Dominicans in Switzerland

PrincesseEm

Dec 2, 2008
I know of one near Lucerne and a couple near Ticino! There must be more, but are any hooked up on DR1? Please let me know!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The underwhelming response to the question is probably the makeup of the DR population in Switzerland.

As you may or may not know, most female Dominicans in Switzerland are there exercising the world's second oldest profession. While they are really good with cell phones, they seem to lack computer skills. What any of the males are doing there is anybody's guess. Some might be in law, others in import-export, others in architecture...who knows. They seldom post on this site since this is supposed to be related to the Dominican Republic with threads on Overseas Dominicans (DOWS, for example).

Good luck in your search.

HB

PrincesseEm

Dec 2, 2008
Hi Hillbilly and thanks for your response.

I did not actually know that about Dominican women in Switzerland. How do they get visas to enter the coutry? The old-fashioned sankiette way or by gaining an au-pair visa?

My Dominican boyfriend recently moved to Switzerland for work and has only met one other Dominican person, who married a Swiss woman 14 years ago and is now a Swiss citizen. My boyfriend speaks 5 languages but isn't confident in writing English so I thought I would throw it out there on DR1 on his behalf to see if there are any other Dominicans living in Switzerland.

They seldom post on this site since this is supposed to be related to the Dominican Republic with threads on Overseas Dominicans (DOWS, for example).
HB

Your last line there confuses me a little. Do Dominicans living in Switzerland not count as Overseas Dominicans? Or do you feel that they are just not as well-connected and successful as DOWS, for example?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No idea why, they just do not post. Perhaps too interested in other stuff.

We do have Dominicans from Virginia, Arizona, North Carolina, Florida, New York, that post.

However, since Dominicans know how things are here, they seldom do more than offer answers...seldome do they offer opinions as to things...

HB

Mar 1, 2009
I met 2 Dominicans in Switzerland. One in Zurich he was married to a Swiss German woman, he offered me the chance to get married with the girls sister and that way I could remain in Suiza and get all the benefits. Since I am not a sankie, I wasn't tempted to do it. The picture he showed me of the girl didn't do anything to sweeten the offer.

The other in Geneve she was married to a Swiss italian dude and we met at a salsa concert. She was very nice and her husband loved Dominican music and culture I hung out with them the whole night. So there are Dominican's in Switzerland but they are fewer than in other countries I would guess. Why they would use this website since it's not in Spanish, German, French or Italian is another issue as well.

Chus or Auf vidershen

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
In defense of the OP, I would say that there are very few Canadians with relationships with Dominicans who are living in Switzerland right now. She woule, as I understand it like to find him some more Dominican friends for him there - as simple as that!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
According to the Swiss Federal Dept. of Foreign Affairs 'About 1,800 Swiss nationals are currently (2008) living in the Dominican Republic. The Dominican Republic has maintained a representation in Switzerland since 1913. At the end of 2008, 5,595 citizens of the Dominican Republic were living in Switzerland.' (emboldening mine)

Bilateral relations between Switzerland and Dominican Republic

So somewhere out there, PrincesseEm, there are another 5591 Dominicans in Switzerland apart from the ones you have alreday encountered.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
There are a few from my hometown. I know this girl who almost all the guys in town knew, in the biblical sense if you know what I mean. She was completely "Quema" in town...anyhow a few years back she moved to Sosua to "work". There she met an older, rich swiss gentleman who apparently thinks he's found Cinderella. Long story short this girl + her mother + her younger sister all live in (supposedly) luxury in Switzerland (good for her). All we know is that when she comes back to town she's normally driving the latest Mercedes, and (again supposedly) they have some huge house in the hills of PP and a very nice apartment in Sto. Dgo.

Mar 1, 2009
I will e-mail my friends in Laussane (is that how you write it) and try to find a hot spot for Dominicanos over there. My apologies if I came off as abrasive or unhelpful :O)

PrincesseEm

Dec 2, 2008
Thank you all for your comments!

Whirleybird - you've got it down! We are looking for some paisanos to help make the transition a little easier.

Lando_calrisian - We know of a couple "hot spots" for Cubans/salsa vibes but so far no luck for Dominicanos, so anything your friends have to say would be useful!

Cheers to all, Emily

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have yet to meet a female Dominican who has been in Switzerland in other than biblical working status. Most of the young men are there likewise....

Why not?

HB

Reactions: Tamborista

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I have yet to meet a female Dominican who has been in Switzerland in other than biblical working status. Most of the young men are there likewise....

Why not?

HB

I agreed with you, most the Dominicans who lives in Switzerland are working the world's second oldest profession, most of those people come from the very low class in the DR. Their lack of education won't let them to post in a foreing language.

JJ

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Last time I was in Geneva a car drove past blaring out merengue. When I looked I saw it had a large outline map of the DR stuck on the rear windscreen.
I've met several Dominico-Swiss couples in the DR and based on what they've told me there is an emigr? community of sorts in Switzerland, and contrary to the cynics in this thread, not all are members of the oldest profession.

Jan 5, 2006
There is a relatively small Dominican community spread across Switzerland. I've met some Dominican women working in retail stores, and I know some men that work in construction and restaurants. I also know some that are operating unofficial hair salons and barbershops in their homes.

Of course there are some that are involved in love for a fee activities, but the percentage is not as high as some people would have you believe. Let's just say that there's fierce competition in that field from other nationalities. ;)

PrincesseEm

Dec 2, 2008
Thanks Chirimoya. I feel like you may have a better outlook on the situation. The one Dominican/Swiss couple I know, near Luzern, have been happily married for 14 years and have 3 children. The man is the Dominican and he works in the technology field, having arrived in Switzerland as a resort worker. He learned the local language took advantage of some free classes for immigrants and 14 years later he now has his Swiss citizenship. (Other than a few small loopholes the majority of people have to reside in Switzerland for a minimum of 12 years before being eligible for citizenship.)

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I'm glad to heard that, it looks like Dominicans community is developing in Switzerland.Years ago any time I asked about some one who live over there, the answer was:
She is dancing in a night club.

JJ

Reactions: Tamborista