DR and Haiti

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Mirador said:
When I got to the second paragraph, I stopped reading. It started with the following uncompromising statement: "Everyone is a target _". This is not true. We are targets inasmuch as we are perceived to be targets. The reality is that we can control how others perceive us, anywhere, anyplace, and this is the real challenge. For example, on a long stretch of road between Azua and Bani, I saw from afar a lone Haitian migrant walking down the side. As soon as he saw me, he shifted his gait to a long paced stride and started swaying his head side to side. The effect was hilarious. I knew exactly what he was doing, he was immitating what he perceived to be a Dominican's way of walking, and in the process hiding the fact that he was an illegal alien who had just crossed the border.
The article mentioned that in November 30 kidnappings took place, but 30 more kidnappings took place during the first week of December alone!

Haiti has more kidnappings than any other country in the world according to the report, with average of 10 people being kidnapped daily. According to the report, the victims range from defenseless school children to foreign missionaries and everyone in between.

Perhaps this is what they meant by "everyone is a target", meaning that the people being kidnapped are not just rich Haitians, but anyone easy to snatch from the streets and later on they will torture to see if there is any money that can be extracted.

This is very serious and horrifying to read.

Finish reading the article prior to making judgements. The point of the article is that there has been an astronomical upsurge in kidnappings in the past month and this is very unsettling to accept and heartbreaking to read.

Yes, it depends on how people perceive each other, but then again, your post shows that many people can see right through the facade others create. I think kidnappers have this ability... after torturing their victims to near death.

-NAL

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Mirador said:
When I got to the second paragraph, I stopped reading. It started with the following uncompromising statement: "Everyone is a target _". This is not true. We are targets inasmuch as we are perceived to be targets. The reality is that we can control how others perceive us, anywhere, anyplace, and this is the real challenge. For example, on a long stretch of road between Azua and Bani, I saw from afar a lone Haitian migrant walking down the side. As soon as he saw me, he shifted his gait to a long paced stride and started swaying his head side to side. The effect was hilarious. I knew exactly what he was doing, he was immitating what he perceived to be a Dominican's way of walking, and in the process hiding the fact that he was an illegal alien who had just crossed the border.
First you say that in reality we can control how others perceive us, then you give an example showing how you weren't fooled. I don't understand. Wouldn't the subject of your example still be a target if you were so inclined?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
HOWMAR said:
First you say that in reality we can control how others perceive us, then you give an example showing how you weren't fooled. I don't understand. Wouldn't the subject of your example still be a target if you were so inclined?

I wasn't fooled because I'm a 'looker' (aka, Mirador), and the lone Haitian could never have been a target for a 'looker', because in order to 'look' you have to put your predatory instinct on hold.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
More on Kidnapping in Haiti

My take on it is that if those gangs had have a religious conviction similar to that of insurgents in Iraq, Haiti would have found itself in a worst condition than Iraq itself.

The Iraqis had their election, even that seems unforeseeable in Haiti if you read this article in TIME Magazine.

Last edited:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
aegap said:
My take on it is that is those gangs had have a religious conviction similar to that of insurgents in Iraq, Haiti would have found itself in a worst condition than Iraq itself.

The Iraqi had their election, even that seems unforeseeable in Haiti, if you read this article in TIME Magazine.

Contrary to what the mainstream media wants us to believe, it's political convictions not religious faith that fuels the insurgency in Iraq against US occupation. The illegitimacy of the government in Bagdad, just like the one in Port au Prince contributes to caos.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Mirador, I would say it's both. Haiti is really fortunate neither is of paramount importance to those gangs.

Last edited: