DR and Jamaica are Getting Closer

Should the DR get closer to Jamaica?

• Yes, the DR has the most to gain from.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, albeit Jamaica is the one to gain the most.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Yes, both countries will equally gain from this.

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • It doesn't matter.

Votes: 11 68.8%

• Total voters

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
As per worldbank.org:
JAMAICA
Like its neighbors across the Caribbean, Jamaica is vulnerable to natural disasters including hurricanes, flooding and the effects of climate change. It is an upper middle income country but struggles with low growth, high public debt and many external shocks which weaken its economy. Over the last 30 years, real per capita GDP increased at an average of just one percent per year, making Jamaica one of the slowest growing developing countries in the world. By 2012 Jamaica had accumulated debt equal to 145 percent of GDP.
To stabilize the economy, reduce debt and fuel growth, the Government is implementing an ambitious reform program which has garnered national and international support. As part of a comprehensive package, the World Bank and the Inter-American Development Bank each agreed to provide US$510 million between April 2013 and March 2017, while the International Monetary Fund (IMF) committed a US$932 million funding program through its Extended Fund Facility (EFF) covering the same four-year period. At the end of 2016, the IMF approved a three-year US$1.64 billion program under the Stand-By
Arrangement as a follow-up to the now concluded EFF. In addition, the International Finance Corporation (IFC) continues to support private sector development in Jamaica.
The institutional reforms and efforts to improve the investment climate starting to bear fruit. The country’s credit rating has improved and Jamaican bonds trade at a premium in international markets. Total government debt fell to 121 percent of GDP by the end of 2016.
Jamaica’s GDP rose by 1.4 percent in 2016 and similar growth is expected in 2017. That follows three years of steady growth. According to the Statistical Institute of Jamaica (STATIN), poverty fell to 20 percent in 2014 from 25 percent in 2013, but it still remains higher than pre-2009 levels.
Despite the progress, faster economic growth is needed to eliminate poverty and boost shared prosperity. Crime and violence levels remain high. Youth unemployment is a persistent problem. Unemployment in April 2017 was about 12.2 percent, while 26.2 percent of those between 20 and 24 years of age were unemployed, according to STATIN. 
Last Updated: Sep 29, 2017

RD
The Dominican Republic has enjoyed strong economic growth in recent years and a significant reduction in poverty, although the country remains vulnerable to natural disasters such as hurricanes and earthquakes.
The Dominican Republic’s economic growth has been one of the strongest in the LAC region over the past 25 years. In the first quarter of 2017, the economy expanded by 5.2 percent, following yearly average growth of 7.1 percent between 2014-16. This contrasted sharply with that of the average 1.4 percent contraction for the LAC region in 2016.
The share of Dominicans living in poverty (about 152 Dominican pesos a day) fell sharply from 42.2 percent in 2012 to 30.5 percent in 2016, according to official estimates. Yet, social spending in the DR remains low compared to the rest of the region. On average, total health spending in the DR increased from roughly 2.2% of GDP in 2000 to 2.9% in 2014, compared to the regional average of 3.7%. However, the Government remains committed to allocate every year 4% of GDP to the education sector.
According to the World Bank Group’s Doing Business 2017, the Dominican Republic made getting an electricity connection faster and paying taxes less costly. However, despite improvements in doing business, further reforms are needed to improve the country’s competitiveness.
Better water and electricity services are also needed to support growth in tourism, agriculture and manufacturing. While debt levels continue to rise, debt trajectory remains sustainable and progress has been made in recent years, including in diversifying financing sources.
Last Updated: Sep 29, 2017

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
....in my home state of Minnesota.....you go to your MD, tell that person you want weed....a variety of reasons are ok.....take your note to friendly weed store and make your choice.....takes the criminal element out of it...high quality...low price......

DOC, I never figured you for a toker.
But Colorado Oregon already have recreation stores as will Washington, California and Nevada next year - just walk in with an ID saying you 18 and buy whatever meets your fancy - I hear prices aren't cheap - taxes you know for non-medical use.
I grew up 40 years too late for it to interest me.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
What are the unique benefits each country brings to the table?

Seems like a group yawn...

For Jamaica, a bigger (and close) market for export. Jamaica is about 1/6th the size of the DR and its population is less than the population of Greater Santo Domingo alone. The DR also has the largest middle class in the region and travelling abroad, especially within the Caribbean and Central America, is gaining more momentum than ever before. Jamaica could benefit from that too. 

