DR at the bottom of PISA education ranking

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
So rich kids are getting a better education than the poor ones.. not surprising at all.

i did not say that. i said i have no exposure to any data that expresses the relative qualities of the respective educations. i would believe that what you said might be accurate, though.*

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
tell us about the library at your school, bob. i do not mean this facetiously, but i have my ideas of what schools here look like, and i want to be pleasantly surprised.

Small library but we do have one. Books are expensive and good ones in Spanish hard to find here in the DR, Although we have found a decent book store in Santiago that is only an hour away.
You would be surprised to know that two of the public schools here have libraries. One of the schools is located in the worse barrios in Jarabacoa, Barrio Blanco.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
tell you what. i will make you a deal. i will get a hold of Dominican high school final exams. then you go get a hold of the General Certificate of Education Advanced Level, which is the test that is used in the British system. tell me which Dominican high school kids can pass the GCE.

I have no doubt that the British standard is higher. What I am saying is the Dominican tests are hard, and beyond what most of the teachers are capable of teaching.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
so, bob, i am sure you have seen some of the tests that are part of this process. tell us how you think your charges would have done..

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Its ironic several countries ahead of DR in education but they immigrate to here because of a growing economy and more oppurtunity.*

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I actually looked now at the list. It is mostly first world countries. So it is a step up for the DR to compare with these countries. I they move up this list they make huge progress then compared to the past. My experience from hring young staff is that they are getting much better at English and they are quite tech oriented too. In general Dominicans dont seem to know much history and geography. Everything is NY outside DR.*

May 29, 2006
Mi esposa's two kids are ten and twelve and their shared math book would be first grade. Pages and pages of what is eight minus three and other single digit problems.

Mi esposa is good at keeping a running total when we shop, but I didn't have much luck explaining pi the other day.

Something like Khan Academy in Spanish would be great.

The kids can miss school the day after it rains if their shoes and clothes get wet walking home in the rain.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I actually looked now at the list. It is mostly first world countries. So it is a step up for the DR to compare with these countries. I they move up this list they make huge progress then compared to the past. My experience from hring young staff is that they are getting much better at English and they are quite tech oriented too. In general Dominicans dont seem to know much history and geography. Everything is NY outside DR.*

you made a very important point, John, about Dominicans not knowing about history and geography. sadly, that deficit is part of what gives people the reflex impression that they are not too bright. nobody can tell from a casual meeting whether or not you are capable of solving quadratic equations, but when you meet a guy from Malaysia and you ask him if that is near to Boston, you know he is going to deem you to be lacking.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I find it kind of charming their naitiviti on history and geograhpy. I think who cares anyway. *It is now that is important and for a Dominican whats important is the Caribbean and the United States. I think they moved a step up by joining this Pisa test with first world countries and other more developing countries. Young people are generally learning what is needed English and technology. They are quite practical. I think I made another important point. Colombians, Cubans, Venezuelans, Puerto Ricans and Haitians immigrate here for work as it is a growing economy with more oppurtunity.*

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I find it kind of charming their naitiviti on history and geograhpy. I think who cares anyway. *It is now that is important and for a Dominican whats important is the Caribbean and the United States. I think they moved a step up by joining this Pisa test with first world countries and other more developing countries. Young people are generally learning what is needed English and technology. They are quite practical. I think I made another important point. Colombians, Cubans, Venezuelans, Puerto Ricans and Haitians immigrate here for work as it is a growing economy with more oppurtunity.*

the DR does present opportunities for citizens of other countries in the region with distressed economies, because it does have a growing economy, relative to the other countries. that having been said, i wince when people ask me if Jamaica has the kind of blizzards that episodically befall the Eastern Seaboard.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Mi esposa's two kids are ten and twelve and their shared math book would be first grade. Pages and pages of what is eight minus three and other single digit problems.

Mi esposa is good at keeping a running total when we shop, but I didn't have much luck explaining pi the other day.

Something like Khan Academy in Spanish would be great.

The kids can miss school the day after it rains if their shoes and clothes get wet walking home in the rain.

