Dominicanismos and other Spanish expressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizzyjl80

Jun 16, 2004
juancarlos said:
You are right. I am Cuban and I have never heard that expression among Cubans. I believe Puerto Ricans do use something like un chin chin. Never heard of the word chichi either, meaning a child. The word vaina is only used in eastern Cuba. In fact, I never heard it until I came to the US and met Cubans who came from there. We do use co?o a lot and other words which are common in Spain and the Caribbean. Some words and expressions are common in the three islands, while others are not.

For "un chin" puerto ricans say "un canto" as in "Dame un canto"

lizzyjl80

Jun 16, 2004
Lesley D said:
Another word I like is ?calimete? = ?straw?.

I suspect it is of Taino origin.

Just an fyi the word ?straw? is different in every Spanish country in some cases you would need to be quite careful when using the word ?straw? or asking for a ?straw?. Learn the local word first.

-Lesley D

PD. Juancarlos what is the word for "straw" in Cuba?

I hav ealso used sorberto or sorbete for "staw"

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
lizzyjl80,

Yes, I am familiar with those words for ?straw? too. However, "sorbete? is popular in parts of Central America mainly El Salvador. "Sorbeto" is used exclusively in Pto.Rico.

The other variations are:

Popote-Mex.
Pitillo- Ven., Col.
Ca?ita- Per?
Paja, Pajita- these are two that are ?risky? if used in the DR for ?straw?. However, very normal in Spain and Nicaragua.

-Lesley D

lizzyjl80 said:

lizzyjl80

Jun 16, 2004
Lesley D said:
lizzyjl80,

Yes, I am familiar with those words for ?straw? too. However, "sorbete? is popular in parts of Central America mainly El Salvador. "Sorbeto" is used exclusively in Pto.Rico.

The other variations are:

Popote-Mex.
Pitillo- Ven., Col.
Ca?ita- Per?
Paja, Pajita- these are two that are ?risky? if used in the DR for ?straw?. However, very normal in Spain and Nicaragua.

-Lesley D

I ve heard of pitillo but not from a dominican as for pajita or paja
BEWARE or USE AT YOUR OWN RISK ;)

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I agree, that is why I put it out there. Forewarned is forearmed.

-Lesley D

lizzyjl80 said:
I ve heard of pitillo but not from a dominican as for pajita or paja
BEWARE or USE AT YOUR OWN RISK ;)

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Talldrink said:
Although is not as widely used as before, TA TO was an all around used-for-everything expression...

This expression was only hot for a while because a merengue band, "the originators of this expression", were hot on the radio.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
lizzyjl80 said:

Puerto Ricans are the ones that use "Sorbeto" for a straw.
the word "Pajilla" is much more comon in the DR than Sorbeto.
plus sorbeto is a form of ice cream, in english it is "Sherbert ice cream".

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
MR_DR,

That one is new for me "un chispito".

As well, regarding "sorbeto" as you said it is used only in PR but it can mean "sherbert ice cream" but the same holds true for "sorbete" used mainly in El Salvador and it can mean "sherbert ice cream" too.

-Lesley D

Mr_DR said:

Last edited:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Mr_DR said:
I have never heard pajilla said by a Dominican. Sorbete is the word I am most acquainted with, followed by calimete.

Sorbete probably comes from sorber:
sorber.
(Del lat. sorbēre).
1. tr. Beber aspirando.

www.rae.es

guaroa

*** Sin Bin ***
Dec 13, 2004
sorbete

Lesley D said:
MR_DR,

That one is new for me. Thank you. It makes sense because "una chispa" de algo es "un poco". Therefore "un chispito".

As well, regarding "sorbeto" as you said it is used only in PR but it can mean "sherbert ice cream" but the same holds true for "sorbete" used mainly in El Salvador and it can mean "sherbert ice cream" too.

