Ebola, DR Officials on alert

Status
Not open for further replies.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Well, I guess I won't have to get residency after all. I will surely die of Chicky or Ebola before they have a chance to deport me.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
If Ebola spreads to the DR it would devastate this country. Its a land where there is no soap,no hot water, people cannot read and write and the government is totally corrupt and ineffectual. For example my wifes mother lives near Santo Domingo and believes that Chickungunya is spread by contaminated ocean water. Where she got this idea I do not know. Wife tried to explain it to her to no avail.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
If Ebola spreads to the DR it would devastate this country. Its a land where there is no soap,no hot water, people cannot read and write and the government is totally corrupt and ineffectual. For example my wifes mother lives near Santo Domingo and believes that Chickungunya is spread by contaminated ocean water. Where she got this idea I do not know. Wife tried to explain it to her to no avail.

I have heard numerous people discuss this story about a contamination dump of bio hazard material in Haina sometime around the same time CHIKV appeared in April-2014. Don't rule out any of this as there has been numerous evidence of high lead levels in the blood and Haina has a long history of being the Dominican Chernobyl.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Dominican hospitals are not equipped to treat patients with Ebola

SANTO DOMINGO Former president of the Dominican Medical College, Waldo Ariel Suero, said today that the Dominican Republic does not have the infrastructure to deal with a possible outbreak of the Ebola virus, contrary to statements by the Ministry of Public Health. "This country is not prepared to meet an individual patient with Ebola, "said former president of the association that gathers doctors and insisted that they are given all the conditions for the disease that could impact our country.

Suero said that no hospital in the country has enabled special areas to treat patients with this disease, which must be completely isolated by the virus infectivity. Branded of "media pose" the statements of the Minister of Public Health, Freddy Hidalgo, the staff of epidemiology the state agency "is aware" of the eventual entry of Ebola virus in Dominican territory. "We are not prepared for this disease," he Serum after participating in the Third National Conference on Pediatrics Doctor Hugo R. Mendoza.

Hospitales dominicanos no est?n preparados para atender pacientes con ?bola - DiarioLibre.com

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Well, how about if they prepare NOW instead of later before it catches anyone by surprise.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
I have heard numerous people discuss this story about a contamination dump of bio hazard material in Haina sometime around the same time CHIKV appeared in April-2014. Don't rule out any of this as there has been numerous evidence of high lead levels in the blood and Haina has a long history of being the Dominican Chernobyl.

Note this part in the story here: "Health officials note that, at the present time, the spread of the disease has declined in the Greater Santo Domingo and San Cristobal, where the disease began."

Where the disease began. Where did "it" begin? It began in March-April in Haina and Nigua. I posted the article here dated May 1, 2014, in the CHIKV thread. You can look it up. What we know about Haina is that it is the Dominican Cherbobyl with a lead plant that released many pollutants. The fact that people keep discussing that there was a bio hazard release in Haina during this time is something that ought to be taken seriously and investigated to confirm that this is not a contributing factor (lead-Mercury poisoning) with similar symptoms to CHIKV.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Ebola would have to permeate the western world to make it to the D.R. and I can't see that happening.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Note this part in the story here: "Health officials note that, at the present time, the spread of the disease has declined in the Greater Santo Domingo and San Cristobal, where the disease began."

Where the disease began. Where did "it" begin? It began in March-April in Haina and Nigua. I posted the article here dated May 1, 2014, in the CHIKV thread. You can look it up. What we know about Haina is that it is the Dominican Cherbobyl with a lead plant that released many pollutants. The fact that people keep discussing that there was a bio hazard release in Haina during this time is something that ought to be taken seriously and investigated to confirm that this is not a contributing factor (lead-Mercury poisoning) with similar symptoms to CHIKV.

So, what are the chances that this lead mercury poisoning happens at roughly the same time there is another chikv outbreak in other parts of the Caribbean. Chikv started here in March 2014. Three months earlier it was spreading in St. Martin. What about the exported cases, that spread to the US and other countries? Or is lead poisoning contagious?!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Fortalecer la frontera es la ?nica defensa contra el ?bola para RD, seg?n presidente CMD - Acento - El m?s ?gil y moderno diario electr?nico de la Rep?blica Dominicana

Somehow this sounds like an attempt to inflame sentiments ... especially in light of the legalization of the statuses of residents of Haitian descent.

I thought the same thing.

This thread is about Ebola, not CHIKV, please keep on topic.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Oh boy, it looks like it could be inevitable in the DR. Let's hope they can begin
to take drastic measures, whatever that may be. I do not see how that can be
accomplished.:ermm:

Lawmaker urges more control against Ebola

Santo Domingo.- Deputy Vinicio Castillo on Thursday asked Public Health minister Freddy Hidalgo to include the border with Haiti among its measures to keep the Ebola virus out of the country, citing previous epidemics that arrived from there.

