Dozens of Americans Become Dominican Citizens

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I obtained my residency before I got married. In fact my wife and I were married in the US and my cedula still shows as me being single in the D.R.. So I don't know if being married to a Dominican has anything to do with residency or citizenship. We did own property together in Santo Domingo which maybe helped expedite things. I've been a resident for around ten years and have considered becoming a citizen if only to avoid having to renew my "permanent" residency but don't know which route will result in the least hassle over all.

The sponsored by your wife route would be the best. No need for medicals...etc, less money. I will be doing my oath sometime in February and other than a few hiccups with waiting for police report and dealing with stupid people itès relatively painless.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
It should of only taken about six months, but I stupidly believed them when they kept telling me my Interpol report should be ready next month, and then next month....etc for almost a year. Finally my wife asked what the problem was to a higher up and they said that the Canadian government hadn't responded to their request. I got a hold of Ottawa and they told me that they had never received a request from the DR government. I then send to Canada for a police report myself from the RCMP and received it by courier, got it legalized at the Canadian Embassy, Translated and stamped by the DR foreign Affairs....etc. Took all this to the PoliceéNaturalisation office in SD. They direct us to a female major and she said it would be ready within a month. a week later they phone and said everything was a go. My wifeès cousin went and paid my 5000 pesos and received a receipt that says February for naturalizacion. All told since I started the process it will be two years in June.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
They told me that a DR police report was what i needed, since DR is my primary residence since 2008

Hope they're right

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We'll see.....
they started with Canada until I pointed out I hadn't resided there since 1995..... non-resident

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
There are various routes to gaining citizenship, the most straightforward and quickest is if you are married to a Dominican. However you still need to have residency first - temporary or permanent, you need to have held it for 6 months and it needs 6 months left to run before it expires. This is for both men and women. Up to 2 years ago women did not need to have residency first. The requirements for the different types of citizenship are here http://www.mip.gob.do/index.php/2015-10-16-17-29-28.

Please note the average waiting time is now 2 years after you have passed all of the requirements, supposedly to wait for an Interpol report, but really methinks as they were overwhelmed.

And congratulations JDJones.

Matilda

No problem here. I've had my Cedula and residence for decades. Actually since before my wife was born.. *roll eyes*

Interesting to note I cannot get to the correct page for naturalization - Symantic stops it as a malicious script. I'll try when I get home.

And Thanks Matilda!

And yes, in a church. And again with a judge. :nervous: