Ebola and The Dominican Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Are you aware that we talking about Ebola, nearly 50 years later ?....

Afracaida, you and MA, perhaps due to my grammatical bungling, got the impression I was hitting on Haiti about HIV.

No. I'm demonstrating a proven infection route of epidemics from West Africa through Haiti to the rest of the Americas, and even to Europe with one strain. That was the HIV epidemic. Now comes Ebola.

If Haiti is a proven route of epidemic from West Africa, and it is (see the link), then the much more rapidly spread epidemic of Ebola poses a very clear danger to the DR, and one must reinspect one's ideas about the border and immigration.

Sorry if I stepped on a sore toe. Wasn't at all meant.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Afracaida, you and MA, perhaps due to my grammatical bungling, got the impression I was hitting on Haiti about HIV.

No. I'm demonstrating a proven infection route of epidemics from West Africa through Haiti to the rest of the Americas, and even to Europe with one strain. That was the HIV epidemic. Now comes Ebola.

If Haiti is a proven route of epidemic from West Africa, and it is (see the link), then the much more rapidly spread epidemic of Ebola poses a very clear danger to the DR, and one must reinspect one's ideas about the border and immigration.

Sorry if I stepped on a sore toe. Wasn't at all meant.

?? :rolleyes: ??

Did you hear the news, about Haitian citizens not being able to serve in the Ebola affected country ? (link posted in previous post).

It just looks to me that, in this case i.e. Ebola , the route will have to take some other forms.

Border and immigration is your concern, I understand. But that's a little besides the point, at the moment.

Last edited:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The Spanish Flu spread by American troops from Kansas killed 50 million people worldwide during WWI. Sometimes little can be done to prevent diseases from spreading.

I maintain that a lot can be done. The question is how much inconvenience and disruption are we prepared to endure to achieve the desired goal? Heck, we can't even convince these internet scholars to vaccinate their kids against mumps and the measles. Try telling someone who is on business in Hong Kong to delay their return home because they aren't feeling well? Try to tell a co-worker that they shouldn't have come to work because they are sniffling all over the copier...

We as individuals are the problem. We do not accept someone else telling us how poor our judgement is and maintain that we know what is best of us even when common sense clearly shows that not to be the case. Additionally we couldn't care less about the person sitting next to us on the plane or the bus. Cultures such as the DR with local "witch doctors" and superstitious beliefs surrounding disease are a futile exercise in the short term.

Aug 6, 2006
Spain was blamed for the Spanish influenza because Spain refused to get involved in WWI.

My experience is that officers at the War College are trained in paranoia. We had a Colonel on the faculty of my university that was convinced that Saddam was about to attack the US with weaponized anthrax and smallpox, Sarin and mustard gas, and dirty nuclear devices.

It is probably a good idea to tell these gung-ho types about possible threats, but perhaps not so intensely. They seem convinced that any enemy that might have a super weapon will actually have it and use it. The bad part is when they preach about all these dangers to the media.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I maintain that a lot can be done. The question is how much inconvenience and disruption are we prepared to endure to achieve the desired goal? Heck, we can't even convince these internet scholars to vaccinate their kids against mumps and the measles. Try telling someone who is on business in Hong Kong to delay their return home because they aren't feeling well? Try to tell a co-worker that they shouldn't have come to work because they are sniffling all over the copier...

We as individuals are the problem. We do not accept someone else telling us how poor our judgement is and maintain that we know what is best of us even when common sense clearly shows that not to be the case. Additionally we couldn't care less about the person sitting next to us on the plane or the bus. Cultures such as the DR with local "witch doctors" and superstitious beliefs surrounding disease are a futile exercise in the short term.

Sadly, true.

Dr. Nancy Snyderman, NBC Journalist, Issues Statement After Reportedly Breaking Ebola Quarantine

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
The Spanish Flu spread by American troops from Kansas killed 50 million people worldwide during WWI. Sometimes little can be done to prevent diseases from spreading.

Spread worldwide by all the troops. The death toll was relatively small in the US, because our population was/is relatively healthy. Viruses don't ca re about nationality or political ideology. Of course, I know you know that.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
There's nothing that can be done now about the Haiti/Dominican border. It is too porous
and extends for miles.(not just the check points) That needed to be done years ago.Now
with the ebola threat which is only a matter of time, what needs to be done is to start
educating the people ( the importance of hygiene) letting them know how it can be
transmitted and to prepare. The minister of health in the DR should be giving out
pamphlets to the public and informing them of the ebola virus.

It will reach the caribbean one way or another, no stopping it (US, Europe is proof) so what is important is to be prepared now before it gets there.

jkc

Jun 24, 2013

Did you hear the news, about Haitian citizens not being able to serve in the Ebola affected country ? (link posted in previous post).

It just looks to me that, in this case i.e. Ebola , the route will have to take some other forms.

Border and immigration is your concern, I understand. But that's a little besides the point, at the moment.

Border and immigration! These dudes are so narrow minded, sometimes you wonder what planet they are living in? Bro, the world is a GLOBALIZED, except maybe for your beloved DR where you are promoting: closing borders, immigration control and craps like that. Taht will not solve the problem. Otherwise, both the US and EU would have done it already. Because, it does not work that way. People carry viruses all the time, mostly from Asia! Not Africa, all the times, as some of you, wanted people to believe!
Bro, get grip! The world is one in terms of fighting viruses, diseases and it will stay like taht. if you want DR to become like North Korea, Good luck with that!

PS-Africaida, responding to the Op who was talking about immigration and borders!

Aug 6, 2006
Cholera has been around since the dawn of civilization, but it was quite rare in Haiti until some Nepalese UN troops brought it in. So I do not think that it is at all inevitable that Ebola will appear in Haiti.

It seems to have vanished since the outbreak in the Congo prior to reappearing many miles away on the Guinea coast (cuinea, Liberia, Sierra Leone).

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com

Indeed I heard the news. That was mentioned in my first post in the other thread as the reason for the post, i.e., Haiti has blocked NEW migrant workers. That was last week. Some are still to return.

And please, I'm not concerned about the border until now and on this issue. Any more stringency on the border and the DR economy may collapse without someone (Haitians) to do the work.

Please don't confuse me with anti-Haitian rhetoricians on DR1. I don't deserve it.

Last edited:

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I knew that sooner or later someone would try to match AIDS with Ebola ..the spread of AIDS is stopped by a cheap 39 peso condom ...nothing more . The spread is deliberate because of the Roman Catholic ban on condoms and also men are just too lazy . The truck drivers in East Africa spread it Africa like wild fire by having unprotected sex with girls at rest and refuelling places

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Ebola can also be contained very easily but the populations want to touch their dead and so on .. well let themdo that and die but do not let them travel and also make sure all aid workers go to an intermediate isolated place for two weeks before returing home

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
to DON P .obviously I cannot ...I suppose it is because it is in 3 countries ,excet for some isolated instances of health workers returning home and also because I have seen all these scare tactics before. Good measures will contain this soon to only the 3 countries mainly affected ..How you can stop people killing themselves there with their rituals I do not know

K-Mel

Apr 15, 2012

Not exactly because the two first AIDS epidemics of history were identified into the WASP homosexual communities of the USA : NYC (Manhattan) and San Francisco, in the late 70s and early 80s respectfully.The late Rock Hudson did not have a Haitian boyfriend as far as I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.