The minority FNP party lawmaker warned Haiti’s direct weekly flights to the African continent, source of the deadly disease, makes it necessary to include the border in the control measures, in addition to ports and airports.

He said both the chikungunya and cholera viruses that have hit the country in recent months come from Africa, and in the latter’s case, entered the Dominican Republic from Haiti.

He said he doesn’t want to create alarm, but to urge the authorities to adopt measures along the border and protect the Dominican population.

"I believe and there’s the precedent of the cholera which was in America or in the Caribbean came precisely through members of Minustah (UN peacekeepers) who brought it from Africa," Castillo said.

He said chikungunya also came via Martinique aboard direct contacts with flights to Africa, for which special preventive measures had to be taken on the border, “especially taking into account the number of flights."

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2014/8/8/52382/Lawmaker-urges-more-control-against-Ebola

Haiti does not have direct flights to Africa

http://www.wego.com/flights/ht/f/cheapest-flights-from-haiti-to-africa

I doubt that Martinique does either. Not enough traffic to warrant a route. Change planes in Paris.
And the chiky that is here is the Asian strain.. meaning that it is more likely that it came from.. Asia.

But it would not be a bad idea to build an isolation chamber in a hospital and equip an ambulance.

Or they could just shoot the patient. That would probably be faster and cheaper.

May 29, 2006
Ebola is not coming to the DR. It's been around for much longer than it was discovered, prob more than a 1000 years. The thing that has changed is people now have transport and clinics and hospitals can amplify the outbreaks. The DR is FAR ahead of Africa in basic sanitation and medical response. Many African hospitals have no running water, no disinfectants or even electricity.

It's better for the DR to be concerned with the disease issues they actually have than what has very little chance of ever reaching the country. Ebola outbreaks typically burn out in a month or so and as far as we know, the only natural source of the disease is in Africa and in some parts of Asia, where it only affects other primates. If a human strain of Ebola emerges that can be transmitted by casual contact, then it's time to worry. Ebola Reston can be transmitted through air, but it doesn't affect humans.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Or they could just shoot the patient. That would probably be faster and cheaper.

too much of a blood splatter. you don't want body fluids leaking out. but maybe bury them alive? no leakage and the patient is contained.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Fortalecer la frontera es la ?nica defensa contra el ?bola para RD, seg?n presidente CMD - Acento - El m?s ?gil y moderno diario electr?nico de la Rep?blica Dominicana

Somehow this sounds like an attempt to inflame sentiments ... especially in light of the legalization of the statuses of residents of Haitian descent.

This is a very ignorant and stupid comment, if I ever heard one. It is obvious that what they are just
trying to do is HOPEFULLY avoid this deadly disease from entering the country from ALL
possible entries. Seeing that through Haiti, cholera and malaria made its presence known
in the DR. Haiti has daily flights to Africa where students (from Africa who attend DR schools)
travel to and fro.

It is imperative that DR officials try and SEAL every possible ROUTE OF ENTRY simply because
the DR DOES NOT HAVE THE INFRASTRUCTURE, NO AREA FOR QUARANTINE in case someone
is infected.

Yes, everyone keep saying that Ebola will never reach the western world with so many daily
daily flights to Africa. CHIKV is here and it's proof enough that it can spread.

Dr. Pedro Sing: Ebola could enter from Haiti

The president of the Dominican Medical Association (CMD) Dr. Pedro Sing urged that more sanitary controls at the border with Haiti be established.

As reported in Acento.com.do, Dr. Sing said that the border with Haiti is the most vulnerable entry point for Ebola to enter the Dominican Republic. He stressed to the officials at the Ministry of Public Health that implementing control measures at land border crossing sites are more urgent than conducting screenings at airports and seaports.

"The sanitary controls at the land borders need to be strengthened. For example, how many Haitian students could have been in Africa or Europe where they may have visited family," he commented. He said that isolation units should be established to deal with suspected cases. Dr. Sing noted that these controls are not currently is place at the border.

Dr. Sing speculated that it is more likely that incidences of Ebola would first occur in Haiti, and from there the disease could enter the DR.

Dr. Sing called for the government to create a committee of public health experts and physicians to develop a national action plan to deal with a possible threat of Ebola and create a quarantine unit that would prevent the spread of the disease. He said the currently, the Dominican medical system is not prepared to deal with the disease.

Dr. Sing noted how chikungunya has spread throughout the country due to the weak institutional health prevention and treatment infrastructure. Chikungunya was first reported in the Caribbean in St. Martin in 2013 prior from coming to the DR.

