Electric Cars in the DR

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
OK - I can see all the Dominican racers buying electric motorcyles then taking everything off of them to make them lighter and faster - probably take the battery out too. :LOL:

But seriuosly can you see the Dominicans buying electric then sitting for 3 hours while they get a charge.
Heck they can't even wait in the regular traffic lane - they have to pass on theshoulder to the right just to get 4 cars ahead - can you see them sit for hours charging - Not a chance in hell

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
OK - I can see all the Dominican racers buying electric motorcyles then taking everything off of them to make them lighter and faster - probably take the battery out too. :LOL:

But seriuosly can you see the Dominicans buying electric then sitting for 3 hours while they get a charge.
Heck they can't even wait in the regular traffic lane - they have to pass on theshoulder to the right just to get 4 cars ahead - can you see them sit for hours charging - Not a chance in hell
I had to make several trips in the past days to Puerto Plata from Cabarete. The ninnies trying to pass where ever they could were on display.

Consider the cities where cars line both sides of the street and virtually no one has off street parking let alone a garage. How will there ever be a way to charge electric cars in that situation?

Reactions: chico bill

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I had to make several trips in the past days to Puerto Plata from Cabarete. The ninnies trying to pass where ever they could were on display.

Consider the cities where cars line both sides of the street and virtually no one has off street parking let alone a garage. How will there ever be a way to charge electric cars in that situation?
It's a pipe dream here. Yeah there will be an odd handful buy them.
But since most cars here are imported used, I doubt that few dealers will want to risk importing used EVs and if you were in the market to buy would you gamble on a 5 year old EV?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
It's a pipe dream here. Yeah there will be an odd handful buy them.
But since most cars here are imported used, I doubt that few dealers will want to risk importing used EVs and if you were in the market to buy would you gamble on a 5 year old EV?
Considering each and every negative in the DR re; electric, used merchandise, thieves, no maintenance, limited knowledge of mechanics, financing, HOW would this idea get off the ground other than for the uber rich tree hugger. (and there are few tree huggers in the DR!)

Reactions: chico bill

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Considering each and every negative in the DR re; electric, used merchandise, thieves, no maintenance, limited knowledge of mechanics, financing, HOW would this idea get off the ground other than for the uber rich tree hugger. (and there are few tree huggers in the DR!)
It won't. And that is a good thing for the DR.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Interesting tour (in Spanish) of the Expo Feria Movilidad Sostenible 2023 which took place on June 2-4 in Santo Domingo. The guy flew in from Costa Rica simply to see this expo of electric vehicles.

IMG_1717.jpeg

Here is an interesting VW Beetle from the old days converted to electric.

The next couple of videos were made at the Go Electric stand at the Expo Feria Movilidad Sostenible 2023.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Lastly, a motorcycle club of just electric motorcycles.

LosSantanas954

Aug 26, 2023
San Diego USA
we've owned couple of electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles and we primarily charge from home. Unless we're taking a long road trip we dont really think about range anxiety, keep in mid this is now in the US.

One of the things we're on the fence about our DR retirement is what to do with our full electric vehicle(not concerned with the plug-in hybrid). We currently own a rivian rs1 and the lack of maintenance support is my #1 concern with taking the vehicle to DR, the second being shipping the vehicle and the battery dying on the trip over. There have been several rivian owners that have done this one or two were not so lucky once the vehicle arrived and not taking a charge.

I'm not too concerned with the charging if we get it over there as it wouldnt serve as our primary vehicle(ill be retired and wouldnt be driving around much) so we can keep it plugged in to a 120v outlet. If we do end up building or buying a home we would have to look at having an electrician run a 240v 60amp circuit to the car port area.

Reactions: zoey_kat
Jan 9, 2004
we've owned couple of electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles and we primarily charge from home. Unless we're taking a long road trip we dont really think about range anxiety, keep in mid this is now in the US.

One of the things we're on the fence about our DR retirement is what to do with our full electric vehicle(not concerned with the plug-in hybrid). We currently own a rivian rs1 and the lack of maintenance support is my #1 concern with taking the vehicle to DR, the second being shipping the vehicle and the battery dying on the trip over. There have been several rivian owners that have done this one or two were not so lucky once the vehicle arrived and not taking a charge.

