DR middle class and Dom York Chopo(a)s

Status
Not open for further replies.

contasm

May 10, 2005
AZB said:
Ricardo, dom yorks are the biggest chopos. Hahahaha. they come here, most of them look like thugs, tattoes, ear rings (fake diamonds studs) and always wear a baseball cap.

Scandall said:
AZB is right. Most people laugh at Dom Yorks the same as they laugh at women being Sankified.

I would like to take certain comments made in ?Looking for the real thing? thread and start a new one.
http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=319855#post319855

Why DR middle class dislikes/laughs at/resents Dom York Chopo(a)s - DYCs ?

I?m referring to DR middle class living in DR.

Indeed, it is the middle class that is largely affected by the presence of DYCs. The upper classes rarely have contact with DYC?s or simply do not frequent places where DYCs gather. I have not heard many negative remarks from people in the lower classes toward DYCs

Is there certain resentfulness toward DYCs in DR?

Possible reasons :

- The middle class feels diluted or ?watered down? or ?classed down? when DYCs try to penetrate this group.

- Members of the middle class are afraid of been identified as a DYCs

- DYCs give the international community a wrong idea of what majority of Dominican are.

- DYCs ?parade? goods that, although symbols of middle class, are hard to obtain but are obtained through hard work. (Jewelry, designer clothing etc.).

- DYCs are perceived as ?Nuevo Ricos? with a total lack of class, manners and education. (Gente de mal gusto)

- Some elements of DYC bring crime to DR.

Any comments on this issue are greatly appreciated

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Lets not even talk about the elite class, they rarely appear in places where most people frequent. Now lets talk about middle class vs. dom york chopos.

Like you have mentioned that poor class domincians don't really mind dom york chopos thats because dom yorks are really poor class barrio chopos from DR. They are all one and the same. The poor uneducated folks migrate to NY and then pick up the bad habbits from existing Puerto rican trash and poor blacks in NYC ghettos. They then begin to dress and act like Hip Hop crew. When they return to DR they are worshiped by the poor youngsters. The educated dom yorks are also originally from the ghettos of DR but just because they have a little education, they learn to dress clean but you would notice that they will blend a tint of thug flavor in their outlook to spoil everything. The college educated dom yorks try hard to free themselves from the thug hiphop style but every time yankee daddy comes up with a new single, all their efforts go to hell.

The middle class dominicans who live in DR don't want to be associated with the dom york trashy style. these people work hard to make a living that would keep them away from ghettos. They usually go to universities and make education their top priorities. They are usually from complete families ex: living with mom and dad. They often go to church and are law obiding citizens. they dress casually but in good taste. The will not be seen wearing shorts and T shirts to public places. Many upper middle class folks have nice cars and live in comfortable houses. They also travel to USA frequently. They are the onces who are seen spending money in bars/restaurants and stores. The real driving force in Dr economy. They pay their electric, water and cable bills on time. They are the ones who work hard in DR and make the country move ahead.

Middle class dominicans are very friendly and hospitable. They are the ones who will help you when you are in a jam.

Ok, I am done talking.
AZB

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Very astute AZB. I think you summed it up very well.

Anyone that disputes what you say above has absolutely know idea how this country works, is a chopo "puro" or doesn't live here.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
AZB said:
Lets not even talk about the elite class, they rarely appear in places where most people frequent. Now lets talk about middle class vs. dom york chopos.

Like you have mentioned that poor class domincians don't really mind dom york chopos thats because dom yorks are really poor class barrio chopos from DR. They are all one and the same. The poor uneducated folks migrate to NY and then pick up the bad habbits from existing Puerto rican trash and poor blacks in NYC ghettos. They then begin to dress and act like Hip Hop crew. When they return to DR they are worshiped by the poor youngsters. The educated dom yorks are also originally from the ghettos of DR but just because they have a little education, they learn to dress clean but you would notice that they will blend a tint of thug flavor in their outlook to spoil everything. The college educated dom yorks try hard to free themselves from the thug hiphop style but every time yankee daddy comes up with a new single, all their efforts go to hell.

The middle class dominicans who live in DR don't want to be associated with the dom york trashy style. these people work hard to make a living that would keep them away from ghettos. They usually go to universities and make education their top priorities. They are usually from complete families ex: living with mom and dad. They often go to church and are law obiding citizens. they dress casually but in good taste. The will not be seen wearing shorts and T shirts to public places. Many upper middle class folks have nice cars and live in comfortable houses. They also travel to USA frequently. They are the onces who are seen spending money in bars/restaurants and stores. The real driving force in Dr economy. They pay their electric, water and cable bills on time. They are the ones who work hard in DR and make the country move ahead.

