El español dominicano

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
I studied in College and have travelled through many spanish speaking countries. I have taken many advance classes in the states. I guess I am not good at fill in the blanks. What does papa mean with an accent other than dad?

It’s a term of endearment in the context in which I used it:

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Watermelon= sandía….and it is definitely not a melon so in this case their correction is right. You will notice the people with low education as you say have a lot of bad grammar rather than wrong vocabulary. Keep in mind learning standard Spanish is a bonus for you because there are nineteen other countries in which Spanish is the official language. You never know your life could change and you will be around other Spanish speakers and not just hearing DR Spanish.

BTW it’s sandía = watermelon except for in Venezuela it’s patilla.
Patilla in the D.R. as well, especially older folks.

Reactions: AlterEgo

kenshireen

May 21, 2022
usa

I have seen that article before. So exactly what did your exercise say....was I pretty close

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

The way you used it, which is the way I've most commonly heard it used, I'd say most closely resembles "vato" in that list(used a lot by Mexicans) and "hermano", or "'mano" for short as in: "oye, 'mano" - commonly heard in Puerto Rico.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I have seen that article before. So exactly what did your exercise say....was I pretty close

The article example was showing you the context. There is not always a translation for words or terms used in one language to another. Think of it as friendly other than using your name, it’s a friendly way of addressing you or talking to you. Don’t overthink it.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
The way you used it, which is the way I've most commonly heard it used, I'd say most closely resembles "vato" in that list(used a lot by Mexicans) and "hermano", or "'mano" for short as in: "oye, 'mano" - commonly heard in Puerto Rico.

The way I used it is normal for cariño. I can’t comment on the Mexican equivalent as I don’t hear Mexican Spanish enough to be able to compare or at least with this example.

Reactions: cavok