electricity solution

Jos?45

Jun 1, 2005
Hillbilly said:
is related to the Vanderhorst that used to live on Bartolom? Col?n in Santiiago and was a huge ham radio operator???

If he is he has outstanding credentials. I would be surprised the country has managed to get him to work here...

this could be interesting.

HB:D:D:D

Yes, I am Abraham Vanderhorst son. I came back from Cornell in 1972 and have remained here since then. I have been proposing electricity solutions since 1996. You can get a good taste on the GMH blog.

A few days ago I thought that blogging was very similar to ham radio operation.

Jos?45

Jun 1, 2005
Jos?45 said:
Please check the site of the GMH at http://grupomillenium.blogspot.com/. Feel free to duplicate comments on DR1 and GMH.

I have found most of the comments on electricity solution very interesting.

Jos? Antonio Vanderhorst-Silverio, PhD
In(ter)dependent Consultant on Electricity
Organic Seed of the GMH.

PD: Anyone having trouble reaching the GMH blog please advise at javs@ieee.org. Thanks.

Jos?45

Jun 1, 2005
There have been Electricity Solutions from Time to Time

Under the title ?Dialogue vs Di?logo? I published a message on the GMH blog that says: ?This was the presentation I made on the Di?logo Nacional of 1998. Early in the morning I distributed copies of a version of my presentation. As it seem that it could be approved by the assembly, there was a quick action on the part of the capitalization proponents and then came to the place a group of defenders of the government model. The results of the vote was almost tied, but the capitalization won. My proposal was out so of epoch that I was called from Metaldom to introduce changes to it. Countries? progress should not be based on ?dialogos? that are really debates: one win and the other loses. Countries? progress result when only one person who is right in a large group has the opportunity to go beyond a debate, by means of a dialogue to show what is in the country interest. It is necessary to change the system for the benefit of society.

In response to my message, Mr. Armando Rodr?guez, Seaboard?s Generator Head, made a very important comment on the electricity solution. He wrote: Jos? Antonio, I have 16 years working with you and other Dominican and foreign professionals in the Dominican electric sector and I have witnessed the majority of your of your proposals, many are very interesting proposals which if they were acted on today?s situation would be different and the others were to point out why many of the decisions to be made were to fail.

This work that you have presented again curiously is an example of both since you make a very interesting and feasible proposal that constructively critizeces the decisions made at that moment.

I think that what has been missing in the country is trust in their own people and to be pragmatics in such a way as not to be guided necessarily by models that have worked in other countries without even evaluating the scenarios that might result from them under the conditions that the Dominican Republic has.

The translation might not reflect exactly the original.

Last edited:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Thanks for putting this here as I couldn't get into the blog..... still can't .

Jos?45

Jun 1, 2005
planner said:
Thanks for putting this here as I couldn't get into the blog..... still can't .

You are welcome.

Look also under Wind turbines, Forum Items #79 and #80

Google or search "vanderhorst-silverio" and you may find some of my work on the web. Look at least for the spring 2005 PLMA conference.

Last edited:

Jos?45

Jun 1, 2005
World Bank on Demand Response: Please Read Italics

This is an item on the GMH blog in english. PLease refer to my http://www.peaklma.com/files/public/Vanderhorst-Silverio.ppt

Energy Week 2005 took place in Washington, DC on March 14-16, 2005. It featured presentations and discussions with leading energy development practitioners and offered networking activities to participants from Governments, NGOs, consultants and World Bank Group staff.

The theme of Energy Week 2005 was Our Energy Future - ensuring affordable and reliable supplies of energy for the 21st century in developing countries is a prerequisite for economic development and poverty reduction. The program featured plenary and breakout sessions addressing the key developments that are shaping the future of energy supply and the kinds of energy services which will be available in developing countries in the future.

DAY 2 Morning Tuesday, March 15
11:00 ? 12:30 PARALLEL SESSIONS
Innovative DSM tools to help bridge the supply-demand investment gap -- Luiz Maurer,
World Bank (Moderator). Susan Covino, PJM Interconnection; Ahmad Faruqui, Charles River Associates; and Grayson Heffner, World Bank -- Recent power shortages and blackouts around the world have created renewed interest in using the demand side of electricity markets to avoid or ameliorate such crises. New approaches to demand response involving price and quantity rationing have been proposed and successfully tested in several developed countries. Unfortunately, the Bank's client countries are not fully harnessing the potential of demand response to make their power systems more reliable and to provide affordable electricity. This panel will share some of those experiences and will discuss how developing countries can potentially benefit from innovative demand-side management techniques.

tuxedodan

Sep 22, 2004
Electric bill is wayyy overpriced.

Does any have the numbers for the SUperintendent of Lights? I want to call and complain. I know this won't solve anything, but I can try. The electric company "checked" my meter and put it back. The next thing I know i'm getting a a 50+% increase in billss?!!! One bill is 8500, when I usually get 2500, more or less. When I am home for vacation, I get a bill for 800, more or less. NOw its 2000. Nothing changed, same appliaces and same people. What the hell? I went and complained and they send someone who just said that the meter is FINE. What the hell man? The people at the company looked at my history and noticed a patter, but chose not to do anything!!! This is the problem with the company, laziness. At least someone in the states, there is someone to always complain at. I wish the people at the company and do something. The rate is too low and yet the goods are still too high. I have friends who pay 1000 and they use wayyyyyy more electricity than me for sure. What is wrong with this country? First, its blackouts then its high electric bills! I pay 200usd at my house in the states, and we have lots of more things running, but i have an apt here!!! Don't get me wrong, I like the people and country. I just hate the stupidness and laziness, because those are things that tear down strong foundations. Thanks for listening me releasing my anger.

