Dominicans in Japan

moviemouth

Jul 12, 2005
Why?????

Okay, three vaguely nasty, thoroughly nonsensical posts, and you succeeded in killing this thread. Why? Anyone else out here want to know?:confused:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
moviemouth, Your post,and this one and in the same matter, are roundly nonsensical too:)

Last edited:

moviemouth

Jul 12, 2005
Why?

aegap said:
moviemouth, Your post,and this one and in the same matter, are roundly nonsensical too:)

Okay, I reread my first post. Looked like a reasonable response to the previous by someone who actually knows something about Japan (me). So what am I missing?:confused:

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
OK, sorry for the vaguely nasty- Here I am, gringo me, trying to sort out the delicate Dominican/Haitian connection. Someone suggests that a black/pretty black/somewhat black/slightly black/knows-someone-black Dominican person could tolerate the diamond-hard xenophobia of Japanese society for more time than it takes to refuel the plane and head somewhere civilized.

Cherry blossoms, geisha girls, Zen gardens, tea ceremonies and the like are all cute stereotypes; these original "God's own children", if given the chance (again) would put these glue-sniffing Muslims to shame. Then again, I could be wrong... .

moviemouth

Jul 12, 2005
drbill said:
OK, sorry for the vaguely nasty- Here I am, gringo me, trying to sort out the delicate Dominican/Haitian connection. Someone suggests that a black/pretty black/somewhat black/slightly black/knows-someone-black Dominican person could tolerate the diamond-hard xenophobia of Japanese society for more time than it takes to refuel the plane and head somewhere civilized.

Cherry blossoms, geisha girls, Zen gardens, tea ceremonies and the like are all cute stereotypes; these original "God's own children", if given the chance (again) would put these glue-sniffing Muslims to shame. Then again, I could be wrong... .

Apology accepted. You are entitled to your views - as are we all. Flaming posts you disagree with by deliberately posting hostile sounding drivel, however, seems to me a very counterproductive and boring way to express your disagreement no matter how profound. It just serves to shut off the give and take from which, eventually, all of us may hope to hear something that increases their knowledge and understanding of complex issues. So, if you think that Japanese xenophobia and racism are so much worse than the U.S. (German, French, British, etc.) kind, that they negate every positive thing about this nation and it's people, you should just say so directly and politely (and maybe also provide some clues as to what information/experience leads you to think this way), and give others a chance to agree or disagree in a similar fashion. Now it's my turn to apologize (for lecturing). I'm sorry and I'm done.

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
dead right

When I indulge in childish hyperbole, sarcasm, undue vitriol, etc. (drivel, huh?), I don't think of its effect upon the discussion. It probably does hinder communication and may be uncalled for in a given setting:chinese:

My observations, reached through personal relationships with Japanese acquaintances and a wide range of reading material, stand as stated above minus the hostility.

Rather than skewering the Japanese society for being what it is, I should rather express sympathy for any outsider seeking to integrate there. What if all of them were forced to participate in a Benneton photo shoot...?

moviemouth

Jul 12, 2005
Drivel indeed

drbill said:
When I indulge in childish hyperbole, sarcasm, undue vitriol, etc. (drivel, huh?), I don't think of its effect upon the discussion. It probably does hinder communication and may be uncalled for in a given setting:chinese:

My observations, reached through personal relationships with Japanese acquaintances and a wide range of reading material, stand as stated above minus the hostility.

QUOTE]

According to the Random House College Dictionary: "drivel - childish, idiotic, or silly talk; twaddle." Of course your observations can stand. So too my characterizaton of them. With the verbal "shadow boxing" out of the way I can at least understand what you are saying. I can even say that I agree that it is very difficult (practically impossible) for foreigners to integrate into Japanese society. I can also say that based on more than 20 years of studying, living in, and working with Japan and it's people, I thoroughly disagree with you on just about every other point you have made.

BTW I heard on Public Radio recently an interview with a young American originally from Brooklyn who has not only become a Japanese citizen, but has recently been elected mayor of his Japanese town.:ninja:

Elvismen

Aug 23, 2003
moviemouth said:
Whoa! Way harsh, Elvismen. As one who studied Japanese language and (what you call their "so called ") culture - including living and studying in Tokyo for a year, I can say your assertions are way, way off base. It's not possible to explain why properly in this space, but I'd like to point to a few characteristics of the day to day culture of these "barbaric" people that I have experienced personally:

The Japanese people are incredibly honest and law abiding. Being a bit absent-minded, I have left my briefcase (containing an expensive camera and good quality umbrella) on the subway on more than one occaision. As I'm a New Yorker, I had no expectation of ever seeing my stuff again, however, I took a shot at going to the lost and found and every single time my bag was returned to me with all contents.

In Japan it is possible to leave one's luggage unguarded on train platforms while you go to the kiosk for a soda or newspaper. No one will take it.

