DR1 Daily News Article regarding robbery..

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Gold especially in quantity is not necessarily easy to convert to cash quickly. Your 1 ounce coin or bar is valued too high to be usable for most daily transactions and still receive adequate change. Profit on gold holdings is subject to capital gains or similar taxes in many places. Significant gold purchases often need to be recorded by law.

Gold can be a good investment and I might even go so far as to say a decent part of one's portfolio or on hand holdings but it doesn't make for a very good cash equivalent in an emergency or for purchases unless the price to buy was negotiated in gold, which doesn't happen too often. 1 ounce silver coins or bars make for a more feasible unit of exchange if you can find someone willing to accept them.

There should be no problem squirreling precious metals away in a safety deposit box, provided you declare them on your taxes as required and the Italian Job crew doesn't walk off with it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Warren Buffett on gold - 2 days ago

discussing a $10,000 investment in the '40s-----------------------------------------------------------------------

While Buffett invested his cash in Cities Service preferred stock, he said if he’d had $10,000 to invest and had bought the equivalent of an S&P 500 index fund (index funds didn’t exist in those days) that $10,000 would be worth $51 million today. Investing in gold, by contrast, would have yielded significantly less. However, Buffett admits an investor would still have the very same gold to do “whatever you want with it.”

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Warren Buffett on gold - 2 days ago

discussing a $10,000 investment in the '40s-----------------------------------------------------------------------

While Buffett invested his cash in Cities Service preferred stock, he said if he’d had $10,000 to invest and had bought the equivalent of an S&P 500 index fund (index funds didn’t exist in those days) that $10,000 would be worth $51 million today. Investing in gold, by contrast, would have yielded significantly less. However, Buffett admits an investor would still have the very same gold to do “whatever you want with it.”
Gold is more of a hedge in a portfolio.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
The article states that the maid was held up and forced to open the door. I am curious to know if she was being was followed for a few days. As i stated before, these folks are lucky that they were not killed.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
they usually do right WW.

we always hear of these inside jobs.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
people near me were moving....leaving the country.

Bill was $10,000.

Mover said I'll be by tomorrow morning at 8am to pick it up (note... banks aren't open then)

That night, someone broke in while the couple was out eating and stole the $10K and the passports.

I know, I know.... who would leave $10K alone ?? They did.

No $$ , no Passport... no exit flight.

Triple trouble.

Some crooks are smart
I bet the mover has done this before