Jos?45

Jun 1, 2005
Retail Marketing and Choice

DR1 had a story yesterday on electricity market distortions that said "A report in Hoy newspaper?s economic section focuses on the distortion in the Dominican electricity market that rations the consumption of paying clients, while at the same time stimulates the consumption of those that do not pay, affecting the financial sustainability of the sector. The non-paying consumers are heavily subsidized by the government at a cost of approximately US$450 million a year, while those who pay are penalized with high tariffs and consistent increases." As you can see, you are not alone. If Dominicans knew how to complain like you, the problem could be solved very soon.

I strongly believe that the solution is choice: retail competition of the commercialization of electricity. The retailer is an intermediary that will replace two intermediaries: the superintendent (regulator) and the monopoly of distribution (commercialization). One of the interesting dilemmas is that the distribution (and commercialization) monopolies are broke, but the want to keep the monopoly of commercialization. AES, an American company that runs (they say the sold it) EdeEste should lead the campain towards choice. EdeNorte and EdeSur will follow, if there is a strong case pro choice, as the government is required to privatize them again. El Paso, Smith-Enron, Cogentrix, are American investors on generation that should be interested in an electricity service that works properly. However, it seems that some of them have strong vested interests against choice.

If the customer is not satisfied with a retailer, there will be other retailers that will fit with the client-customer. Retailers will purchase electricity from generators, and distributors will charge only tolls for their service. I think that the problem is that American companies think global and act global. If they were to think global and act local the results will be much different.

I suggest that you write to Mr. Kevin Manning, the President of AMCHAM, who is also a high executive of AES, on this matter.

tuxedodan said:
Does any have the numbers for the SUperintendent of Lights? I want to call and complain. I know this won't solve anything, but I can try. The electric company "checked" my meter and put it back. The next thing I know i'm getting a a 50+% increase in billss?!!! One bill is 8500, when I usually get 2500, more or less. When I am home for vacation, I get a bill for 800, more or less. NOw its 2000. Nothing changed, same appliaces and same people. What the hell? I went and complained and they send someone who just said that the meter is FINE. What the hell man? The people at the company looked at my history and noticed a patter, but chose not to do anything!!! This is the problem with the company, laziness. At least someone in the states, there is someone to always complain at. I wish the people at the company and do something. The rate is too low and yet the goods are still too high. I have friends who pay 1000 and they use wayyyyyy more electricity than me for sure. What is wrong with this country? First, its blackouts then its high electric bills! I pay 200usd at my house in the states, and we have lots of more things running, but i have an apt here!!! Don't get me wrong, I like the people and country. I just hate the stupidness and laziness, because those are things that tear down strong foundations. Thanks for listening me releasing my anger.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
No sea tonto!!

On my last trip y had a funny conversatin with la cocinera risue?a of a little parador somewhere inbetween Rio San Juan and Nagua... I mentioned my interest in coming to stay on her island someday and she asked me where to I was looking at and I mentioned Puerto Plata... She laught and just shook her head: "Ai NO!. Pero no sea tonto!. No se meta cerca de las ciudades... poque ahi le van hacer pagar la electricidad!" ("Oh no. Don't be stupid. Don't go close to the cities, they will make you pay for your electricity!). :D

Electricity seems to be a loosing business anyhow in this country, generating a good portion of the country's deficit. It's also, along with botteled gas a political issue that carries on from administration to administration... one could speculate that neither government nor opposition would really like to see the problem go away, because, what would they campaingn about on the next election.. almost like medicare and SS in the US.
You can't take cooking gas and energy for light and Bachatta boomboxes away from the PEOPLE. If you make the poor ones pay for it, it's like you're taking it away from them. Most are poor but they still have a vote on the next elections too... sooooo... get the picture?

The REAL problem with energy is not that of people not paying for it (well yes, it IS a porblem, but... ) . The porblem is that the DR is burning imported fuel on debt in old inadequate plants, thus driving the country further into debt and still not even supplying the country (I am not talking about some luxury condo) with the necesary energy at a reasonable price so that the economy (Eg: Industry) could at least profit from from the whole mess.
The DR will eventually have to reform his electricity production to renewable sources, producing more energy at a better rate.

... J-D.

Jos?45

Jun 1, 2005
J D Sauser said:
On my last trip y had a funny conversatin with la cocinera risue?a of a little parador somewhere inbetween Rio San Juan and Nagua... I mentioned my interest in coming to stay on her island someday and she asked me where to I was looking at and I mentioned Puerto Plata... She laught and just shook her head: "Ai NO!. Pero no sea tonto!. No se meta cerca de las ciudades... poque ahi le van hacer pagar la electricidad!" ("Oh no. Don't be stupid. Don't go close to the cities, they will make you pay for your electricity!). :D

Electricity seems to be a loosing business anyhow in this country, generating a good portion of the country's deficit. It's also, along with botteled gas a political issue that carries on from administration to administration... one could speculate that neither government nor opposition would really like to see the problem go away, because, what would they campaingn about on the next election.. almost like medicare and SS in the US.
You can't take cooking gas and energy for light and Bachatta boomboxes away from the PEOPLE. If you make the poor ones pay for it, it's like you're taking it away from them. Most are poor but they still have a vote on the next elections too... sooooo... get the picture?

The REAL problem with energy is not that of people not paying for it (well yes, it IS a porblem, but... ) . The porblem is that the DR is burning imported fuel on debt in old inadequate plants, thus driving the country further into debt and still not even supplying the country (I am not talking about some luxury condo) with the necesary energy at a reasonable price so that the economy (Eg: Industry) could at least profit from from the whole mess.
The DR will eventually have to reform his electricity production to renewable sources, producing more energy at a better rate.

... J-D.

J-D, Please go to "APAGONES can put this country upside down" on the Living Forum to get a better picture.