driving from Punta Cana to Samana...

carsey700

Dec 5, 2003
thanks andy a

I guess my only option would be the people ferry ? if so how safe is sabana de la mar for leaving a car over night as we would like to overnight it on the peninsula and I guess cab it from there .
How are the roads from juan dolio to sabana either by P.C. or straight north through S.F. de Macoris ? Thanks again .

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Carsey, The route is from Juan Dolio to San Pedro de Macoris to Hato Mayor to Sabana de la Mar, between 2 and 3 hrs. I don't know the condition of the roads but I imagine they are passable. The ferry leaves Sabana de la Mar at 8 and 11am and then again at 3 and 5pm.

I don't know about how safe it is to leave the car in Sabana de la Mar. Personally, I would hire a taxi to make the run or fly by private charter to Samana's Arroyo Barril Airport or the el Portillo airstrip near Las Terrenas and take a taxi from there to your hotel. I would also schedule a trip of more than one night as you will spend a good bit of the time traveling.

If you will PM me (click the "PM" button on the left below this post to send a message direct to me) and send me your email address, I will advise you further about this.

oldhippy

Jul 22, 2002
"I would like to know if the ferry from Samana de la Mar is in operation , approx. cost , and can you drive from Juan Dolio north
or through Punta Cana / Bavaro ?"

...Do note!...the ferry from sabana de la mar is a passenger and motorcycle ferry only!

If driving to Samana..follow the directions found in this post!

You can access everything south of SDLM thru Higuey....

oldhippy

Jul 22, 2002
Bizarre..I answer a post at the end, of what turns out to be only page 1...then find out it has already been answered ages ago, on this...the end of page 2!