Don't Take the fish !

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
....you do know that parrot fish in many countries are considered inedible .... just a few years ago they were considered non game fish and was no market for them.... the DR is the the first Island that I ordered grouper, and was severed parrot fish.............huge difference.....to the fish gourmets out there does any one know what a hog fish is??........Doc......
Hogfish is a type of Snapper usually found on shoals with lots of current. They are extremely tasty, we used to spear them in The Bahamas and BBQ them whole, just scaled and gutted, in tin foil with onions, garlic, tomato and butter. They have a large mouth and long dorsal fin, and a spot near the tail. Weight is usually 2 to 10 lbs.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
....you do know that parrot fish in many countries are considered inedible .... just a few years ago they were considered non game fish and was no market for them.... the DR is the the first Island that I ordered grouper, and was severed parrot fish.............huge difference.....to the fish gourmets out there does any one know what a hog fish is??........Doc......

I used to think the same myself, thinking they were trash fish. Would watch the locals in St Maarten claw over them like they were prized lobster.
Then I had one at Macao beach couple of years back. Am a fan.
As for hogfish (many call them hog snapper when in fact they are in the wrasse family), they are truly delicious, but seldom caught on hook and line.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
The reefs in Sosua Bay were beautiful a relatively short time ago. Now they are mostly dead. Parrot fish had nothing to do with it.

There are lots of Sargent Majors, but you hardly see any other fish known to frequent reefs. There are spear fishermen that go out everyday and mostly come back empty. I suspect there will be no improvement until you remove the fishing pressure. After that, the nutrient levels. Then go after the greasy sun screen. The water proof variety or the coral safe variety should be the only thing used by the tourists.

I hear that Puerto Plata is now building a sewage treatment plant. They are also building a longer effluent pipe. If you do any snorkeling, you find that the rocks are covered in algae and there are very few fish. That doesn't stop the spearfishermen from coming by several times a day.