"Dos suicida se recuparan"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Okay I am not a language expert but I assert the above phrase is correct in terms that it is not illogical, because the the word suicida is not only used to classify the person who succeed in the act of suicide but also the one who fails in the act.

The background is that in another thread I am in a disagreement with another member as to the correctness of the above phase. I say the above phrase is correct because the word "suicida" encompasses those who failed in the attempt as well. Therefore, it is logical the the "suicidas" are recuperating. In other words, the word "suicida" is not for the person who is dead, but it also for the person who attempted to die through his act of suicide.

a spanish dictionary has the following definition:
suicida
adj. Del suicidio o relativo a ?l:
fantas?as suicidas.
Hecho arriesgado,imprudente o que da?a a quien lo realiza:
su descuido de la salud es casi suicida.
adj. y com. [Persona] que se suicida o lo intenta:
los m?dicos practicaron un lavado de est?mago al suicida.

Taking the last definition is translates as : person who commit suicide or attempts it.

Another similar headline on other websites, about the Iraqi girl who was supposed to be a suicide bomber says,

Ni?a suicida de 13 a?os se entrega a polic?a en Iraq (a 13 y/o girl "suicida" turns herself to the police in Iraq"

If we take words in bold "Ni?a suicida se entrega" it has similar structure as "dos (ni?as) suicida(s) se recuperan" which is the same as the headline in the title of the thread.

I guess my question is if my assertion that the word "suicida" can be used to define both the person who dies through suicide and the person who fails to die through suicide?

This is not about who is right or wrong, this is about what is correct or not.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
I guess my question is if my assertion that the word "suicida" can be used to define both the person who dies through suicide and the person who fails to die through suicide?

This is not about who is right or wrong, this is about what is correct or not.

It is the intent that is suicidal (suicida). It does not matter if the person dies or not.

Reactions: Theforceinme
Status
Not open for further replies.