DR Capitalism

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Maybe.

But you're not going to live a long life to spend with your family if you get strangled about the neck by an irate customer because of your lousy service.

If you want to take it easy, retire? Do so, by all means. But don't run a business then.

And that's the question of the thread, do Dominicans make good capitalists (or entrepreneurs)?

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Capitalizm

This is one reason why the Dominican society is in such a sad state. Failure to take responsiblity!!

The "Take it easy lifestyle reflects their economic condition" For example, I have some Dominican friends who were looking for work, there was a job fair at one of the local cable companies, so I suggested:

Would you like me to update your resume, then we can go together to the job fair, resume in hand and get an interview.

The reply: My friend is going to get me a job!!

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
;) :confused: :beard:

"Eureka!!", as that famous backdoor atrist exclaimed.

I think I have the answer why that guy didn't want the job for the 1000 chairs. These small time "professionals" want the one-time walkins instead of the "big time" customers because they can charge more for the time spent than for a big order.
It's that convoluted, backward (to us) philosophy, that drives them. They can do 1000 SMALL jobs faster than the one big job, do a mediocre job along with it and make more money for their time.

I know that sounds crazy, but think about it for a minute and you'll see what I mean.

If I take your 1000 item job, my time is tied up, I'm bound to make mistakes I'll have to eat, and I'll miss out on all that walk in business that I can do faster and not have to put as much perfect work into.

Agree?? Disagree??

Texas Bill

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
twisted

TexasBill, this thinking is so twisted that I cannot get my mind fully around it. Do people really think this way? We'll they should stop thinking and start working, as it consumes a mighty amount of energy to come up with this twisted logic.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The "Other" Dominican business "mindset",is to raise prices,

...when business is bad!!!!!! In stead of lowering their prices to stimulate sales,they "Raise" their prices inorder to make more profit on the fewer items they do sell!!!! Of course this doesn't work,so they again raise their prices,until they finally go out of business!!! "What A Country"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

Ever go to rent an apartment,or a house??? It will be a "Disaster"! Dirty,broken windows,leaks and broken bathroom fixtures,needing a paint job,etc! Now why doesn't the owner paint,clean,fix the leakes,fix the bathroom,etc,inorder to rent the place faster? Because he is going to use your security deposit to do those things! Or worse yet,if you don't watch his ass,not do anything,and leave you to fix the place up!!!!!

Here is a "Golden Rule" for transactions in the DR!!!! NEVER,repeat,NEVER,give the money to a dominican before you receive the "goods or sevices" you are paying for!!! ALWAYS,get a signed and sealed receipt!!!Never loan money!!!(These are good rules anywhere in the World,but "Golden Rules" here!!!!!!It is not "morally" wrong not to pay debts here,or take money and not perform the service!
CRIS COLON

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Thismay be a little off-thread. If so edit it out.

I sometimes use the term "New York Con-artist" to describe just those actions debated in this thread. Makes me wonder if the propensity wasn't exported by the original Dominicans to arrive there.

Here, if someone owes you money, and you go to the police to get them to pay, you're an "asshole"(as I was recently called(that person is now in jail)). On the other hand, if you don't do anything, then you're a fool. It seems to me that you lose, either way. Howsomeever, by forcing the issue, you convey the ider of "don't tread on me, or you'll be damn sorry" and gain respect by taking action. And you won't be bothered by people constantly asking for a "loan"!!

Texas Bill