DR Drivers License without cedula

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
I read in a thread that I now cannot locate that a person with a valid national drivers license can obtain a DR license without a cedula. I have a French friend who would like to do so, and he knows he needs to get a verification document of some sort from the French embassy in SDO in order to do so. However, INTRANT here in POP could not answer any questions and only gave him an address for INTRANT in SDO. Has anyone obtained a license in this way and can give some info? Please don't hijack this thread with opinions and non-helpful replies. Thank you.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I expect you will find that it is not possible if you entered the DR on a tourist card.

I will be very surprised if there is a way.

If you are a legal resident some countries will verify your license is valid and you can then trade if for a Dominican license without having to take the driving and written tests.

That is probably what you saw and cannot find.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
As mentioned, some countries(like Canada) can exchange their license for a Dominican one but you will still need residency and a cedula. I've heard that it's such a PITA that it's just easier to take the drivers test.

Reactions: Fulano2 and Buck

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
Thank you all for your replies thus far. I thought I had read somewhere that it could be done without a cedula, so I assumed that meant residency wasn't required.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Call the French embassy, they will know the answer but I'm certain you'll need residency.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thank you all for your replies thus far. I thought I had read somewhere that it could be done without a cedula, so I assumed that meant residency wasn't required.
No you did not read that anywhere that it could have been correct.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You CANNOT get a license here without a Cedula. And you CANNOT get a Cedula without Risidency or Citizenship.........................

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
You CANNOT get a license here without a Cedula. And you CANNOT get a Cedula without Risidency or Citizenship.........................
Well, to be fair, you know the French. They think they are owed privileges any other culture isn't entitled to. Like when Chirac stood up and stormed out of the conference because it was being held in English. A dead language now only found useful in some culinary circles . To them, Madame Defarge is still knitting away. Vive la France!

Status
Not open for further replies.