-Lesley D

the word sorbete, calimete, or pajilla are typically use in DR .

the word sorbete is commonly use in salvador, ecudor etc all sur america

the word chin or chin chin or chililin is netamente from DR . not cuban or puerto rican " un canto or un chispito"

our contribution to castellano
papaya
huracan
thai noi " taino " not a race or language " a misundertood of colon to the ciguayos way of native language speak.
hamaca
quisqueya

some expression
aiguaita
un buen quisqueyano knows this word
mira como yuca
chingar " singar " from castellano. sorry for this word.
boncho " bonche" from gallejo

Last edited by a moderator:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
eudi said:
--bulva = the diamond shape before getting to girls best part.
I think you mean vulva. And that is no slang, that is the acceptable, semi-medical term for women's external genitalia.

About pajilla: I have lived for 34 years here and have resided in the north, center and south of the country and have never heard anyone calling a straw pajilla. Pajilla here refers to the vegetal weaving that is used in chairs. Once in a while I hear some pregonero screaming "empajillador!". He repairs chairs.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Pajilla here refers to the vegetal weaving that is used in chairs. "

You reminded me of Cuba. Over there pajilla is also used to refer to that weaving used in chairs. I sure remember those chairs well. Of course, the same word we also used for a straw.

lizzyjl80

Jun 16, 2004
Pib said:
I think you mean vulva. And that is no slang, that is the acceptable, semi-medical term for women's external genitalia.

About pajilla: I have lived for 34 years here and have resided in the north, center and south of the country and have never heard anyone calling a straw pajilla. Pajilla here refers to the vegetal weaving that is used in chairs. Once in a while I hear some pregonero screaming "empajillador!". He repairs chairs.

I agree with you my parents are cibaeno though i was raised in ny and i have never heard the word "pajilla" either from my parents relatives friends or on my many trips to the homeland.

At least not in a good way and in any case it would be "paja". Pajilla is exactly that of which chairs are made of.

As for eudi's post about "popola" Thats the way mothers call their little girls' vagina. At least I was raised calling it una popola not exactly the meaning he gave it.

As for the thing called a word "tato" i still use it and im considered hip in my crowd and in any other. Its still used not as commonly as before i must agree but it is not an all forgotten word (if we should call it that)
It comes from the phrase " Esta todo hablado"

lizzyjl80

Jun 16, 2004
Hey i think no one mentioned this one
"Jartura"

Me di una jartura anoche que no puedo ni camina'"

Lol

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Pib said:
I have never heard pajilla said by a Dominican. Sorbete is the word I am most acquainted with, followed by calimete.

Sorbete probably comes from sorber:

Well, was in Santo Domingo for 2 days and went to eat with my cousins that live there and pajilla was the word she used to ask the waiter for a straw and he was not confused about what she asked.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Pedro es un chico bien taca?o pero se canteo con $1000 toletes para la operacion de su hermano.

Peter is a very cheap guy but he placed $1000 pesos to help with his brother's operation.

I bet you guys forgot about that one.
lol

guaroa

*** Sin Bin ***
Dec 13, 2004
pajilla

Mr_DR said:
Well, was in Santo Domingo for 2 days and went to eat with my cousins that live there and pajilla was the word she used to ask the waiter for a straw and he was not confused about what she asked.

pajilla is one of the word use in santo domingo ,some cibaenos and other places. some dominican might not.

the same thing like

bigote o boso

somebody from bonao told me he never hear bigote. I just laugh because these two word are common use in the capital.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
I haven't heard "lambe ojo" in quite a while. Also, my grandmother used to say "el tiene ma' saliva come ma' ojadra" You have to have eaten an ojadra to understand this one.

SafireDream

Jul 5, 2004
Talldrink said:
Although is not as widely used as before, TA TO was an all around used-for-everything expression...

Tato = little brother

Tata = little sister

Tata has been my nickname all my life and my ex-husband's nickname was Tato. (crazy coincidence) I am Cuban and he is Puerto Rican. I have never heard it used for anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.