Votes: 12 8.9%
  • Tourist and don't drive

Votes: 9 6.7%

• Total voters

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
sure we drive....

We are tourists and drive, crazy yes, but we will be residents in the near future and have visited more than a dozen times. I can't imagine not having our own transportation any more.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
There's no way I could run my business and not drive but I just can't imagine not driving!

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
After a while you just get used to it, the first few times will probably be an eye opener, but after a while when you learn the routes and dominican driving habits, you'll adapt and blend right on in.

Definitely agree with this...

The very large majority of Dominicans follow a national system.. they are not dumb nor do they want to die in the road... there are just a few crazy people on the road that make it more or less interesting..

Once you've learned the Dominican system you're good to go imo.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
for my job I used to drive + 100,000 miles per year all over Europe...

so driving here is not all that different....

well, no, I lied... it is different... in Europe I was the idiot... and here I'm looking for the idiots... lol

in Europe I drove a high-speed car, being on my cell, taking notes, and steering with my knees... (I got the fines to prove that one... lol...)

Driving "professionaly" in Europe teaches you a lot of things, like watching 3 or 4 cars ahead of you... anticipating ridiculous moves, etc... which certainly helps you over here...

the one thing I hate over here, and try to avoid to the maximum is driving at night...

during daytime over here, i take it easy, have a good overview of the traffic thanks to the millions of miles I drove already... and give right of drive more often than I should... just to be safe...

at nighttime, all the lunatics are released onto the roads...

it is a change... in Europe I was the lunatic (1200 km in 8 hours, from Antwerp to Barcelona... lol) ... and here i am the safe driver... whahahahaha

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I spent about 3 weeks in DR this summer and drove a rental every day; mostly north coast, lots of trips between santiago and cabarete. Adjusted to local rules quickly: "there is no such thing as a red light". Sadly, after I got back to Canada, I am often the most aggressive driver the road here and having a hard time adjusting back!

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
If I drove in England like I am forced to drive here then I would be at best locked up and probably stabbed to death.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i drive but i do not enjoy it. luckily i passed the stage of having bad stomach cramps every time i was behind the wheel. now i just swear and sweat :)
had few rubs with other cars but nothing serious but then i do not go very fast and i avoid driving at night.
still, it is better than taking motos. but worse than walking, somehow. having said this - it takes me less time to make a turn in a heavy traffic than cross the same street on foot. go figure.

E

engineerfg

The 2 things that drive me insane driving in this jungle are:

1. Car Publico's - It's a fact, you can't drive forward, while you're looking at the sidewalk all day to pick up a fare. Multitasking just doesn't work. What I can't understand is, if I had to drive for 10 hours a day, one would assume i'd be a good safe driver, but they're all such brut aS-Sholes. I don't get it.

2. Speed + Horn = chicken. If you're turning, after seeing you, instead of slowing down, they will speed up and honk the horn. Like that's supposed to magically make everything safer??? :( Uneducated mud creatures :(

Reactions: Celt202

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I am Dominican and I drive...however...it took me two minor car accidents to TRULY LEARN how to drive there! Bottome line for me is you have to drive with 6 eyes. 2 front, 2 back 1 on each side of your head!!!!!!

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
Vacation vs. traveling

If you are vacationing for relaxation why would you want to drive. Take taxis everywhere.

If you are a traveler/adventurer go ahead and drive. You are already up for anything, and presume to have some experience behind the wheel. I go to D.R. often, and always start in Santo Domingo, and venture out to where ever i planned on so i hit both the soul crushing traffic (no worse than nYC rush traffic) and normally i take the major highways so the roads are in good condition. i dont mind either.

bottom line if your goal is a relaxing vacation take taxis, if are traveling around the country for fun, and adventure its ok to drive. Just use your common sense, avoid potholes (ollas, and volcanos), dont pick up hitch hikers, be careful at night, and know where you are going.....

Reactions: Africaida

DR2001

Jan 2, 2011
Long time visitors, but haven't tackled the driving yet, usually use specific driver, but one day we are going to have to and I dread it. I can't stand to drive with hubby at home, but he will fit right in and I will be taking a valium.

Memo

Jul 30, 2005
Las Galeras
www.elotrowa.com
With a smile, you can do anything.

Others may not be smiling but you should be prepared for them to do anything.

Keep your windows down (doors locked) to listen for motoconchos.

He with the brightest lights at night has the right of way.

Bill