I'm not too concerned with the charging if we get it over there as it wouldnt serve as our primary vehicle(ill be retired and wouldnt be driving around much) so we can keep it plugged in to a 120v outlet. If we do end up building or buying a home we would have to look at having an electrician run a 240v 60amp circuit to the car port area.

I have brought in over two dozen EV’s and not one experienced a dead battery(s).

That having been said I think you are right to second guess bringing the Rivian. A total lack of dealer support would be a prescription for disaster.

Come to think of it, I have never seen or even heard of any imported into the DR.

There are currently over 10,000 EV’s in the DR. A lot of them are Chinese.

Note the Chinese have yet to prove themselves either in ICE engines, hybrids, or electrics. I would use caution until they develop a track record.

Your idea regarding bringing a hybrid is sound. Too bad the DR does not offer the 50% tax reduction for hybrids.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I have brought in over two dozen EV’s and not one experienced a dead battery(s).

That having been said I think you are right to second guess bringing the Rivian. A total lack of dealer support would be a prescription for disaster.

Come to think of it, I have never seen or even heard of any imported into the DR.

Note the Chinese have yet to prove themselves either in ICE engines, hybrids, or electrics. I would use caution until they develop a track record.

Your idea regarding bringing a hybrid is sound. Too bad the DR does not offer the 50% tax reduction for hybrids.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
There's a new red Rivian driving around Sosua

LosSantanas954

Aug 26, 2023
San Diego USA

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
i did see someone has shipped one in

I also reached out to Charles Sanchez about shipping the rivian out there. He seems to be really knowledgeable regarding the shipping of EVs into the country and the tax/fee reductions. he did quote me a price, a lot les then i was imagining.

Jan 9, 2004
i did see someone has shipped one in

I also reached out to Charles Sanchez about shipping the rivian out there. He seems to be really knowledgeable regarding the shipping of EVs into the country and the tax/fee reductions. he did quote me a price, a lot les then i was imagining.

Some brave soul shipped one in then. I would be most concerned about having an expensive Marquesina ornament if it needed some service.

Charlie knows his EV’s. Also another Charlie….Charlie Hernandez……both are players in the EV space.

Good luck if you bring it with you. Perhaps by the time you are ready, there will be informal techs that can provide service. Parts would be the other major issue.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

LosSantanas954

Aug 26, 2023
San Diego USA
I would be most concerned about having an expensive Marquesina ornament if it needed some service.

Parts would be the other major issue.
2 very solid points. We've been contemplating just selling and purchasing something out there. We've had a couple of diesel vehicles and the MPG was pretty good, only issue was the sky rocketing price of diesel here in california. Hows the price of diesel now a days in the DR?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
2 very solid points. We've been contemplating just selling and purchasing something out there. We've had a couple of diesel vehicles and the MPG was pretty good, only issue was the sky rocketing price of diesel here in california. Hows the price of diesel now a days in the DR?
221.60 or about $3.95 a gallon.

If you check out the Dominicantoday website, they list fuel and exchange rates every day.

lasalsa

Apr 9, 2008
I'm so glad I bought the website solocarroselectricos.com along with several others in Spanish, back in 2016. I hope it's the next autotrader. LOL..

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How long could you be without your EV? Imagine this in the DR if the USofA already has this issue:

A Rivian in the DR? Forgetaboutit.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Buying this is for the "rich Dominicans" in the Capital to parade around in. Not for someone that needs it day to day to live...................

Reactions: PJT

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Buying this is for the "rich Dominicans" in the Capital to parade around in. Not for someone that needs it day to day to live...................
No doubt. Until they need it fixed. Then who are they going to call? Import a mechanic using their Lear Jet?

Reactions: SKY

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
No doubt. Until they need it fixed. Then who are they going to call? Import a mechanic using their Lear Jet?
What they do not think about now is when the future brings the time to replace the batteries, a replacement will be costly. You can speculate a trade in may be loss-making when depreciation includes the age of the battery.

Regards,

PJT

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Agreed PJT, mechanics that don't exist in the DR for short term issues and fixes, and the extreme costs it will take to replace a battery that will suffer the additional charges of having to be shipped in as needed.