lived in PR, and having many PR-born relatives, I find PR speech charming and easy to imitate.
And while we both drop the plural 'S' and some 'Ds' (cansado: casa'o), DR folks butcher the language to the nth degree... much more than Boricuas.

Reactions: JD Jones

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I think the bad wrap that PR gets about butchering the language is an exaggeration. I came to this conclusion recently. I think the media is the problem. They are in the spotlight because of their connection to the US and the music (not salsa) create this problem. The PR speech is in line with all of the Caribbean speech patterns both good and bad aspects. I think some Puerto Ricans are difficult to understand. There is no question about that and the more rural the individual is the more difficult it can be.

Their intonation is a give away and in a sentence they string all the words together with a rise at the end. I noticed speakers from southern PR sound like speakers from southern DR 🤔 This is just my own observation. It is just like speakers from the eastern part of Cuba sound like Dominicans. That is history right there and movement of the people.

Reactions: Lucifer

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Having lived in PR, and having many PR-born relatives, I find PR speech charming and easy to imitate.
And while we both drop the plural 'S' and some 'Ds' (cansado: casa'o), DR folks butcher the language to the nth degree... much more than Boricuas.

Regarding the butchering of the language by Dominicans, I agree with you 💯 🤦‍♀️.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
This is fun to watch. I was laughing with them. PR and DR share similar vocabulary but the differences are noted.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CZfdMQksGMw/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

’Nosotro’ decimo’ concón, nosotro’ decimo’ arro’ pegao….. :)
A Dominican in NYC once called concĂłn with-with.
AND I, channeling my inner Stephen Colbert, want to take credit for having coined almostly as a translation for casimente.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
A Dominican in NYC once called concĂłn with-with.
AND I, channeling my inner Stephen Colbert, want to take credit for having coined almostly as a translation for casimente.

Okay…well you are entitled to have fun with the language :)

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
To not leave out our Cuban brothers and sisters concón, arroz pegao is la raspa or la raspita……🇨🇺

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
A popular Cuban saying (a pick up line)….Si cocinas como caminas hasta la raspa me como :cool:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I have no idea. I only heard it. I should have put a ? I guess.

I thought it came from rapar. Like as in to scrape the bottom of the pot.

No….if you look up rapar vs. raspar you will understand why. As well, la raspa is feminine. It would not change to a masculine noun….