Earthquakes

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the general consensus was that wearing rose coloured glasses and chanting "Dios me proteger?" would make everything alright.

my SIL is an architect, she told me once that with earthquake of the magnitude 8 one has to pray for the best because the survival of the building is gonna be down to god/luck more than anything.

we are currently putting a roof over parking space and there is so much goddamn rebar you would not believe. columns, supporting beams down and up, metal mesh on the ground. fingers crossed it lasts.

JoshH

Feb 15, 2017
The underwater mountain sounds awesome but how often do you guys get earthquakes?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
perhaps Mike Fisherman can verify this but I am told there is an underwater mountain range out in the Atlantic, to the north, where you can step out of your boat into chest deep water.

Shallow in the middle of nowhere...........

It must be along that fault line.

It's not to the north, it's in the Mona Passage between the DR and PR, not far from Mona Island.

Speaking of earthquakes. we just had another shudder about 20 minutes ago. Anybody else feel it?

Sorry I'm a little late with this, I just woke up..

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The underwater mountain sounds awesome but how often do you guys get earthquakes?

The attached National Geographic image gives you an idea of the Puerto Rican trench to the north of the island which borders on the division between the Caribbean and North American tectonic plates. You can see the Bahamas and Turks and Caicos islands have been uplifted to the north of the plate division line and to the east of TCI there are some further underwater mountains just below the surface as WW mentioned.

http://www.nationalgeographic.org/maps/puerto-rico-trench/

To the south of the island is a smaller underwater mountain range also bordering and active fault line which accounts for numerous small recent earthquakes especially near the Mona passage. Maybe something historically larger that caused a hit on the capital hundreds of years ago?

But the most problematic faults historically in DR are the so called Septentrional sideways slipping fault which runs the length of the Cibao and into the Samana Bay, and the Enriquillo Garden fault line which runs from Azua through and beyond Haiti and was responsible for the Haiti earthquake of 2010. But DR is riddled with faults and receives some 1400 earthquakes annually Richter scale 3 or more and thankfully in recent times less than 6. If something of the magnitude of the 1946 earthquake which hit somewhere near Nagua on the North Coast occurs, much of the country will be severely impacted unfortunately.

But life goes on as it does in many earthquake active zones worldwide, such as California, Japan, Indonesia, Turkey, Italy, New Zealand and so on.

Diverse exciting living opportunities don't come easy.