Drowning in Cabarete

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
If a person is in need of rescue in Sosua bay they do not have even basic swim skills or are really intoxicated. There are no rips, no sudden drop offs and no deaths by drowning. Cabarete is irresponsible in not dealing with the yearly drownings.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Everytime things go wrong here and someone dies either in the ocean, on the roads or in some other violent manner, there is a call for more security of one form or another.
But, as others have pointed out, you cant have it all. You want to come live in a developing country where the lifestyle is cheap and you can get away with things you'd never get away with in your home country, but then you want security, be it lifeguards, traffic police etc etc.
I understand that its human nature to want it all but it just doesn't work like that.
You want security, live in the `West`, you want a cheap `paradise` then here you are....but you cant have both I'm sorry to say

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If a person is in need of rescue in Sosua bay they do not have even basic swim skills or are really intoxicated. There are no rips, no sudden drop offs and no deaths by drowning. Cabarete is irresponsible in not dealing with the yearly drownings.

I have yet to see a beach here with life guards. Perhaps someday that will change, but I don't expect it will. This is not a nanny state where everything is made safe and secure. Personal responsibility is a requirement here.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
This is not a nanny state where everything is made safe and secure. Personal responsibility is a requirement here

That says it all and about lots of things in the DR. But surely signs warning of the rips and pointers as to where they might occur would be good. Some people are making a pile of money out of this ideal location for wind sports--could they not invest a little of it in safety?

wbr

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have yet to see a beach here with life guards. Perhaps someday that will change, but I don't expect it will. This is not a nanny state where everything is made safe and secure. Personal responsibility is a requirement here.

Don't know about north coast, but our beaches west of SD have them during Semana Santa. And all the hotels in SD do too AFAIK. They all have to have Red Cross certification. 

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
semana santa is another animal. public beaches have dozens of lifeguards, ambulance staff and volunteers during that time.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
semana santa is another animal. public beaches have dozens of lifeguards, ambulance staff and volunteers during that time.

Which begs the question.......Where do they find all these qualified lifeguards each year?  What are they doing the rest of the year?? 

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
This is not a nanny state where everything is made safe and secure. Personal responsibility is a requirement here

I'm fine with no lifeguards. I suspect they only give people a false sense of security anyways.

However, I definitely feel for the drowning victims that unwittingly endanger themselves because they think the ocean is just like wading in a fresh water lake. The currents, breakers, and sneaker waves can give a strong swimmer a challenge at times.

The problem is how to give tourists the information they need to play safe. If they want to commit suicide after that, I'm cool with it.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Exactly. In most cases it's the tourists that drown. In a country that depends financially on tourism the DR abrogades it's responsibility to protect tourists even in a minimal fashion and this goes beyond just the beaches. The north coast oceanside is a hidden danger that needlessly kills unsuspecting tourists.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Which begs the question.......Where do they find all these qualified lifeguards each year?  What are they doing the rest of the year?? 

no one said they are particularly qualified. most of the people who look after vacationers during semana santa are defensa civil, military or police. outside of volunteering they have regular jobs.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Last edited:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Was on the beach yesterday, and their was a drowning around 3:00 PM. A couple swam out to far, the girl (foreigners) got back but her boyfriend disappeared. He just arrived (was from Hungary, from what I understand). The beach was in a little chaos but I left at 5:30 and still no body. The riptides were bad yesterday. 

I still don't understand why their is no life-guard station on that beach, with all the action and people in the water. 

single travel

Sad but not smart. How many Cuba Libres made that decision.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
It seems when someone dies the negatives come spewing out. A person drowned while rescuing his girlfriend. A human being has drowned who was an active member of the community working for the non- profit Vagamundo and a waitperson at Natura. Please have some compassion and empathy about his loss rather than jumping to conclusions.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
RIP, looks like a young guy, what a way to loose your life....

Just checked the exact location, I have swam there many times, never noticed strong currents, or big dangerous waves even on choppy days. The large/long reef a few hundred meters out usually protects that beach pretty well.

The water was very dangerous there on the day he drowned. A huge rip from what i hear.
I kite surf there regularly and can tell you that its a dangerous spot.

And for those suggesting he was drunk...get a grip. That's pointless and unpleasant speculation, as well as, as far as i know, completely untrue

lesia787

Jan 16, 2010
RIP

It may sound naive, but about getting the information to the tourists. Why the air companies flying to the beach destinations don't have a small leaflet with the currents dangers pictures as people are posting on FB right now. People are getting bored in the planes, as a rule it is a long flight, they could have a reminder along with the magazines in the front seat. I know that people need to do some research themselves but still they could have a warning before having a vacation fun.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
RIP

It may sound naive, but about getting the information to the tourists. Why the air companies flying to the beach destinations don't have a small leaflet with the currents dangers pictures as people are posting on FB right now. People are getting bored in the planes, as a rule it is a long flight, they could have a reminder along with the magazines in the front seat. I know that people need to do some research themselves but still they could have a warning before having a vacation fun.
If they were to make a leaflet to warn of the dangers while on holidays here, where does it stop! You could die from RIP Tide, or just walking down the street by robbers/thugs, a break in, on the back of moto taxi. Or you could be detained for the day or more because when you return to the shore after swimming by the Immigration police because you didn't have your passport, return flight docs with you! This decline in safety for tourism will eventually be felt on the bottom line

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I say put very clear and precise warning signs and leave it like that. No signs at all to me is irresponsible.