driving licence

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
there is no such thing as a international drivers license that is issued in the U.S.A

The UN once upon a time came up with the concept, and private companies got into it and sell them on the internet. They are easy to get, but useless. Google it.

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
not that it makes a difference to me but according to B Stucman and associates
First question is does the Dominican Republic honor an International License? According to The International Automobile Driver?s Club, and The International Driver?s Document the answer is yes. Apparently, this is based on the country being part of the United Nations. The UN set up an international document that establishes the right for a person to drive in another country. It has to be accompanied by a valid driver?s license in your original country.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
The UN once upon a time came up with the concept, and private companies got into it and sell them on the internet. They are easy to get, but useless. Google it.

exactly, they can issue anything they want : a medical license , law license, however its a meaningless document

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
exactly, they can issue anything they want : a medical license , law license, however its a meaningless document

You can get a college degree for $480. a Master's for a bit more and even a PHD Check out Thunderwoods University.com!

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
thunderwood college is free. That's where my dog got his degree

Yes I was aware of that, just listing options. 4 years ago I applied for a job teaching in Guatemala, and was told I was hired if I could come up with a college degree. The school needed it in order to get my work permit. They referred me to several 'work experience degree colleges" on the internet, suggesting I get one. My recollections are that their prices started at $480, if I wanted it dated today, and more if I chose a date in the past and more if I wanted a 4.0 average etc... I declined. The school assured me that they would know, but the Guatemala authorities would not, but thanks anyway! For a job that paid $300.00 USD a week? Make it $800.00 a week and maybe so!
Der Fish

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The test is straight forward and pretty easy to pass. As mentioned it is a set of animated video clips. On a computer screen you watch a blue/red car make an illegal turn, a correct turn, park too far from the curb, drive too fast etc. You are asked in Spanish if what the driver did was one of six key phrases (sorry I have forgotten most of them). Is prohibited, an infraction, would result in a ticket, is correct etc. No complicated sentences to process. You can replay each question at least once. You will know if what the driver did was correct or not correct from experience. You just need to determine if the question is saying that what you saw was ok or not.

The course being offered by the "helpers" outside the driving office is pretty useless. Offer some guy a smaller amount for just the six key words that you need to listen for (call it the abridged course), they'll know what you are asking for. The screen test here, is common sense for anyone who has ever taken a written test back home.

Remember it is prohibited to beep your horn at livestock standing in the middle of the road.

When you get to the practical driving test part. If you take that test in a vehicle with a manual transmission, you will receive an unrestricted license. If you take the test in an automatic, your license will be limited to automatic vehicles. You will be asked which type of vehicle you want to take the test in.

The test will be in Spanish.

There is something about being able to get a "translator" to assist, but it must be requested and arranged in advance I believe. That may only be available in Santo Domingo. I do not know the details. Best to have someone call them and find out about that part.

PS: There is a test you need to take to get the learner's permit (In Spanish also).

I took the test for the learner's permit today in Santiago and it was ridiculously easy. It's done on a computer and it looks like a video game and it shows different scenarios like a driver almost hitting a pedestrian, or a driver running a red light and then it asks if what the driver did was legal or not. I speak, read and write Spanish fluently but I could have passed it even if I didn't.

AAIS

Feb 24, 2016
www.abreuimmigration.com
How to Obtain a Dominican Driver's License

You are allowed to have a translator assist you take the exam. The person you choose to translate must request authorization to be your translator. You can obtain said authorization at the DGTT office on the same day (only takes about 10 minutes to get authorization). This person can then translate the questions on the video test.

Caution should be taken with this test because the questions asked are not merely, ?is the act right or wrong.? Some questions ask, ?can the driver of x car get a fine for the act.?

All questions have either a YES or NO answer. The test is comprised of 20 questions. You need to get at least 15 questions right in order to pass the test. Not everyone taking the exam has the same questions or questions may be in a different order from other test takers.

After you pass the test you will obtain a Driver?s Permit. 46 days later you can perform the steps needed to obtain the Dominican Driver?s License.

Please note that if your embassy validates your foreign driver?s license that the exam in not required. As mentioned in prior posts the US embassy does not validate drivers? licenses.