Eager to Share Insights on Dominican Republic Real Estate!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2024
Punta Cana
I'm Pamela Nunez from Canablue Real Estate, in Punta Cana where we're passionate about fostering discussions on real estate in the Dominican Republic.
I'm here to connect with fellow members, learn from your experiences, and contribute to the community's shared wisdom.

Feel free to reach out if you have questions or just want to chat. Looking forward to engaging with you all!

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I'm Pamela Nunez from Canablue Real Estate, in Punta Cana where we're passionate about fostering discussions on real estate in the Dominican Republic.
I'm here to connect with fellow members, learn from your experiences, and contribute to the community's shared wisdom.

Feel free to reach out if you have questions or just want to chat. Looking forward to engaging with you all!
You look so young to have been in this for long.
Careful with that word 'engage', many of us will rush out to buy you a ring ! :D

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

How many buyers in Punta Cana are expats looking to live full time in the DR?

How many buyers in Punta Cana are snowbirds looking to spend 3 to 6 months in the DR?

Jan 22, 2024
Punta Cana
How many buyers in Punta Cana are expats looking to live full time in the DR?

How many buyers in Punta Cana are snowbirds looking to spend 3 to 6 months in the DR?
Hey! Well I do not have that data, except my personal experience with the agency. I'd say 70% of our buyers are snowbirds looking to spend 3-6 months here, or invest while enjoying. 50% of these buyers buy with the intention of becoming an expat full time. (This is always exciting).

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

After 12 years (and counting) of living full-time in the country, I've not enough confidence in this country's kangaroo justice system to purchase property down here but I do admire your enthusiasm and I wish you all the best.

My advice to anyone looking to buy property in the DR would be to rent a place for at least 3 years in the same area you want settle down in prior to making the investment. You can thank me later.

Jan 22, 2024
Punta Cana
After 12 years (and counting) of living full-time in the country, I've not enough confidence in this country's kangaroo justice system to purchase property down here but I do admire your enthusiasm and I wish you all the best.

My advice to anyone looking to buy property in the DR would be to rent a place for at least 3 years in the same area you want settle down in prior to making the investment. You can thank me later.
Honest curiosity here: So what would you say about our justice system that prevents you from investing in our country?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hey! Well I do not have that data, except my personal experience with the agency. I'd say 70% of our buyers are snowbirds looking to spend 3-6 months here, or invest while enjoying. 50% of these buyers buy with the intention of becoming an expat full time. (This is always exciting).
Thank you, That provides some idea despite the small sample size.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Most people that live here know that most of our fellow countrymen could not live here.

The lack of infrastructure (Power is out right now in much of Cabarete because of stupidity) the lack of water, let alone the lack of potabale water.
Potable the DR? Where? Lucky to have water to clean with.

Then there is the dealings with morons at Migracion. I become a citizen to avoid those cretins.

Then we get to the very poor drivers with the worst education and accident rates in the region.

Then we get the people think it is OK to play there sound systems at 135 dB whenever they want to, motorcycles with the exhaust baffles removed and cars
with sound systems that cost more than the car.

The corrupt and deficient power company is tops on my list of bad things here. Followed closely by the water company.

Then we get to builders making promises they cannot keep, It looks like Casa Linda at Encuentro will be at least 2 years late in delivering to clients
that bought there. TWO YEARS LATE!

Then we get to the very corrupt legal system, the rampant influence of the drug running, and the expats themselves coming here
to hide from their crimes elsewhere.

And that list above is just off the top of my head. The DR is not for those will to adapt to all that and more. People can be isolated from this living in gated communities, but it is still best to rent before buy. And don't buy anything you cannot pay for in the morning and move into in the afternoon.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Pamela must live in the country of Punta Cana, I imagine.

The real DR world doesn't reach her.

Reactions: Bred and CristoRey

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Punta Cana is becoming Disneyland/Orlando with the entire focus on foreign tourists. And, over-run with Airbnb apartments. The real estate business is complicit in these (to my family) obnoxious and undesirable changes. They promote buying apartments to rent them out for short term stays. To the detriment of anyone who wants to live as a resident of the community. For these reasons, we recently sold our homes there that we and various family members lived in. We have invested in land to the north where we may or may not build a home. That was our intention but it looks like the same will happen there (Miches). [The government is spending substantial amounts of money to attract more than 10 million tourists a year. A whole different topic.]

I will also note that the real estate sales industry in the DR is unregulated. Hence, there are many inexperienced, unethical people in the business who like to call themselves real estate agents. And, since they have no experience or skills in the business, they are only able to push to buy the new projects and are incapable of finding a particular property that their clients may want.

We are currently living in La Romana where we have a house.

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Coincidentally I just ran across this. (I have already been offered substantially more to sell the land we bought a year ago.)

Status
Not open for further replies.