A ten year old would normally be in grade 5 and a twelve year old grade 6 or 7. What grade are these two kids in that they would have a shared math textbook?
A grade 3 textbook has questions like: El cabello ha recorrido 46 km de los 261 km que hay entre dos ciudades distintas. Cu?ntos kil?metros le faltan por recorrer?
Also simple division and multiplication questions. Factions as well.

Last edited:

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
My oldest son has a French exam this week. He told me today he needed to learn the color: rojo = rouge, blanco = blanc, amarillo = beige....I said stop! , yellow isn't beige, should be jaune.*

He showed me his book, see below, good job Santillana (and teacher for not fixing it):

90998435-CCBC-4365-9E6D-1865B4986D79_zpslnfunzuj.jpg

Note also the colors jaune (looks more like orange) and orange (looks more like red). Why not just make a list of the colors in both languages instead of showing the colors in ink which is begging for mistakes in printing.

Aug 21, 2007
My oldest son has a French exam this week. He told me today he needed to learn the color: rojo = rouge, blanco = blanc, amarillo = beige....I said stop! , yellow isn't beige, should be jaune.*

He showed me his book, see below, good job Santillana (and teacher for not fixing it):

90998435-CCBC-4365-9E6D-1865B4986D79_zpslnfunzuj.jpg

Note also the colors jaune (looks more like orange) and orange (looks more like red). Why not just make a list of the colors in both languages instead of showing the colors in ink which is begging for mistakes in printing.

My questions is this. Are not these textbooks edited? This is inexcusable!

Is your son in public school or private?

Lindsey

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
My questions is this. Are not these textbooks edited? This is inexcusable!

Is your son in public school or private?

Lindsey

*Private, but not 'high end' private. It's not the first time that I find lack of editing in Santillana's books, besides in my opinion just a lack of a clear vision on what to teach children at what age (but they adapt the content to the Dominican curriculum ofcourse). Sometimes they seem to think: the more difficult the higher the level.

When we asked our son if the teacher hadn't explained it he answered the teacher hadn't discussed colors but only told them to learn the colors (from the book). So, besides a unedited studio book also an unprepared teacher.

Anyway, our house here is for sale, among others for exactly this reason. Education here is bad or mediocre at best, OR unaffordable for me.*

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I've told this story before, but here it is again.

Shortly after moving here, I went to pick up my mail at the Business Mail location in Puerto Plata. The clerk was studying from a Biology textbook. It was very basic information - the reproductive structures of the flower, to be exact. I noticed, because I am a retired Biology teacher, that the labeling was wrong. The text had the pistil listed as being the male flower part and the stamen as the female, while it is actually the reverse.

It wasn't written notes that might have been written incorrectly. Rather, it was the printed text that was wrong. I told the clerk that it was incorrect, but he insisted that what the book said had to be right.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Another topic, and here I'm not sure *but intuitively I'd say the book is wrong, Spanish grammar, it said: el adjectivo en grado superlativo es 'muy gordo' (positivo being gordo, comparativo being m?s gordo). I'd say the grades would be : gordo (positivo), m?s / muy gordo (comparativo) and gordisimo / el m?s gordo (superlativo).*

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
i read some working papers that deal with education systems in the caribbean and Latin America, and the data revealed that teachers in the Dominican Republic spend 20% of the time allocated for classes just trying to restore and maintain order, and that the students spend 18% of class time talking about issues not remotely related to schoolwork.

There is a good video on feybu of a japanese guy giving a presentation in colombia bit all of what he says alao applies to DR. He said colombians all think japanese are very smart. He said, no, colombians are smarter. He had seen examples of people fixing cars with improvised tools and other such examples of "intelligence".

He then went on to list the differences in why japanese seem smarter and seem to get further in life. He said japanese arrive on time, colombians are always late. Japanese if they fear will be 10 minutes late will call the day before to inform and ask forgiveness. Colombians will show up 1.5 hours late and not say a word. He mentioned japanese actually listen to the professor rather than endlessly talking amongst themselves.

He went through a long list and most of it made sense.

I took a course on joomla years back. 20 students all talking at same time and louder than teacher, reverberating from cinderblock walls was painful.

Took a seminar on jazz guitar and same thing. People would actually answer their phone and talk louder than the teacher.

One should not need extensive formal education to realize how stupid that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk