DR is one o the World,s top retirement haven!

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Just got back from "Super Pola",bought 3 pounds of pork chops imported from USA,you know,"That Expensive Place",79 pesos a pound,next to the dominican porkchops,at 99 pesos a pound!

Many retirees are chosing to stay in the USA.If they get sick,they can find a REAL DOCTOR.In a REAL HOSPITAL,with REAL NURSES,and Techs.
The DR might be a good place to live,but it is a horrible place to DIE!
Ask the 7 who died in Santiago this weekend!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Many are more than happy with medical treatment in the DR. The outdoor lifestyle, good diet, etc. preserves life. If there is bypass operation etc. necessary there are plenty of medical centres in the World that perform this procedure with success. France Thailand etc. are probably the places to retire if constant medical attention is required. Otherwise a check-up every 2 or so years is in order. Of course nursing care in the home is entirely possible in the DR and reasonable in price.

pi2

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Many are more than happy with medical treatment in the DR. The outdoor lifestyle, good diet, etc. preserves life. If there is bypass operation etc. necessary there are plenty of medical centres in the World that perform this procedure with success. France Thailand etc. are probably the places to retire if constant medical attention is required. Otherwise a check-up every 2 or so years is in order. Of course nursing care in the home is entirely possible in the DR and reasonable in price.

pi2

Yes, it is magnificent. Just ask all those expats, and even RICH locals (f.e. of Spanish origin, who have lived here for over 40 years, but still also have Spanish citizenship) who have to scurry back to their home-country once it is discovered they need chemotherapy, and it is discovered it is not included in the insurance.

Just had this happen to the mother of one of our friends here. The mother had the choice of moving back to Spain for 6 months to receive treatment, or fork out over 50,000$.

Stop telling people blatant lies!!!! This irritates me beyond words!!!

BelgianK

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Not to mention Dominican politicians and bigwigs who run to Miami and NY for medical care. Their government issued health insurance policies have international coverage.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Yes, it is magnificent. Just ask all those expats, and even RICH locals (f.e. of Spanish origin, who have lived here for over 40 years, but still also have Spanish citizenship) who have to scurry back to their home-country once it is discovered they need chemotherapy, and it is discovered it is not included in the insurance.

Just had this happen to the mother of one of our friends here. The mother had the choice of moving back to Spain for 6 months to receive treatment, or fork out over 50,000$.

BelgianK

Yes, I think this "Pi in the sky advice" could be dangerous to the innocent, naive person who doesnt know better. I had the misfortune of catching a bad parasite last year that put me in a serious state, which meant 7 days in the ICU at Hospiten, considered one of the best Hospitals. I was probed and prodded without care or regard to proper cleanliness and hygiene one would expect. The nursing care is far from what I would consider acceptable standards, reminded me of my muchacha with a shringe. After said and done still cost me 4k to get out of there over and above my ARS Seguros.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011

BelgianK

The International Living list was

Ecuador, Panama, Mexico, Malaysia, Colombia, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Spain,
Thailand, Honduras, Uruguay, Italy, Brazil, Ireland, France, Costa Rica, Belize,
Chile and the Dominican Republic.

I am sure there are other places where long term cancer treatment is difficult under local insurances.

However local clinics - private - run by Cubans and others have good reputations and perform emergency operations.

The option for intenational insurance is there.

pi2

Last edited:

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
so I gave that link a little bit more of attention...

once again... they are just statistics, and they do not quote how they gathered them. In all probability some guys got asked whether they wanted to participate in filling out a questionaire...

Some one on this board claims the DR is real cheap to live in... so how come they scored so badly on that particular point in this survey???

Italy scores a perfect 100 on climate. So, only people living in certain areas of Italy answered. As living in the North ain't no fun with all the snow, rain and cold. And living close to the Vesuvius should not be much of a "blast" either. And if you live in one of the nice areas in Italy, like Tuscany, I can tell you life is expensive, real estate is expensive, and you will enjoy an empty bank-account but a good life.

Living expenses of Italy and the Dr are actually equal in this "survey". Sorry, I have to get this one out.... BWOEHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. AAAAAHHHHH, much better.

Pi2... your 400 rds per day, equals cc. 8 euro. You will get squat for that in Tuscany, Capri, Rome, lake Como, or any other nice region in Italy.

Health Care in the DR scores the SECOND LOWEST score on the list of 19. Only beaten by Ireland, and this must be the one irate expat there who ate the corned beed in the container (spoiled after standing there for months, waiting for the papers from the DR) at one of Ireland's ports, meant to be sent to O'Shays in Cabarete.

Pi2, pls do yourself, and especially us, a favor. Jump on your scooter, or even better, your solar-powered bike, ride about 6 hours to the first decent hospital in SD (mind you, I will admit that with a car this could be done in about 2 hours) and get yourself a head-scan...