Middle class dominicans are very friendly and hospitable. They are the ones who will help you when you are in a jam.

Ok, I am done talking.
AZB
Wow!

AZB, I have to say, you know this country so well that at any given time, you could be thought of as a Dominican, or should I say a Dominican with class.

Pakistani? Where??? :classic: :classic:

It's good to see "non-Dominicans" seeing this country for what it truly is as oppose to seeing this country under the rose colored glasses they wish to see it.

Good Job!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Not bad!!

Like you would say: "that was so cool that now I will start calling you CULO".

Nice. Nice indeed.

From a Dom York Chopo (me) to you: nicely said. LOL.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
pure genius

A Pakistani and a Brit have us (Dominicans) all figured out. What's next for you fellas? Eradicating world hunger? ;)

All I can say, you defined every low class person in any culture, country or group. You could have exchanged the names and put in other groups and got the same response.

Barrio Chopos
Poor white trailer trash/redneck rebel flag carryin'
Black Ghetto project livin'...blah blha
RastaJamerican weed smoken.
PuertoRican trash whatever
All the same.

Either case they are stereotypes.

I wouldn't say dressing hip hop is trash, but many here you would say different. Nor would I associate Thug living with hip hop. Thugs are thugs who choose to dress hip hop and if hip hop wasn't around, they still would be thugs tryin' to bust heads. I dress hip hop when I'm not working, but i'm educated, an awsome salary and a nice home but I don't think trashy and lowclass. If you go into your suburban well-to-do neighborhoods today, every kid, white, black hispanic and well educated are dressing "hip hop".
Thats is the style of the times as was bell bottoms, tough skins and hippy long hair, that has nothing to do with being ghetto or low class.

Being Trash is a mind-set not a manner of dress or where you live.

What do you label a homeless person and their way of dress. Are they trashy low class, or are they just poor and down on their luck or made bad decisions in his life.

I wouldn't say all Dom Yor are like that, but if thats your stereotype, so be it.

Allthough you make good points, your association of dress, class, and mindset are misconstrude and not logical at all.

Calling it astute? Could such an opinion get published in a book and be accepted as a well researched opinion. Social scientist would eat it up and spit it out. I think most of you, "if you are educated" would say the same.

Sorry, not jumpin' on that bandwagon.

Last edited:

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
contasm said:
I would like to take certain comments made in ?Looking for the real thing? thread and start a new one.
http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=319855#post319855

I?m referring to DR middle class living in DR.

Indeed, it is the middle class that is largely affected by the presence of DYCs. The upper classes rarely have contact with DYC?s or simply do not frequent places where DYCs gather. I have not heard many negative remarks from people in the lower classes toward DYCs

Is there certain resentfulness toward DYCs in DR?

Possible reasons :

- The middle class feels diluted or ?watered down? or ?classed down? when DYCs try to penetrate this group.

- Members of the middle class are afraid of been identified as a DYCs

- DYCs give the international community a wrong idea of what majority of Dominican are.

- DYCs ?parade? goods that, although symbols of middle class, are hard to obtain but are obtained through hard work. (Jewelry, designer clothing etc.).

- DYCs are perceived as ?Nuevo Ricos? with a total lack of class, manners and education. (Gente de mal gusto)

- Some elements of DYC bring crime to DR.

Any comments on this issue are greatly appreciated

I don't want to make any stereotypes because I have not been here all that long but all of the DYCs that I have come in contact with have been deported from the states for rape, drugs or murder. I don't think those are issues that anyone wants to be too close to except for the people who are involved in illegal activities themselves.

And if this is yet another stereotype then I'm sorry it seems like these people were ALWAYS trying to mooch money off me. I don't understand why they are always "broke" because they all have jobs at Americall.

I don't like to go to Central Park anymore because each time I do, I get overwhelmed by all of their vulgarness. Ordinarily, I would tell someone being disgusting to go F themselves but when I am outnumbered 10 to 1, I try to do the smart thing and ignore them.

Has anyone else had a problem with them? I call them the DPs but I guess most people refer to them as DYCs. I just always assume that is someone would rape or kill someone in cold blood in the US then they would have no qualms about doing it again here. Yikes.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
A different view.

Could it also be that due to their ways of throwing money like water, the DYC outbid the middle class, making things financially harder for them, thus the resentment. In the 80's and 90's the chickens came home to roost and began buying properties, building fortresses and setting up businesses. They began driving better and bigger cars. They pay higher bribes to the police and other government officials. They drove up prices.

