Dominicanos en Los Angeles?

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
Dancing

Steven's Steakhouse
Salsa, Bachata and Merengue every night, especially Saturdays and Sundays. Live salsa bands Thursday, Friday, Saturday.

Vasilio's in Downey
Salsa, Merengue, Bachata on Thursdays and weekends.

Granada in Alhambra
Thursdays all merengue and bachata.
Friday and Saturday live salsa band.

Wow! Vasilio's is still there! I was a regular there years ago.
I used to live in Downey off of Buckles St. then in Torrance.

J

Johnvdb

Alguien en Marina del Rey; Venes o Santa Monica

Hola soy Cibae?o, De la Ciudad de Los Bellos Atardeceres, Mao... Tengo 7 meses en Los ?ngeles y todav?a no he podido conocer ni un dominicano... Me gustar?a compartir experiencias y por q no, un arrosito.

Anthony7

May 22, 2015
hey man! i have a couple of months living in california and i just met 1 dominican. is there any place, restaurant or something like that? i will appreciate your info. thank you. ANTHONY,

Dr4life9

Jun 15, 2015
I am Dominican and am also looking for other Dominicans in the L.A area. I have yet to meet a Dominican here yet and everyone I have asked never met one either except for me lol

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I was in LA in 2007 and met a Dominicana who is a college professor. Not sure if that is much help to you, however.

Dr4life9

Jun 15, 2015
Well that's good then there is hope haha and I have heard their are Cubans and Puerto Ricans here also but I just haven't came into contact with any.

Nunez44

Mar 20, 2016
Well that's good then there is hope haha and I have heard their are Cubans and Puerto Ricans here also but I just haven't came into contact with any.

I moved to Long Beach in Oct 2015 from New Jersey. Im coming from a small town with nothing but Dominicans. About 2 months ago I met one Dominican & he was delivering a package at my job. Never saw him ever again, lol. I was looking for a Dominican spot to eat & found a place in North Hollywood that I need to check out. But seriously we need a Dominican meet up for something.

glennjr15

Mar 22, 2016
1/2 Dominican, reppin in the CPT. Mama Fina's used to be the spot in the Downey area, but it has since closed. I've been out in the L.A. area for almost 16yrs, and haven't met very many Dominicans. The Dodgers used to have a Dominican theme game,
and that's where I had met the most Dominicans out here EVER! But unfortunately, not much contact was kept, and they haven't done it again in some years. :O(

Troyano

Aug 5, 2015
*Bump* Still looking for local Dominicans that live around LA & Long Beach.

I live here in Los Angeles. I moved here six years ago. I visited DR recently and really enjoyed it. My heart is still there actually.

I am originally from Florida, I have only met TWO Dominicans and they were really cool.

I was wearing a sweatshirt with the Dominican flag and it said Santo Domingo. The guys gave me a surprised look at first (white guy, green eyes), and then they asked omg, where did you get that from! They both said you have to give me that hoodie!! It was a funny interaction because they were at a Subway above where I work. I said wow, I've lived here and never found any Dominicans. They said we know, we are the only two. The funniest part of all of this is that when I first saw them, they snuck a bottle of rum out of their backpack and put some in their Subway cup. When I walked in, I was already thinking they were crazy. It turned out they were really cool guys.

Maybe someone knows these two guys, haha.

Nunez44

Mar 20, 2016
Awesome. Dude we have to meet up. I still can not find anything Dominican or restaurants its driving me crazy.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Awesome. Dude we have to meet up. I still can not find anything Dominican or restaurants its driving me crazy.

If I was you, I'll check out the salsa parties. Usually they include bachata (in a separate room or alternated with salsa) and occasionally merengue. I'd bet you'll find Dominicans there (at worst a few Latin Americans).

Just from a quick google search, it seems that this site and this have a lot of relevant information. El Granada seems a promising place.

In August it seems they will have a big bachata festival.

Notice that you don't necessarily need to dance, if that's not your thing, assuming you can at least enjoy listening to the music while socializing. You could also take dance lessons (sometimes they are free) if nothing else as a way of meeting people. Bachata has a strong following in most cities these days (if you look in the right areas).

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
I've lived in L.A. for three years. I've met 2 Dominicans. I'm originally from NYC. If you live in L.A. or in the area, drop me an email at dheredia4@yahoo.com It's depressing that some people in California don't even know what Domincans are. At the drive thru at Taco bell the other day, this guy asked me what flag I was representing on a T-shirt meant. When I replied La Republica Dominicana, He said, and I quote " What's that."

they bounced my response to you....los siento...and its hard for d.r. peeps to go to la la land....far away////n.y. is directly north///miami is north/west

Lennylen2017

Jun 13, 2016
Saludos mi gente mi queridos Dominicanos. Mi nombre es Lenny y acabo de empezar una p?gina familiar para nosotros Los Dominicanos que estamos en la ?rea del sur de California. I recently moved from New York to Long Beach with my wife. I am actually pretty familiar with Southern California I lived here once and there use to be this restaurant called mama fina that was really good, but for whoever reason it closed and it is more than likely staying closed. With that being said I hope we can form a stronger and closer community out here in the west coast and share our awesome culture with people that aren't to familiar with it out here. A barbecue at a big park something would be a great start.🇩🇴🇩🇴🇩🇴🇩🇴🇩🇴🇩🇴🇩🇴🇩🇴🇩🇴🇩🇴👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

By the way the name of the page on Facebook is called Dominicans in Los Angeles/Dominicanos en Los Angeles