Dutch newlyweds die in the DR

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I agree, very mysterious. In the event that they ate something outside of the hotel, wouldn't others [locals, etc] have eaten it too? Don't you think someone would have noticed if others died mysteriously at the same time that they did? If I remember correctly, she got ill first, then he did.

PS. Merged with original thread

Donnad722

Mar 22, 2016
Dutch newly weds die in the DR

Thank you ...except in those two dutch papers I can see no reference to what one would think is quite sensational news ..Anyway ,it is very very sad and quite unfair to the families to speculate as to the cause of death

This is of course very sad. I can just imagine what the families are going through right now.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Not necessarily. The toxicology panel being run would need to include a test for the specific toxin or a grouping of toxins with similar characteristics. Larger labs would have the ability and the equipment to screen for more and less common potential toxins but these might not be included in their regular panel. These would have to be a special request based on some sort of reasonable belief or a wider search for something that doesn't show up otherwise.

I have no idea what bizarre toxins can be detected in DR labs if someone was interested in spending the extra money to go looking.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Since no one else got sick, I don't see how it could possibly be food poisoning.

they might have been the only ones to ingest a certain item. honeymoon, newlyweds, romantic meal for two or a special treat to share.

it must be a strain on a family not to know, i'm sorry to hear that tests carried back in europe did not bring the final answer.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I thought in the original report it said they went to Saona island and ate fish, so I suppose it could be ciguatera poisoning. But you rarely die from that.

Matilda

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
they might have been the only ones to ingest a certain item. honeymoon, newlyweds, romantic meal for two or a special treat to share.

it must be a strain on a family not to know, i'm sorry to hear that tests carried back in europe did not bring the final answer.

The article I read said the autopsy results were given to the family but the family has not commented on what the results were(?). Seems strange to me.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
The article I read said the autopsy results were given to the family but the family has not commented on what the results were(?). Seems strange to me.

Google translation:
The survivors of the wedding couple Michou and Jeroen Venema are outraged by the press release issued by the police and the Public Prosecutor's Office today. The newly married Voorburg couple who died suddenly in June during a honeymoon in the Dominican Republic, have become victims of food poisoning or bacterial contamination, told OM.

"This has not been discussed with us," says Edwin de Graaf, brother of Michou. "We have great doubts about the research done so far and the conclusions that are attached to it. As a Michou family we find that much more research has to take place and at least a second opinion is needed about the cause of death. "
https://www.telegraaf.nl/nieuws/824905/nabestaanden-overleden-bruidspaar-michou-en-jeroen-verbolgen

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Saw the program yesterday, a bit lame. Visiting the hotel in Bayahibe, Isla Saona, forensic office in Santo Domingo and the head office of the hotel chain in SD. Conclusion of the reporter is that if it was food poisoning it likely happened in the tapas bar of the hotel and not on the Saona trip. Dominican results say food poisoning, Dutch results say bacteriological infection. One expert says you can certainly die from that kind of food poisoning, another says you can hardly die as a healthy adult, let alone both. 

Confirmed by Dominican authorities that there was NO drugs in play as insinuated in the beginning. 

Most likely what happened was that they got sick from something they ate and here they tried to play it down / cover it up to not hurt tourism.