Japanese storekeepers generally do not bargain. The price is the price - even if you are a gaijin. If you think you can do better, you are welcome to go elsewhere.

Japanese people do not jaywalk. Even very late at night when there is no traffic in sight they will patiently stand and wait for the light to change.

Japanese restaurants have only one menu. If a gaijin can say or just point to a dish being enjoyed by Japanese people at the next table (for example), the waiter will bring it (anyone familiar with New York's Chinatown can tell you that if you try this the waiter will become deaf, dumb, and blind).

On the famously crowded Tokyo subway, I noticed that there was not one single person - male or female - with dirty, greasy looking hair. Not surprising, since all of these "barbarians" - by strong cultural custom - bath thoroughly every day.

Please contrast the foregoing to any country you wish to name.

To those of you who have spoken of your desire to visit Japan, I encourage you to go and enjoy the modern life and ancient culture of this great country.

Well you was here just for a year, i been here for 6 almost 7 going from day in to day out dealing with japanese, you dont know the first thing about the truth japanese, not even me, because they are not open to outsider, they just show you one side of the coin, my wife is japanese, and she was married before to a japanese, she say she will never married another japanese ever again even if we get divorce. so please you was here for one year going from your aparment to school, so dont think that you know japan and the japanese, because you never will by living here for just a year. check this link you will see how all the people living here feel about japan. http://www.japantoday.com

Elvis

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
MM, if it came from NPR, it's Gospel to me. I shouldn't be so cynical, maybe the times have changed somewhat, maybe... . I admired the traditional (stereotypical) Japanese culture for a long while. A few grad-student acquaintances once let their hair down and shared some really twisted views, not joking at all- I mean seriously disturbing, way past Bubba and his buddies in double-wide heaven. The more I learned, the more let down I felt.

Elvis, thanks for that interesting link. I'm going to do some more homework. Did you see the article regarding the court siding with the grocery store owner who refused entry to the Afro-American customer?

Elvismen

Aug 23, 2003
hehehe

Yeah!! that is nothing new here
lol
the thing is that when they outside they little island they make you think that they are really nice and polite people.

Japanese??...naaaa, the most ignorant people in the planet.

Elvis

Last edited:

Josei

Aug 15, 2006
Bachata in Japan

Hi I promote a musical artist ( Mendys Peralta ). Mendys plays both bachata and merengue, after reading your post, we thought what a great opportunity it would be to someday travel to Japan and perform. I was surprised to learn that there was such a large Dominican community in Japan. If anyone has any information regarding any promoters we can speak with about setting up a musical tour to Japan, it would be greatly appreciated. If your readers want to learn more about Mendys, they can go to his home page www.mendysperalta.com

dominilucy

Sep 1, 2008
I am currently in Japan, working here "y soy bien Dominicana". But I have not found many people here in Japan that are Dominican. At least not where I am currently living in Fukui, which is one of the "campasino" prefectures in the country.
I miss the platanos!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I am currently in Japan, working here "y soy bien Dominicana". But I have not found many people here in Japan that are Dominican. At least not where I am currently living in Fukui, which is one of the "campasino" prefectures in the country.
I miss the platanos!

Konnichiwa!!!
Watashi wa Reynaldo Desu. Yoroshiku onegaishimasu!

Platano? Nani!!!
Banana!?! Take takeru o da ne?
Baka!!! LOL!!

I was told that there's a store that caters Dominican products in Otemachi, Chiyoda. I forgot the name of the store but it was a cafe or something like that...

I called my cousin in Tokyo but he says he knows of no such store yet!

I found some Platanos in Kamagaya, Chiba. The store was remarkably loaded with stuff I was going bananas over not seeing for a while there...

The store keeper was from Costa Rica!!!

By Fukui you mean Fukui city or Fukuiken?

Ja ne!

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Found the name of the Cafe in Japan, is called 神田 Cafe Atabei or something to that effect...

Anybody in Japan that could confirm the shop's availability of DR's products????

My cousin won't help me here, as he is too busy with work (believe me; you have no idea how serious they're about work there!).

Any input greatly appreciated!

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
http://www.atabey.jp

map.jpg

lasalsa

Apr 9, 2008
I was stationed in Yokota Air Base in Japan from 1993 - 2000 and as soon as I found this Salsa/Merengue Club in Down-town Roppongi, I was hooked. I forgot the name. Met several True Dominicans, attitude and all, and spoke spanish like we were in "Los Minas".

Through my connections I met the Dominican Consul there during the time, we hung out at our Base a few times for official events with the Military Latin Association, and a few weeks later he invited me and the wife to an all out Dominican Party at this Club around the corner of the D.R. Consulate there and it was a great time. I've never seen as many Dominicans in one place, all jamming.

We're there. I think in Atsugi - Zama area's. A lot of them work in auto wreck yards, and as construction.

It was a good time.