For the DR, a greater pro-DR supporter within the CARICOM. The Haitian issue created a schism between the DR and those English islands. Haiti is not capable of offering as much $$$ opportunities as the DR can.

Jamaica is not only the largest English-speaking country south of the USA, its larger by a huge difference. I think Jamaica’s stance on many things has much more weight than any of the postage size islands to the east. 

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
For Jamaica, a bigger (and close) market for export. Jamaica is about 1/6th the size of the DR and its population is less than the population of Greater Santo Domingo alone. The DR also has the largest middle class in the region and travelling abroad, especially within the Caribbean and Central America, is gaining more momentum than ever before. Jamaica could benefit from that too. 

For the DR, a greater pro-DR supporter within the CARICOM. The Haitian issue created a schism between the DR and those English islands. Haiti is not capable of offering as much $$$ opportunities as the DR can.

Jamaica is not only the largest English-speaking country south of the USA, its larger by a huge difference. I think Jamaica’s stance on many things has much more weight than any of the postage size islands to the east. 
So, really, a lot of "soft" issues, little of substance in real economc development or trade. More Political.

Why haven't Dominicans traveled to Jamaica in decent numbers before? Why have Jamaicans not traveled to the DR? One would think at least one airliner a week could be filled if there was any actual demand.

Good relationships are fine and all, but still seems like a big yawn.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Images of the visit in Jamaica

Danilo walking past Jamaican soldiers.
38650242562_03c23a4e52_k.jpg

Introducing the Prime Minister to the Dominican delegation.
24809799708_76ac718cfa_k.jpg

Paying respect to Jamaican heroes.
24809946758_7b9b0811e8_k.jpg

The reunion (I can't stop laughing at the guy in the lower center of the photo, what a hair style! LOL)
38626186546_49698fc545_k.jpg

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The meeting from a different angle. Jamaicans on the left, Dominicans on the right.
38626186346_ada5c433c1_k.jpg

For some reason this photo reminds of the movie Men in Black. lol
37964436234_6fb5eb35a6_k.jpg

The Governor General gives Danilo the highest honor a foreigner can receive in Jamaica.
38632415596_8f51e7d0ff_k.jpg

Its official.
38688815791_47e1a0eda4_k.jpg

Photos are courtesy of Presidencia de la República Dominicana.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

I have to correct the bolded part, I meant to say 'about 1/5th the size of the DR.'

More or less the size of the eastern DR.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
DOC, I never figured you for a toker.
But Colorado Oregon already have recreation stores as will Washington, California and Nevada next year - just walk in with an ID saying you 18 and buy whatever meets your fancy - I hear prices aren't cheap - taxes you know for non-medical use.
I grew up 40 years too late for it to interest me.

.....chico... I was at university in the 1960s....I think a toke for a few of the people here,once in a while would be what the Doc orders.....anyway once california is opened.....pandoras box is opened........

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
.....chico... I was at university in the 1960s....I think a toke for a few of the people here,once in a while would be what the Doc orders.....anyway once california is opened.....pandoras box is opened........

You think it would mellow out some of the street criminals ?
I went to college in early 70s so I was an high volume participant, but the quality (strength) of today's pot made our generation's seem like actual grass (they kind you mow)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Images of the visit in Jamaica

Danilo walking past Jamaican soldiers.
38650242562_03c23a4e52_k.jpg

Introducing the Prime Minister to the Dominican delegation.
24809799708_76ac718cfa_k.jpg

Paying respect to Jamaican heroes.
24809946758_7b9b0811e8_k.jpg

The reunion (I can't stop laughing at the guy in the lower center of the photo, what a hair style! LOL)
38626186546_49698fc545_k.jpg

that guy with the two color hairstyle is Pearnel Charles, one of the most brilliant orators in the caribbean. a firebrand and volatile guy, he has been one of the most successful politicians ever in the region. he suffered from some pigmentation problems when he was younger, and it affected his hair. i guess he gave up trying dyes and treatments, and just went full crazy.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
His son, Pearnel Patroe Charles Jr., is making quite the name for himself as well.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
His son, Pearnel Patroe Charles Jr., is making quite the name for himself as well.

i never met him, but Pearnel i know. i have always considered Sr to be a fierce political opponent. i will never forget the day i saw him punch out the lights of a guy who spat on him, on the campus of the University of the West Indies, in 1972. he then subsequently went to jail for carrying an unlicensed firearm. he was given a sentence of indefinite detention..