Dominican's DNA proves Taino natives are not extinct

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
I will have that test done some time soon, some of my Puerto Ricans friends here in NC already did it a few months ago.
All I have to do is visit a website and request the sample collection kit and send it back.

I believe the fee is $ 60. Bucks.

Some of them came out 60 % European and Taino, I am sure in my case will about the same.

JJ

Having seen a few pics of yours, I fully concur with your prediction. You look like the average person in La Sierra, methinks.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Having seen a few pics of yours, I fully concur with your prediction. You look like the average person in La Sierra, methinks.

All my family in both sides are from Moca, but per my grand dad the first settlement of the family Taveras more than a hundred years ago was in a small comunity between Baitoa and Janico in La Sierra as you stated.

In the family of my Dad from Moca too I have a very direct European descendancy, four generation of French and Spaniard as well. Arnaud, Morin & Feliu...

JJ

bonao99

Jun 11, 2005
Don't abstain, by any means. What I would ask you to explain, however, is in which way those results "can be deceptive", specially when they (Amerindian scores) have been consistent in appearing in every long established Domi family on this side of the island across the board that have tested themselves so far. The poster Gurabo444 has prepared a google doc showing the ones tested on 23andMe so far, and in which the pattern can be seen in full display (he even took the pains of making sure the people in question were fully Domi before putting the numbers down, so as to avoid the charge of having halfies incline the results in any direction whatsoever). I can ask him for the document if you want to see the results for yourself.

The spreadsheet here show dominicans with averages from 4% to ~12% Native American

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...lWbg2MtEwhWJrcbc4sRnvpkUquU/edit?pli=1#gid=70

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Apparently they are able to detect not just if a person has indigenous DNA, but also the geographical place where that DNA was the most abundant. I guess the old belief that Tainos from DR couldn't be genetically distinguished from Tainos from Puerto Rico or Tainos from Cuba or Tainos from Jamaica is turning out to be just that, a belief.

Today I got an email from 23andme saying that they updated my profile with more detailed geographical origins. What a surprise when Dominican Republic pops up in the Native American segment.

Tainos.jpg

Despite they are now able to detect origins in 150 countries and territories, my profile registers just two countries, the other one is Spain, of course.

Don PISTOLAS

Mar 6, 2018
I think that a more important question is not whether Dominicans have Taino DNA, which is widely accepted, but how to get them to acknowledge and own that part of their heritage.

Dominicans are very proud of Thier Taino Dna. You see signs of this all around the Country. No Haitian Dna is another story....

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Who cares? We're all descendents of monkeys.

The behaviour of many current world leaders more or less confirms what your saying! Seriously, every human walking the earth today can trace their ancestory back to three areas where we first evolved from the apes, expanded, and migrated around the world. The African plains, the Indus region of India, and Asia. These areas produced the first true aboriginals according to current anthropological research. We are all brothers and sisters genetically.

The DR history of aboriginal recognition and rights is similar to ours in Canada. A history of non recognition, exploitation, and subtle and not so subtle cultural genocide. I have aboriginal ancestry, I have my status, and I’m on the Federal Indian Register. When I was a child growing up in my province, the government told us Indians didn’t exit here. The Catholic clergy and the nuns who taught us refused to acknowledge our aboriginal ties. They said there was a stigma attached to being an Indian. A heathen from their perspective. The past Federal Conservative government under Steven Harper finally struck a deal to recognize us as a landless band with non reserve status.

I’ve toured the La Isabella historic site a few times with friends I brought there to give them a sense of DR history. Aboriginals are included in the history of the site despite years of oppression. The truth is out there.

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
Alsothe names of many animals and even colors. Most Dominicans aren't aware what are the Taino words, but use them all the time and often interchangeably with the Spanish equivalent. A good example is frong, in Spanish is sapo, but in the language of the Tainos is maco. Another example is tree, in Spanish is árbol (some people with very limited formal education would simply call them palo, you will hear many Dominicans in rural areas using this word instead of árbol), but in the language of the Tainos is mata. Orange (the color) in Spanish is anarajado, but in the Taino language is mamey. Turtle in Spanish is tortuga, but in Taino language is hicotea. The tarantula in Spanish is the same name (I think the English simply accepted the Spanish word into the English langauge), but in the Taino language is cacata. The list is long.

Growing up in the country side I head all of the above words plus others which I later found out were also Taino in origin. For example the following words are often used in the campos: "Jaida" is Taino for hills, "Jojoto" is used when someone or something is too pale, plus replacing the "h" for "j" as in "Joimiga" instead of "Hormiga" is of Taini origin, and lastly I remember my mom telling e to call my dad "Taita" when I was a kid, and I bet this also has Taino origin.

There are also families like mine were the Taina DNA is equal or greater to the African DNA, so I often laugh when people say Taino DNA/Heritage is non-existing in DR.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Apparently they are able to detect not just if a person has indigenous DNA, but also the geographical place where that DNA was the most abundant. I guess the old belief that Tainos from DR couldn't be genetically distinguished from Tainos from Puerto Rico or Tainos from Cuba or Tainos from Jamaica is turning out to be just that, a belief.

Today I got an email from 23andme saying that they updated my profile with more detailed geographical origins. What a surprise when Dominican Republic pops up in the Native American segment.

Tainos.jpg

Despite they are now able to detect origins in 150 countries and territories, my profile registers just two countries, the other one is Spain, of course.

Click on "see all tested populations" to see which countries you get the most matches from. Outside DR, I get the most matches from Cuba, Venezuela, Colombia, Brazil and PR, in that order. In Europe I get most matches from Portugal and Spain.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Click on "see all tested populations" to see which countries you get the most matches from. Outside DR, I get the most matches from Cuba, Venezuela, Colombia, Brazil and PR, in that order. In Europe I get most matches from Portugal and Spain.

Here's my example: