Easter Dinner...

Apr 7, 2014
So who is doing what for Easter dinner? What are you making and how many people are you expecting? Additionally how many uninvited guests are you expecting?

I was just told by someone that they dont do Easter dinner "here". I know that isnt true. I think she meant to say her family doesnt do Easter dinner(for whatever reasons they have).

I love Easter dinner(sans pork) and that would be the only reason I pass on a plate, unless it had that potato salad with the beets in it(who thought that atrocity up?).

I know these people expect our food choices and shopping budget to be more imaginative than theirs so I d guess any of you that are cooking in your own home would be expecting a plethora of guests this afternoon/tonite.

Apr 7, 2014
i like the freeloaders that come and get a plate then criticize the plate "no me gustan ese" I m like "you re a damn lie. you know you aint ever ate food this delicious in your life. There is nothing a boiled plantain and a plate of plain white rice got on this."

What I do like are the "saben bien rico" people who love the food and then try to copy it in their own house to disastrous results because they try to incorporate their own cooking ability or experience into the new dish.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
We are having Jamon with guandoles (sp), white rice, boiled plantain and potatoe salad with beets (delicious).

And the freeloaders (extended family) are always a given.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
For my family, Easter dinner looks a lot like Thanksgiving: there's usually a bird involved, a "honey baked" ham, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green beans, collards, Big Mama's Mac and Cheese, and cornbread or texas toast.

Terrible for the body, but amazing for the spirit. Whatever you're having (and whoever you're having it with), enjoy and Happy Easter!

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
When a kid, our treat was McDonald's and the current in movie. So I am taking my son to dinner at City Island for seafood and then McDonald's for a sundae just to follow tradition. Then Furious 7...........

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my family here does not do easter dinner and they have no such thing as freeloading family members who arrive unexpectedly at mealtimes in order to mooch off the table.

we normally eat alone but today we invited sister in law with her kiddo. there will be hamburgers.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
When a kid, our treat was McDonald's and the current in movie. So I am taking my son to dinner at City Island for seafood and then McDonald's for a sundae just to follow tradition. Then Furious 7...........

Enjoy, make sure you play Wiz Khailfa on the way!

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Observation from the Frontier!

Seeing that I had a house full of folks for the yearly Samana Santa Carnival in Cabral and have been feeding them day and night for a week I went simplistic for their " Easter Dinner ".

Did in a young goat off the finca a few days back and have had him slow roasting in a pit for awhile. Had the outside cooks do up a couple of large pots of Chen Chen and set it all up on a table. Told them " no more good plates and silverware " because they just leave it stacked in the sink waiting for someone else to wash. Paper plates and plastic forks and spoons. Styrofoam containers for them all to take some with them on the bus back to Santo Domingo.

After I got them off to Barahona and the buses I had the various house staff members who have spent a week cleaning up after everyone come in and split up all the leftovers. You would be surprised just how much a group of sobrinas and their amigas and novios can accumulate in a week. Multiple bags of half empty chips and jars of salsa, boxes of crackers, cheeses and the such. Also had a half a pot of Chen Chen left for them to take home to their families.

Ah, the peace and quite has returned at last. How I so enjoy having the house all to myself once again. Now off to the local pool hall for my daily 5pm one hour ritual of five ( 5 ) games of billiards and beers with the locals.

Had to be put this on hold for the holiday.

To All....may your Easter celebration be as you wish it to be.

kFrancisco de Cabral

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
SIL left, dragging the kid behind after it was peeled off my neck. now i need a drink.

Apr 7, 2014
For my family, Easter dinner looks a lot like Thanksgiving: there's usually a bird involved, a "honey baked" ham, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green beans, collards, Big Mama's Mac and Cheese, and cornbread or texas toast.

Terrible for the body, but amazing for the spirit. Whatever you're having (and whoever you're having it with), enjoy and Happy Easter!

Thats what im talking Bout...
But kFrancis takes the cake for the win

Shame though...i hate wasting food.