Yours respectfully,

BelgianK

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
You know something pi2,if you actually "Walked The Walk",rather than just "Talking The Talk",people might have a speck of respect for you!
In case you haven't noticed we have entered the 21st. Century!
Telling our children to "Suck-it-up" and try and learn in a dark,hot,classroom,without computer access,will ensure an endless supply of ignorant adults to man all the unskilled jobs available in the future.
Good!
More prostitutes and Drug Dealers,the DR's most exportable skills!
Go watch you "Green TV",and swim in you "Solar Powered" swimming pool!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
You Ain't Fool'n Anyone!

Come on CC give Pi2 a break he forgot(once again) to take his medicine this morning

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
P U,says the dominican diet is healty?
If you consider,fat,salt,and sugar healty!
I worked at the "Hands Down" best hospital in the DR for over 10 years,I go to Boston when I need health care,or surgery.
You may have a very skilled domincan surgeon,but the nurses can kill you!
They know next to "NADA"!
If you get a post op infection here,"PRAY", cause your doctor won't know what to do!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
It looks as a thread on retirement in the DR will get as many different opinions as readers. Of course anyone making a move needs to do research and for some people health service is a huge priority. Others, its food, still others leisure persuits of various types. France has large numbers of U S retirees, far more than the DR. Some retirees combine two or more countries. DR seemes to be rising up the list of tourist destinations and certainly there is progress in the DR in infrastructure. People thinking of moving can listen to a variety of different opinions.

pi2

pi2

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
I guess most of these recepies are moderately healthy. Maybe you sustitute olive oil in some.

Aunt Clara’s Kitchen: Dominican cooking, recipes, dishes, food and culinary culture

pi2

P U,says the dominican diet is healty?
If you consider,fat,salt,and sugar healty!
I worked at the "Hands Down" best hospital in the DR for over 10 years,I go to Boston when I need health care,or surgery.
You may have a very skilled domincan surgeon,but the nurses can kill you!
They know next to "NADA"!
If you get a post op infection here,"PRAY", cause your doctor won't know what to do!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Not one dominican family in ten cook the food in "Aunt Claras" cookbook.
They eat "Salami",fried cheese,and "Pan con chocolate!
I had a 5 pound bag of "Domino" sugar in my cupboard in Boston for years.It turned into cement!
We go through about 5 pounds a week here.Same goes for cooking oil.I had a small bottle in Boston,it went rancid sitting on the shelf!
I buy "Canola Oil" here,just to help their arteries a little.My mother-in-law starts cooking rice,by frying about 3 tablespoons of salt!
I buy fresh oranges for "juice",I ask for mine,BEFORE,several cups of sugar get mixed in!
A huge number of dominicans have high blood pressure,AND Diabetes.
"Healthy Diet"??? I don't think so!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
I had a 5 pound bag of "Domino" sugar in my cupboard in Boston for years.It turned into cement!
We go through about 5 pounds a week here.Some goes for cooking oil.I buy "Canola Oil",just to help them a little.My mother-in-law starts cooking rice,by frying about 3 tablespoons of salt!
I buy fresh oranges for "juice",I ask for mine,BEFORE,several cups of sugar get mixed in!
"Health Diet"??? I don't think so!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
This is the only place I've seen people add sugar to baby formula. My secretary and her husband make a good income, always have plenty of food in the house, but insist spiking the baby's bottle with sugar. She says that is the way she learned from her mother and grandmother and now the kid refuses formula without sugar added. Go figure.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We go through about 5 pounds a week here.Same goes for cooking oil.I had a small bottle in Boston,it went rancid sitting on the shelf!
I buy "Canola Oil" here,just to help their arteries a little.My mother-in-law starts cooking rice,by frying about 3 tablespoons of salt!
"Healthy Diet"??? I don't think so!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

That decribes my mother-in-law to a T. My wife is a fruit and vegetable gal, and doesn't eat very much rice and ther only meat she eats is skinned chicken. Something like 60% of Dominican adults have HP.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It's always nice to see posters on DR1 state the truth about what life is really like in the DR!
Why do many othersseem find it helpful to say what we WISH it was like here.
CCC

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
It's always nice to see posters on DR1 state the truth about what life is really like in the DR!
Why do many othersseem find it helpful to say what we WISH it was like here.
CCC

There are some excellent Dominican meals. Plus it is very possible to prepare many other international cusines given the range of ingredients available. Of course one advantage is the international ambience - So if a Thai green curry is the order of the day it is very possible to find the ingredients including curry paste and Thai fragrent rice to complement the great chicken and veg obtainable in the DR.

pi2

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Over 10,000 views - there must be some interest in retiring to the DR. As reported on another thread prices of choice condos are rising apace and there is evidence that the DR is starting to get noticed on the international retirement scene. The strong economy, low cost of living, pleasant climate are all attractions as are the superb international transport links. Health services are improving with new private clinics opening. Stroll on and swim from pristine beaches, listen to concerts of local music, wonder at the huge national parks, enjoy World class restaurants and other amenities, ride motorcycles on uncluttered superbly constructed roads, enjoy the hospitality of local people, stargaze the amazing heavens with clear skies, use eco-sensiitive power sources, enjoy local foods at good prices : all other factors that are making the DR increasingly attractive.
pi2