See, not long ago you could see run down cars parked in the driveway of the middle class, you could also see them living in small concrete house on a big lot. They could do no wrong in the eye of the police. Basically, they walked on water. Not anymore. The DYC changed that and now the middle class, indirectly, are forced to spend money out of fear of being taken over by the chopos.

I know of middle class people, who has been in a jam (financially) and has had to ask a DMC for money.

My two cents.

May 31, 2005
I'm getting confused with all of the DMCs, DYCs and DPs.
OK, I understand that DYC is Dominican York chopos.
What are the DMS and DPs?

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
contasm said:

Well, they are ,above all, New Yorkers. Who would want hang around those people.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Dragonfly32837 said:
What are the DMS and DPs?

I thought that a "DP" was a "displaced person" as in the European refugees who came to America following WWII, but I don't know how they would fit into a discussion of Dominican Yorks.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
sancochojoe said:
All I can say, you defined every low class person in any culture, country or group. You could have exchanged the names and put in other groups and got the same response.
If you go into your suburban well-to-do neighborhoods today, every kid, white, black hispanic and well educated are dressing "hip hop". Thats is the style of the times as was bell bottoms, tough skins and hippy long hair, that has nothing to do with being ghetto or low class.

Being Trash is a mind-set not a manner of dress or where you live.

Agree 100%.

Let's just say that when I visit my family in DR, my teenage boys do not change their style of dressing, they wear the same things they wear here in New Jersey. My older son's hair is longer than mine; and I have never heard my family say anything negative, or get all discombobulated over their outfits or their long hair. They have the intelligence to know that they are just being young and following the style of the times. Actually, all of our friends' children in DR dress pretty much the same way (within reason, of course) The differece being that these kids are usually well behaved, and are part of a tight community. Noone will judge these kids, but the poor, uneducated, as usual, get the short-end of the stick.

May 31, 2005
Chris_NJ said:
I thought that a "DP" was a "displaced person" as in the European refugees who came to America following WWII, but I don't know how they would fit into a discussion of Dominican Yorks.
OK thanks. It makes a little sense.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
sancochojoe said:
Calling it astute? Could such an opinion get published in a book and be excepted as a well researched opinion. Social scientist would eat it up and spit it out. I think most of you, "if you are educated" would say the same.

As your not a social scientist, then I guess you better just chew on it and swallow.

I'll leave the "if you are educated" comment alone.

Now lets have one of those happy board moments where we embrace and say "your so great"...

My names Robert, I may not be educated, but I know how to herd cats.

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If it's possible, I think Both Joe and Aftab are partially correct. I live in a small affuent town in Ontario, and there are lots of white kids dressed as Allan Iverson/50 Cents....etc, with the crotch of their pants near their angles. My oldest boy dressed like that until he was about 15, then started dress GQ. Now Jose, my stepson trys to look like a hiphop artist(Dom York). Doesn't bother me in the least, as long as he's honest and clean, but it sure bothers his mother; she thinks he looks like a gangsta.When he goes back to Jarabacoa he makes sure he has all his giant teeshirts and basketball jerseys and six pairs of basketball shoes. He was really torqued this years because I went through his closet and brought out all the shoe's he has been hiding from his mom(so he can get new ones) She finally clued in, and now he had give all those almost brand new basketball shoes to his cousins and friends in the DR.
And as Abz says you are judged my your appearance and behavior both negatively and positively. Sterotyping is everywhere. I've been in the military for 27 years and we(the military) are always sterotyped.

Last edited:
Robert said:
As your not a social scientist, then I guess you better just chew on it and swallow.

I'll leave the "if you are educated" comment alone.

Now lets have one of those happy board moments where we embrace and say "your so great"...

My names Robert, I may not be educated, but I know how to heard cats.

Is that all you have to say. I think I made my point.

One of my bests friends is a Senior Scientist for a fortune 500 company who makes well in the 6 figures. He has the privilage to works from home but dresses hip hop 95% of the time. He tells me when he does come to the office for informal staff meetings, how often people in the Metro(subway) move away from him or howwoman clutch their purse when he approaches, but they are basing it on two things. His clothes and color.

Many of you are driven by the same perception which drives your fears and stereotypes about people not like you, hince these bazaar conclusions. Then when you get a round of applause for making these comments, everyone thinks its true.

Incredible. (head shaking)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
sancochojoe said:
Is that all you have to say. I think I made my point.

Yep, you think your right in making your point.

Now can we have the cats dressed in hip hop clothes to the left and all others move to the right.

Next...

Status
Not open for further replies.