Yodel Gruelsohn, Organ Meatmaster

Ron Anjero

Aug 8, 2013
Home made Spaghetti sauce on ( unfortunately) store bought spaghetti. Good Friday was home made pizza!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Dv8 isn't easter when in Poland they serve the bread with hardboiled eggs baked in?

polish tradition is that on saturday we prepare a small basket of goodies: bread, dry sausage, hard boiled eggs an a small lamb made of sugar. we take it to church where it gets blessed. then on sunday, before breakfast, this food is shared. everyone takes a small piece and exchange blessings.
Święconka - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

poland is very rich is catholic easter traditions. i was surprised to see that in DR is really boils down to drinking and beach. yea,i know that some folks go to church but there really are no easter rituals.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It wasn't easy, but I finally found a whole leg of lamb at La Sirena on Luperon, imported from Australia. Being Italian, that's the traditional Easter centerpiece that I grew up with.

In years past, we were able to get local lamb, but this year we couldn't find any.

Had a delicious roast leg of lamb, with all the fixin's. I did do whipped mashed potatoes, because Dominicans have no clue what to do with a baked potato. I remember the first time Mr. AE's youngest brother ate with us in NY - he looked suspiciously at the potato and asked "Con la cascara??", as if we were trying to poison him.

No freeloaders. Maid was off for 4 days, by last night I was pooped!!!!

The dogs were in heaven chomping on the bones yesterday, and this morning we mixed their dry dog food with the leftover container of natural gravy with bits of the lamb in it. Every piece of meat was eaten at dinner, none leftover - which is good, because lamb never tastes right the next day.

Oh! And there was an Italian lady selling homemake Italian cookies and pastries on our beach yesterday, when Mr. AE saw them[and her] he was shocked. He said he automatically spoke to her in English, but she didn't understand him. He bought me a nice selection :)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Most Dominican families gather around the table with the kids and open a 1/2 gallon of "Brugal" for all to enjoy!!!l

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
It wasn't easy, but I finally found a whole leg of lamb at La Sirena on Luperon, imported from Australia. Being Italian, that's the traditional Easter centerpiece that I grew up with.

In years past, we were able to get local lamb, but this year we couldn't find any.

Had a delicious roast leg of lamb, with all the fixin's. I did do whipped mashed potatoes, because Dominicans have no clue what to do with a baked potato. I remember the first time Mr. AE's youngest brother ate with us in NY - he looked suspiciously at the potato and asked "Con la cascara??", as if we were trying to poison him.

No freeloaders. Maid was off for 4 days, by last night I was pooped!!!!

The dogs were in heaven chomping on the bones yesterday, and this morning we mixed their dry dog food with the leftover container of natural gravy with bits of the lamb in it. Every piece of meat was eaten at dinner, none leftover - which is good, because lamb never tastes right the next day.

Oh! And there was an Italian lady selling homemake Italian cookies and pastries on our beach yesterday, when Mr. AE saw them[and her] he was shocked. He said he automatically spoke to her in English, but she didn't understand him. He bought me a nice selection :)

Tradition wise, roast leg of lamb is easter sunday lunch...... with mint sauce ( yeah, yeah, I know, but I like it....), potatoes roasted with the lamb,and lots of greens ( usally green beans and sprouts......).......

Where I beg to differ, is on the cold lamb leftovers.......delicious a day or 2 after in a sandwich with chutney, lots of chutney......

We had 20 odd or so people round on saturday lunch. Pollo guisado, platanos, tostones, lots of salad.......I HATE hosting.......
We also had 5 people from SD staying over days ( I hate it, I hate it, I hate it........). But they had the good grace to leave in a huff because I flatly refused to go to the beach on sunday........good f#$@ them !!!!
The funny thing is they pilled so many people into their car and busted the muffler on a bump on the way to the beach......so they have to stay an xtra day in their relatives shack in the campo.......revenge is sweeeeeeeet !!!!!!

Back on topic, I enjoyed the return to peace and quiet..... had an english fry up lazing by the pool ( fried eggs, bacon, sausage, french toast, fried potatoes......). And at night a home made pizza......
Not the typical easter food, but ah bliss !! the peace and quiet.......