education standards

Cheryl**

Jul 17, 2009
ha, ha minerva! And thanks for the link... Will have a peek now.

There's a motivation for everything we do- sankies included...

It'd be good to make a little difference, however small.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
One good free source of education for adults is INFOTEP, a government program with many classes on trades and continuing education. It is free to individuals as well as companies who wish to send their employees. I've used it often and had good results with the one in Santiago, with the casa matriz being in SDQ.

Cheryl**

Jul 17, 2009
great! Thanks! ... Do you have any contact details for INFOTEP as I cant find a website??

Also, I will be volunteering independantly, rather than as part of a company?

Also, I am starting an English language and linguistics degree to help me get a job in a private school and secure a living in the DR.... And so I am on limited budget. This is a big move for me- for personal financial reasons, but also as a 'sample' of living in DR in teaching pay, I'd like to volunteer for an organisation that provides basic living, etc that I would have to fund...

I am eager to make the move to the DR, and contribute to a part of the society that has so little support in comparison to the rich... But I do so cautiously as I do not have very much money and am also very much a 'newbie'.

Any suggestions with regards to this, would be greatly appreciated.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
The program in Cabarete that I mentioned in an earlier post is a partnership between INFOTEP and the Diocese of Puerto Plata.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Cheryl you might also look at doing something with the DREAM Project in Cabarete.
DominicanDream.org if I remeber correctly.
It is a wonderful organization. They teach something similar to Montessori education for underpriveledged children, it is a fully accredited 501-3c foundation, and Cabarete is a great place for young educated people looking to get a start. There are a myriad of religious-based and missionary people doing all kinds of things, and I appreciate their work, but for making a difference, DREAM is a cool entrance, with great people, a good program, in a bad neighborhood with lots of potential. Check it out. Your intentions are admirable. I hope you find the right spot for youself.

Cheryl**

Jul 17, 2009
tflea- I've found the website and thanks for your comments and suggestions. I'll definitely have a look at the DREAM project.

Profe 1- could you let me know when you have spoken to your director? I would like to eventually gain paid work teching children in a school but would prefer my volunteer work to focus on adults as I think there is a real need for support education and development here.

does anybody have any ideas on how much I will need to budget, to volunteer for next summer, for example from June- August/September? I've researched flights and know that from the UK, I would either have to pay for a scheduled flight or two chartered flights.... But there seems to be a great difference in charges for accommodation/ food? Just to remind you, I'll be student this year.

Many thanks,

Cheryl

Cheryl**

Jul 17, 2009
i've had a look at the DREAM project and I'm afraid there's absolutely no way I can afford to pay that amount of money to help them... Its $1800 for the summer programme and $12,000 for the year!! Ouch! I was thinking more along the lines of paying normal Dominican rent, etc. I've heard of a project in Munez, nr Puerto Plata that help uneducated children (particularly from Haiti)?? Here, you pay for your own flights, book to stay by the month and pay $169 per month incl. accom, elec and internet with a 20% reduction for volunteers donating 15-20 hrs per week or more? Does anybody know anything about them? Reputation and so on...?

cheryl

Cheryl**

Jul 17, 2009
i've had a look at the DREAM project and I'm afraid there's absolutely no way I can afford to pay that amount of money to help them... Its $1800 for the summer programme and $12,000 for the year!! Ouch! I was thinking more along the lines of paying normal Dominican rent, etc. I've heard of a project in Munez, nr Puerto Plata that help uneducated children (particularly from Haiti)?? Here, you pay for your own flights, book to stay by the month and pay $169 per month incl. accom, elec and internet with a 20% reduction for volunteers donating 15-20 hrs per week or more? Does anybody know anything about them? Reputation and so on...?

cheryl

Cheryl**

Jul 17, 2009
I've just checked the name of the above volunteer org, I was talking about and they're called "Suncamp DR", based in/nr Puerto Plata and have a website- does anybody know anything about them??

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I've just checked the name of the above volunteer org, I was talking about and they're called "Suncamp DR", based in/nr Puerto Plata and have a website- does anybody know anything about them??

You might want to do a search on DR1 about Diane Pellerin, Suncamp and Mu?oz.

Cheryl**

Jul 17, 2009
thanks for the 'heads up', Profe 1... I have made an informed and independent decision...

Oh dear, is it really so hard to volunteer on a tight budget??