Dorado Club, Puerto Plata

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Hey Carina, that is not correct. Where did you hear that?

The flamenco guests are not allowed to use the pool area at Casa Colonial!!! However, if anyone buys a day pass to the gym at Casa Colonial they then could use the pool! But there is no agreement for flamenco guests.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Thanks for the link. I have checked with my "source" who says NO there is no agreement. HOwever if they buy the day pass to the gym then they get to use the pool or apparently if they use a spa service! That is the only way they are allowed up there.

That being said they will keep a closer eye on things.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I hope they do keep a closer eye on things, they need to do that if they want to keep up with the high level they offer.
Flamenco allows their VIP guests to go to the pool, many in the business have talked about that, and don?t understand it.
So it is a fact it is happening, also the reviews states that...

The main thing is that they handle it though..knowing it before or pretending not to, doesn?t matter.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Clarification

I confirmed my information last evening:

If you use spa services then you have the ability to use the pool. However, I was incorrect, a day pass at the gym does NOT give you use of the pool.

The Flamenco does not have an agreement of any kind with Casa Colonial to send their VIP guests to the pool.

They are aware of the trip report and are making sure this does not happen again. Casa Colonial is commited to ensuring the guests staying with them have the kind of experience they have been promised.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Calm down,... are you getting paid or something??? LOL..

This is nothing usual for Playa Dorada in general.
Flamenco even had, at least before, haven?t looked now, information about the special services their Royal Club guests get...that included the permission to the pool. If I am not wrong they have their own small pool now.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I wish I was getting paid.LOl

I just didn't want to leave the wrong impression with what I wrote..... don't want people counting on wrong info....

It is interesting that Flamenco was saying this. Apparently there was never an agreement! Too wierd....

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Casa Colonial

I just returned from a wonderful two evenings at Casa Colonial. This is the kind of place, you want to treat yourself to if money is not the issue. Had visited the hotel and done the tour, but to stay there was another thing. Sara Garcia has done wonders with all her architectural details. The place is a precious jewel for all the senses. Take a stroll through the gardens in the evening and you will be treated to aromatherapy, the illumination is excellent and so romantic. This is definitely a place to choose for your wedding, honeymoon or wedding anniversary, or just to decongest after a major work project.

The architecture and the way the owners have gone all out to provide the comforts possible in the bedrooms and bathrooms of this place. These are 5 star, by any world standard. The Italian linens on the beds, the fluffy duvet and comforter, you couldn't do better. Missing a soft pillow, though, but since I travel with my pillow, was not a problem. May I also point out the silent air conditioner, and above all the great very well trained caring staff...

Room service is excellent and great value, the dinner ware and cuttlery are tops (real silver). The meal was very good, although we had asked for the meat rare and it came back almost well done. But it was good, so no problem. Our fish was very good. Dinner outside on the balcony in the room is a memorable experience.

Their main restaurant is gorgeous, service is great, but food in that one restaurant Lucia is not up to the prices they charge. My husband had been there with a business group a month ago and also felt the meal was below the standards of the hotel. I hope they soon bring in the right chef. I will be looking forward to news on a new chef for that restaurant to dine there again. The decor in the first floor Verandah Restaurant is also gorgeous for having breakfast. The bar area makes you want to linger for long.

Went swimming in their third floor infinity pool at 8 am on Sunday morning. Only other people for another hour were three German-speaking young couples that could have been models for a fashion magazine because they had gorgeous bodies.

Husband and I shared the couple's Swedish massage in the spa. When I was told that the massage was over, I opened my eyes and just wondered if I had been in heaven -- all I could think of was that he was an angel with his magic hands. They leave you brand new. The staff has carried out many courses to reach the level of being able to offer world class massages and again the equipment of the spa is 5 star world class.

Overall, with the exception of the Cap Cana bungalow in front of the sea (that I believe is US$700 the night) that offers a different kind of luxury, I can't think of more luxurious accommodations in this country, and it should be tops anywhere in the Caribbean, too.

Definitely a 5 star hotel. People should check it out before it is discovered by the rich and famous.

Definitely am recommending this to all my friends for when they want a special couples experience.

http://dr1.com/directories/hotels/demo_gran_casa_colonial_VH.shtml

Last edited:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Nice trip report Dolores!!! I heard you were there, glad you enjoyed it. I think it is wonderful too.....

noborders

Dec 4, 2006
How long is the Playa Dorada, how many km or miles ?
Is there a map of the different hotels somwhere on the web ?
... Asking this, because my travel agent suggested that at the Puerto Plata airport, I board one of the buses picking up people who have booked for a week in a hotel with Jetair ; I have only booked for the flight, then booked for only 2 nights on arrival at the Hotetur Dorado club, so I'd like to know where it is and if it is far from the other hotels...
Thanks in advance !

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
While I do not really understand your question, I can tell you that there are about a dozen hotels of different qualities surrounding a very nice golf course.
The Dorado Club (formerly the Dorado Naco) is about 25 meters fromthe Playa Naco and about 50 meters from Heavens (which has a different name, too) and about 60 yards from the mall and another 75 yards to the neighboring hotels...
And it is across the street from the 9th green of the golf course...

there is a map of the area. Do a search on this site and it should come up..

I am afraid that the Hotetur people have not been kidn to the property. It will be okay for a couple of nights, however. Let us know your opinion.

HB

OttawaTom

Dec 15, 2002
Dorado Club

I was there 2 years ago, and we're heading back in a few weeks. It's not a bad little spot. It's not the Ritz, but for the money....

The hotel itself is right in the middle of the complex, directly across the street from the Plaza.

Tom

noborders

Dec 4, 2006
I was in Hotetur Dorado, Playa Dorada, on my way to and coming back from Sto Dgo and Haiti : nice hotel, rooms a little aged, and of different sizes ; had a balcony room when checking in the 1st time a Monday evening, but could not get a "superior category" room, although I had paid for it, on my way back because I arrived a Saturday night (although I had left a little note about this and had phoned the same day to confirm my reservation).

However, as I was specially looking for silence, it turned out that the other category rooms, without balcony, were more silent than the other ones, as I heard no one was walking upstairs.

About food, I disagree that it is bad - nor is it really exceptional IMO, but there is for each meal a wide variety of choice and I guess that the ones who do not feel satisfied with the buffets are maybe those who are used to their staple food and do not want to inovate... ;-)

SAMMIE1

Aug 20, 2007
My Boyfriend Osvaldo Almonte Works At The Dorada Club At The Beach Bar ,does Anyone Know Him