Dominicans again top Major League players

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Dominicans again top Major League players born outside US: AP

New York.- For the 10th straight year Dominican Republic tops the list of major league players born outside the U.S., though the 82 players who began the 2014 season in the major leagues are seven fewer than last year, AP reports.

The 99 Dominican players to start the 2007 season was the most ever.

Venezuela has the second-most players with 59, followed by Cuba with 19, four more than last year, and its highest figure since 2005.

Puerto Rico has 11, two less than in 2013; Canada with 10; Mexico and Japan nine each; five from Cura?ao; Colombia and Panama four; Nicaragua three and Australia and South Korea two each.

Congrats!

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/sp...n-top-Major-League-players-born-outside-US-AP

The country Cuba is listed why not explain why Cuba only have 19 players. The country of Japan has excellent ball players, but they only have 9 in the MLB.

In this case the "why" is more important then the what. I am not taking anything away from Dominican ball players, but the reason behind the large number of Dominicans is just as important.

To the untrained eye people might think or believe Dominicans are better than Japan in baseball based on this OP. I like ESPN give people a glance behind the numbers like ESPN.

Last edited:

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
JMB does not understand baseball. Can't fault him, for it's a THINKING-MAN sport.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
you mean to say that Dominicans can hit for average?

No. You asked where Carty was from, and I pointed out he was born in the San Pedro de Macor?s province, and that he won a batting tittle in 1970, with a batting average of 366.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
No. You asked where Carty was from, and I pointed out he was born in the San Pedro de Macor?s province, and that he won a batting tittle in 1970, with a batting average of 366.

well, JMB said that Dominicans can't get the ball in play very often, so i had to sneak in old Rico, even though other Dominicans have higher lifetime averages.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
well, JMB said that Dominicans can't get the ball in play very often, so i had to sneak in old Rico, even though other Dominicans have higher lifetime averages.

I am not even going to go there. Talking about a player when Abe Lincoln was in office. Talk about something recent like 2012 when Robinson Cano went 3 for 41 in the post season. Tell me gorgon how can a player like a Cano go 3 for 41 in the most IMPORTANT time of the season???? I still to this day can't believe how bad in played and he is supposed to be a very good hitter.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
JMB does not understand baseball. Can't fault him, for it's a THINKING-MAN sport.

One name Sammy Sosa LOL!!!! All he did was stand at the plate and swing as hard as he can. Why do you think the Cubs will never retire his jersey????

I once witness Sammy swing and miss a couple of times in a " Home Run Derby" during the All Star break now who does that??
and lets not forget the "corked" bat incident LOL!!! Yeah I made a mistake and grabbed my practice bat it was an honest mistake.

PED's playing with a corked bats takes a lot of thinking.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013

Opinions can diverge.....
it's more like cricket for dummies on steriods.......

Went to see the toronto blue jays in the mid ninties....... lots of time to think, too much even, esay to dose off.......

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
One name Sammy Sosa LOL!!!! All he did was stand at the plate and swing as hard as he can. Why do you think the Cubs will never retire his jersey????

I once witness Sammy swing and miss a couple of times in a " Home Run Derby" during the All Star break now who does that??
and lets not forget the "corked" bat incident LOL!!! Yeah I made a mistake and grabbed my practice bat it was an honest mistake.

PED's playing with a corked bats takes a lot of thinking.

You mean the same Sammy Sosa who hit .328, 64 HR's and 160 RBI's in 2001 along with an OBP/SLG of .437/.737 for a 1.174 OPS? That Sammy Sosa?

Dude, go home, you're drunk!

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
JMB never played the game.

But he did stay at the Holiday Inn Express once and watched a few games of horseshoe pitching.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The, "Same Sammy Sosa" who used steroids to make him a hitter?
THAT's why he will never have his jersey retired, OR be in the "MLB Hall Of Fame"!
"Hall Of Shame"??????????
He's a shoo in there"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Right next to "Arod", and "McGuire","Bonds",?????????
Besides "Sammy" is a "White Guy" now, so he can't be counted as a "Dominicano" anymore!
"Solido, Como Baninter"??????????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
They mostly seem to do self-serving projects, such as ball parks (Bartolo Colon) or baseball "academies" -several others.

And then they have the balls to ask the president for tax exemptions for their Hummers and Bugattis and Ferraris. No kidding.

HB

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
The, "Same Sammy Sosa" who used steroids to make him a hitter?
THAT's why he will never have his jersey retired, OR be in the "MLB Hall Of Fame"!
"Hall Of Shame"??????????
He's a shoo in there"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Right next to "Arod", and "McGuire","Bonds",?????????
Besides "Sammy" is a "White Guy" now, so he can't be counted as a "Dominicano" anymore!
"Solido, Como Baninter"??????????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Show me proof that he once used steroids, other than you or the media just speculating on it. If not, drop out of the discussion.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
They mostly seem to do self-serving projects, such as ball parks (Bartolo Colon) or baseball "academies" -several others.

And then they have the balls to ask the president for tax exemptions for their Hummers and Bugattis and Ferraris. No kidding.

HB

Yeah, Baseball players are the cause of all problems that plague the DR.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yeah, Baseball players are the cause of all problems that plague the DR.

Several of them have turned to politics near where I live, and they seem to be doing a decent job, certainly no worse than the rest of the politicians. Mayor of San Cristobal is Raul Mondesi, mayor of Nigua is Melido Perez, and the Guerrero Brothers have Nizao in the palm of their hands. As you drive into Nizao, there is a massive house atop a mountain, and they've managed to spell out HNOS. GUERRERO #47 [I think that's the #] on the mountainside.

Bronzeallspice took a photo when she was here - maybe she can post it.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Several of them have turned to politics near where I live, and they seem to be doing a decent job, certainly no worse than the rest of the politicians. Mayor of San Cristobal is Raul Mondesi, mayor of Nigua is Melido Perez, and the Guerrero Brothers have Nizao in the palm of their hands. As you drive into Nizao, there is a massive house atop a mountain, and they've managed to spell out HNOS. GUERRERO #47 [I think that's the #] on the mountainside.

Bronzeallspice took a photo when she was here - maybe she can post it.

Yes, I can do that, later on today, I will upload photo from my camera.:)

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Okay, here's the pic:

P1160139_zpsb2b93aea.jpg