Drinking street water - interesting results

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
So, after reading a lot more about water purification, I've decided to try making tea and coffee from tap water, but leaving the kettle boiling for at least a minute. Given that I've tested the water and there are supposedly no bacteria, I think this should be safe. I've also ordered 150 testing strips so that I can repeat the tests regularly and will report back. I know that CAASD did shut down our water for a day to replace the pipes in the street a few months ago, so I may just be lucky and live in a block which has a relatively clean supply.

I've decided to stick to bottled water for cold drinks, so I'm only using tap water when it gets boiled.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
So, after reading a lot more about water purification, I've decided to try making tea and coffee from tap water, but leaving the kettle boiling for at least a minute. Given that I've tested the water and there are supposedly no bacteria, I think this should be safe. I've also ordered 150 testing strips so that I can repeat the tests regularly and will report back. I know that CAASD did shut down our water for a day to replace the pipes in the street a few months ago, so I may just be lucky and live in a block which has a relatively clean supply.

I've decided to stick to bottled water for cold drinks, so I'm only using tap water when it gets boiled.

My question is, why take the chance with your health? We're only speaking of a few pesos here or there.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Puts me in mind of several years ago passing a colmado on Calle Dr Rosen in Sosua where a five-gallon jug had fallen off the truck and ruptured. The guys were salvaging the water by pouring it into an empty carboy. One of them was using his hands to make a funnel so as not to waste any of this precious commodity. Charming!

wbr

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Any gastroenterologist will tell you " don't drink the water" it is also an irritant if you have diverticulitis. Why risk it is correct.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Any gastroenterologist will tell you " don't drink the water" it is also an irritant if you have diverticulitis. Why risk it is correct.

I have said several times that I want to install a boiling water tap. That's the only reason that I am interested in drinking tap water, a boiling water tap only works with mains water. I also said that I don't think I would use the street water to serve cold, I would only consider using it if boiled. This has nothing to do with saving money.

My other reason is that, having run a scientific test which shows that the water is OK to drink, and having the annoucement from CAASD that it is safe to drink, I am wondering "why not".

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013

Before doing this, read a little more about Nitrate Nitrogen in water and its affects on babies, young children, and pregnant women. I say this simply because the analysis report you posted shows it at maximum allowable and water contaminants have a way of fluctuating. Other then this one thing, I see no reason why you should not move forward with your plans although I'd place a 1 micron melt blown polypropylene pre filter and .5 micron carbon block filter in front of it as cheap insurance.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Who gave you this weird Test Results ?

I've just bought an apartment in a tower, and I wanted to install a boiling water tap (faucet). But this only works when connected to the mains water supply, not with bottled water. I read on the CAASD website that they say that in Greater Santo Domingo the water from the tap is perfectly drinkable, and has been for three years. Obviously I didn't believe this, so I sent off to the US for a Complete Water Analysis Test Kit, and have run a complete test on the water. The results are below. It appears that the water coming out of my tap would pretty much meet EPA standards, so would be acceptable in the US. I'm just not sure if I am prepared to risk it and start to drink it, and I would welcome comments from anyone who can help interpret these results.

Results:

Bacteria: None (EPA acceptable level is None)
Total Chlorine: 4 ppm (EPA acceptable level is 4ppm or under)
Nitrate Nitrogen: 10 ppm (EPA acceptable level is 10 ppm or under)
Nitrite Nitrogen: 0 ppm (EPA acceptable level is 1 ppm or under)
Copper: 0ppm (EPA acceptable level is under 1.3 ppm)
Lead: Negative (EPA acceptable level is negative)
Iron: 0ppm (EPA acceptable level is Under 0.3ppm)
pH: 8 (EPA acceptable level if 6.5 to 8.5)
Hardness: 200 ppm (EPA acceptable level is under 50ppm, but this does not affect health)

There is no Test in the Market that tests all Bacteria !!! In a Standard Microbiological Test, the most common Bacteria's are listed individually. And there is no such a thing as 0 (ZERO) Bacteria's. Even Coli or Salmonella have a min. Value that is permuted in Tap Drinking Water. (Not in Mineral water). If you really want to know; send a sample to Lab. Aguavivas and get reliable results.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013

There is no Test in the Market that tests all Bacteria !!! In a Standard Microbiological Test, the most common Bacteria's are listed individually. And there is no such a thing as 0 (ZERO) Bacteria's. Even Coli or Salmonella have a min. Value that is permuted in Tap Drinking Water. (Not in Mineral water). If you really want to know; send a sample to Lab. Aguavivas and get reliable results.

I bought a water testing kit from Amazon in the US. The bacteria test was a vial that came pre-filled with a powder. You had to add an exact amount of water and shake it vigorously for 20 seconds, then leave it for 48 hours. It is negative if it's purple, and positive if yellow. The results sheet said you should not drink water if the test came out yellow. I assume it therefore tests for acceptable or unacceptable levels of harmful bacteria in the water.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I assume it therefore tests for acceptable or unacceptable levels of harmful bacteria in the water.

Had an old sergeant tell me once don't assume, that has the possibility of making an a$$ out of you and me (ass u me)

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I think in this case, I bought a water testing kit which tests for harmful bacteria in drinking water and tells you if the water meets EPA standards. I don't think it's an unrealistic assumption to think that the kit tests for acceptable and unacceptable levels of bacteria in water.