He reminded the population that Ebola has a mortality rate of 90% and patients die of internal hemorraghing, kidney and heart failure. Symptoms of Ebola include high fever, joint paints, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Transmission is by body fluids.

The World Health Organization (WHO) today, 8 August 2014, called the outbreak of Ebola in West Africa an international emergency. WHO officials stress the alarming rate of the spread of the disease requires a massive, coordinated response across all national and international government and civil sectors.

Currently, the outbreak is affecting Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria, and Sierra Leone. These countries have reported 1,070 confirmed cases, and 436 "probable cases". WHO estimates that 932 deaths due to Ebola have been confirmed through 4 August 2014.

Source DR1 News

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Even though there may not be DIRECT FLIGHTS from Africa to Haiti, ebola has a long
incubation period of 21 days. So when passengers take CONNECTING flights it can easily find
its way to other countries.

With a mortality rate of 90% nobody wants to take any chances.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Even though there may not be DIRECT FLIGHTS from Africa to Haiti, ebola has a long
incubation period of 21 days. So when passengers take CONNECTING flights it can easily find
its way to other countries.

With a mortality rate of 90% nobody wants to take any chances.

No, right. There are no direct flights to Africa from Haiti. Probably some of the Haitian diaspora live in Africa. Most live in the United States, the Dominican Republic, then Canada, then France. I think that the idea that Ebola could come in from a person travling from Haiti implies that the Haitians are more likely to be traveling there because of some common African ancestry. The flight costs the annual wage of most Haitians and as far as I know, none of the Haitian elite have any connection with Africa (large investments, family names, etc), except Aristide, who lived in South Africa in exile and is now forbidden to leave the country.

There are direct flights into Africa from the United States, however. But even those are rare. Direct Flights to Africa From the US

Many of the flights into the affected region have been cancelled. Airlines cancel flights over Ebola worries - Aug. 6, 2014

All are being monitored.

Borders with the affected nations WHICH areSierra Leone, Liberia and Nigeria, are being closed.

Here is the map of the outbreak

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=...949863934429.0004c658eb30f9c4fb1c0&dg=feature

The DR does NOT have the fruit bat which is the animal resevoir for this virus so it cannot become endemic.

Folks get all upset over the news.

961 people have died so far in this outbreak.

Every day, 1400 children die from lack of safe drinking water but we do not get in an uproar over it.

We just get scared about perhaps our OWN death?

Face it, no one gets out of here alive.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
No, right. There are no direct flights to Africa from Haiti. Probably some of the Haitian diaspora live in Africa. Most live in the United States, the Dominican Republic, then Canada, then France. I think that the idea that Ebola could come in from a person travling from Haiti implies that the Haitians are more likely to be traveling there because of some common African ancestry. The flight costs the annual wage of most Haitians and as far as I know, none of the Haitian elite have any connection with Africa (large investments, family names, etc), except Aristide, who lived in South Africa in exile and is now forbidden to leave the country.

I agree. Just because Haitians look more obviously of African descent, how many actually go there. Sounds like pretty overt racism on the part of Dr Sing to me!

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012

There are direct flights into Africa from the United States, however. But even those are rare. Direct Flights to Africa From the US

Many of the flights into the affected region have been cancelled. Airlines cancel flights over Ebola worries - Aug. 6, 2014

All are being monitored.

Borders with the affected nations WHICH areSierra Leone, Liberia and Nigeria, are being closed.

Here is the map of the outbreak

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=...949863934429.0004c658eb30f9c4fb1c0&dg=feature

The DR does NOT have the fruit bat which is the animal resevoir for this virus so it cannot become endemic.

Folks get all upset over the news.

961 people have died so far in this outbreak.

Every day, 1400 children die from lack of safe drinking water but we do not get in an uproar over it.

We just get scared about perhaps our OWN death?

Face it, no one gets out of here alive.

MA, from one of the articles it says that cholera and malaria did come into the DR via
Haiti where it was discovered that one of the Minustah(soldiers) from Africa was the
carrier of one of them. And it does seem like these diseases are originating from
Africa.

Now what the DR government is doing is seeing it from ALL angles. First they said that seaports
and airports are on high alert but then someone else suggested that the border must be put on
high alert also, seeing as to how the previous diseases gained entry into the DR through Haiti.

In layman's term, while everyone is securing the front (airports, seaports) it could ALSO sneak
in through the back (Haiti crossing) if nothing is done about it.

If this was such the scenario in the US, you can bet everything, that the gov't would be taken
precautionary measures at the Mexican border also.

It has absolutely nothing to do with racism. All the DR gov't has to do is mention Haiti
and right away some cry out racism.

If these diseases originated in Africa, then how did it make it's way to Haiti?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.