Dominicans in Haiti(surprise, surprise)...

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Is this the same Guy Philipe, the guy who fled Haiti in 2002 after being accused of leading a coup against Aristide. He fled to the Dominican Republic and stayed there till 2004 when Aristide was finally forced into exile. I've read he was living quite comfortably in Santo Domingo while plotting against Aristide. No one there touched him..... I do agree not a good guy.

sorry a bit off topic
Thats him.

-NALs

PabloPaul

Dec 21, 2006
www.myspace.com
Although this is a pipe dream for me, I'd like to see the island nations unite and overcome together. It's depressing to see them struggle along alongside each other like this, especially when one or the other struggles more. The reasons behind what's going on in Haiti right now are complex and personally I think the illicit drug traffic network has a lot to do with it. If you identify the major economies in both countries, you'll see what I mean.
I was reading on MSN last week how they once again 'identified' where the AIDS virus had spread from. According to the article there was a 99.8% probability that the infection spread to the USA from a Haitian immigrant(s). Obviously, this is bad publicity for Haiti and a repeat of their problems of the early 80's when initially the tourism sector was demolished at that time.
Haiti is one of the only places in the Western hemisphere that still has a Pagan religion intact and going strong, thus never giving power to the church. The power remains in the people's hands, although on the surface it doesn't appear that way. They are not organised or well educated.
The reasons behind this speak for themselves. Keep the people down.

ElNegrote

Jul 31, 2007
Although this is a pipe dream for me, I'd like to see the island nations unite and overcome together. It's depressing to see them struggle along alongside each other like this, especially when one or the other struggles more. The reasons behind what's going on in Haiti right now are complex and personally I think the illicit drug traffic network has a lot to do with it. If you identify the major economies in both countries, you'll see what I mean.

I doubt this is ever going to happen, but if the people of both countries decided on something along the lines of a common market, as in Europe or in North America, and it didn't harm either country's political sovereignty, or disadvantage either one while leveraging their respective economic and social resources, it might be conceivable. But it would have to come from both countries and have overwhelming popular support.

I was reading on MSN last week how they once again 'identified' where the AIDS virus had spread from. According to the article there was a 99.8% probability that the infection spread to the USA from a Haitian immigrant(s). Obviously, this is bad publicity for Haiti and a repeat of their problems of the early 80's when initially the tourism sector was demolished at that time.

Do you believe this, though? I found the report pretty dubious. I want to see much more extensive information about this, because as I recall, reports a while ago were suggesting that HIV's spread resulted from biological testing conducted by Belgian doctors in the Congo River basin in the 1950s or earlier. So now it's been traced to a Haitian immigrant from the 1970s or so. Yeah, right. How convenient.

Haiti is one of the only places in the Western hemisphere that still has a Pagan religion intact and going strong, thus never giving power to the church. The power remains in the people's hands, although on the surface it doesn't appear that way. They are not organised or well educated.
The reasons behind this speak for themselves. Keep the people down.

Vodoun is not a "pagan" religion. It is a syncretic faith that has parallels across the Americans. Santer?a, Candombl?, Umbanda, Spiritual Baptism, and similar faiths are all valid and not "pagan." This faith has sustained the Haitian people through centuries of exploitation and marginalization, and it continues to. And don't forget, the Dominican Republican has its own indigenous form of vod?n as well, and has had it for hundreds of years.