Driving in DR

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
CG-LT said:
I thought last post quite real time. If you drive here, be aware allways, someone mentioned that to drive here you will need the reflexes of a fly,,, very well stated ! Regarding an accident and jail, I was told that if in case of the later that you as the conductor have the right to demand to be taken to a "CASA DU CONDUCTOR" ??. it's still the police station but much better than a cell,,. It costs a few dollars but much more pleasant,,, anybody out there heard of this ?? if true, very nice too know. Thank You for any input and enjoy the rest of the evening.
CG

Only in Santo Domingo as far as I'm aware.
I have used "CASA DU CONDUCTOR" after an accident, it's excellent.
Very professional and great facilities. Only jail here without bars :)

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Robert said:
Only in Santo Domingo as far as I'm aware.
I have used "CASA DU CONDUCTOR" after an accident, it's excellent.
Very professional and great facilities. Only jail here without bars :)
>
I know it's late and I have no intetion of driving anywhere. But, what's the secret word (in case) to get to the "casa du conductor". I suppose it depends on where and when you are,,, when your there. I have heard that some one that was blasted brod-side by a moto in Nagua and requested Casa du Conduntor and was taken to San Fran S. he spent the day but the food and T.V. were great.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
"Jail by any other name is still a jail"

I do agree with Robert that travelling on your own or with friends is a great way to see the country. That nb101858 poster told it like it is. I guess a lot depends on your capacity to handle stress and the above-mentioned realities.

Regarding "La Casa del Conductor" , I think that there are a few of them, Santiago, SFM, Sto Dgo,and ???? Probably major provincial capitols.

Be safe, above all.

HB:D:D:D

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
Been there, would not do that. I am honest about my driving skills. Not up to DR standards (i.e. I think about driving rules. Daughter of a cop, don't ya know). If you have any doubts about your driving skills (and put the testosterone aside), hire a driver. With all due respect to Robert, he has lived in the DR for quite a while and is probably indoctrinated into the DR mentality of driving. For a first time visitor, no matter what your previous experience, I think it would be advisable to hire a driver. There are of course exceptions, but I think it is unwise to encourage first time visitors to drive there.

Rose

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
rmary said:
Been there, would not do that. I am honest about my driving skills. Not up to DR standards (i.e. I think about driving rules. Daughter of a cop, don't ya know). If you have any doubts about your driving skills (and put the testosterone aside), hire a driver. With all due respect to Robert, he has lived in the DR for quite a while and is probably indoctrinated into the DR mentality of driving. For a first time visitor, no matter what your previous experience, I think it would be advisable to hire a driver. There are of course exceptions, but I think it is unwise to encourage first time visitors to drive there.
Very sound advice.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Just a reminder... always keep photocopies of "Matricula", drivers lic. and insurance in the car, also be sure to carry the phone # of your insurance agent & of course your cel phone.... Happy driving, like I've had over 20 years in the DR! Canadian Bob.

johnny C

Sep 15, 2004
The thing that all my Uncles have told me about their trips to the USA is that they are amazed how everyone in the US stops and goes one at a time at four way stop signs. The exact opposite is what you can expect to see at many intersections in the DR. As a matter of fact at night I'd advise stopping at every intersection regardless of the color of the light.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
canadian bob said:
Just a reminder... always keep photocopies of "Matricula", drivers lic. and insurance in the car, also be sure to carry the phone # of your insurance agent & of course your cel phone.... Happy driving, like I've had over 20 years in the DR! Canadian Bob.

I would NOT keep a copy of the "matricula" in the car. If they steal the car then they have the registration and can always say that it is their car. Keep that on you person rather then in the car

Bob K

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Yea

johnny C said:
The thing that all my Uncles have told me about their trips to the USA is that they are amazed how everyone in the US stops and goes one at a time at four way stop signs. The exact opposite is what you can expect to see at many intersections in the DR. As a matter of fact at night I'd advise stopping at every intersection regardless of the color of the light.

Yea and whats really crazy is the traffic keeps moving! instead of a huge Tampon where you can blow your horn while nothing moves, God this works so much better. Think it might have something to do with respect for traffic laws? and whats more the cops do it 2 and even better nobody goes down the 1way street the wrong way!!

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
bienamor said:
Yea and whats really crazy is the traffic keeps moving! instead of a huge Tampon where you can blow your horn while nothing moves, God this works so much better. Think it might have something to do with respect for traffic laws? and whats more the cops do it 2 and even better nobody goes down the 1way street the wrong way!!

I think you meant to say "tapon"...but I could be wrong.

;)

Scandall

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
:(( Damn 'm'

Scandall said:
I think you meant to say "tapon"...but I could be wrong.

;)

Scandall

correct, no M but kind of works as a cork

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I just returned from trip #11 since 10/2004, and have driven in the DR each time.

One thing is for sure: do NOT drive there if you want to drive like you do in Suburbia USA. No way. It is NOT for the polite, safe drivers from middle America, where everyone follows the rules, gosh darn it...

You have to drive somewhat like a Dominican, but not the crazy Dominicans (like the ones that, while you're patiently waiting to make a left turn in traffic, will pass on your right, turn in front of you to make THEIR left turn ahead of YOU.

"Defensive driving" takes a whole new dimension in the DR. Traffic rules really don't apply, and certainly not enforced. 3 lanes of traffic? No prob! Just stack cars 5 lanes across. A car length for each 10mph for proper safe spacing? Just means room for more cars and motos to cut in front of you. Hi-beams in your eyes at night? That's a symbol of politeness. You absolutely, positively need to have your head on a swivel every second you are behind the wheel of a vehicle there, Big Time. Driniking and driving in the DR? Totally irresponsible and moronic, much more so than about anywhere else in the world. My friend tried that stunt in the mountain road between PoP and Santiago, and ended up in a ditch in the middle of nowhere...and had to be towed to the airport police station in STI, with $RD12,000 damage: detached plastic body panels, busted fenders, and broken transaxle linkage. Not a good vacation thing.

The traffic patterns there actually ~work~. You just have to adopt the proper Dominican Driving Zen to *feel* it, like corpusles in an artery.

I'm more concerned of getting screwed by the rental car company there than being at fault in a bad accident there. I've had suspension failures from potholes, busted windshields by rocks, flat tires, failed water pumps, headlights busted by rocks, etc., etc., etc. I fixed the windshield myself cheaper than the rental company would have charged me.

One caution: in the DR, while driving, PAY ATTENTION AND DRIVE!!! No sight seeing. My friends and I usually alternate driving so we can enjoy the sights while NOT driving. Getting distracted can be hazardous.

Enjoy driving in the DR. Just forget about everything you were taught in Drivers Ed.