End of Temporary Protected Status could send 50,000 back to Haiti

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I'm lost, what does all this have to do with Haitians losing their Temporary protected status?

Can some fine person send me a message or alert when we return to discussing 50,000 Haitians being repatriated to their proper homeland, as the title suggests?

I suppose when they are sent back to Haiti. They have a little time to prepare.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
A lot of countries allow for people to take driving license exams in their native language. I have a Korean driver's license, and the exam I took was in English. But the policy is reciprocal: Koreans are allowed to take their exams in Korean in the United States. I also have had an international license. My sister has had Japanese and Taiwanese drivers licenses. My parents have had several European and Asian licenses as well. All of the paper work was in English.

I agree with your main point. The lack of an official language has left America balkanized. America was intended to be a melting pot, not a multicultural society . Multiracial perhaps, but with one culture. While each immigrant maintained some of its customs, they were subcultures of the American culture. Their children would assimilate and become Americans. But now, with mass migration, many no longer bother to assimilate, and that will lead inevitably to a breakdown crisis.

With regards to the Haitians, I can't imagine returnees would want to live in Haiti anymore after enjoying life in a first world country. They will definitely head east upon return.

This is sort of conversation.....

Is repatriation a good thing?
Is mass immigration (a la Pto Rico) good & conversely with mass deportation....

Does society accept the languages that accompany immigrants?

How many languages should a country offer - officially!??

I don't see it as waaay off track....

AnnaC.... look at Canada.... and answer the above

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
This is sort of conversation.....

Is repatriation a good thing?
Is mass immigration (a la Pto Rico) good & conversely with mass deportation....

Does society accept the languages that accompany immigrants?

How many languages should a country offer - officially!??

I don't see it as waaay off track....

AnnaC.... look at Canada.... and answer the above

Send 50,000 of them back to where they came from, as originally agreed to, and all of the above talking points become moot.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Officially for the ledger, I have nothing against Haitian people as a whole, but I do possess a deep aversion to the Haitian government and political process.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The world might be a bit 'Immigration Happy' about now....

Many people seeking refuge, many countries opening their arms...
Cultures differ, a host of problems.

The US , today, may not have the appetite for this.....
we'll see.

Some European nations are second guessing their immigration decisions.

Ticklish subject

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
As always, I await the moment when the Haitian government will begin supporting itself and providing for it's people nationwide. Time passes. Hundreds of billions of international dollars disappear, and they still stand here today stuck in neutral. I will await, but I will not hold my breath.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Officially for the ledger, I have nothing against Haitian people as a whole, but I do possess a deep aversion to the Haitian government and political process.
That's the case with most Dominicans. While the typical Dominican doesn't know why exactly, it's imbedded in the fact that it was precisely the Haitian government, its politicians, and its military that created many of the atrocities upon Dominicans in more than one occassion, all of them on Dominican soil.

The Haitians as a people often didn't agree with what their government was doing to the Dominicans during the invasions. At least, I have stumbled upon many comments in various articles from the mid to late 1800's where a distinction was made between the desire of the Haitian government to either subject the Dominicans by force or plainly exterminate the entire Dominican population and the overwhelming disapproval among the Haitian people of the infatuation their government had with their eastern neighbors.

In "Soulouque and His Empire," the author clearly says that the one thing the Haitian people wanted was for their government to leave the Dominicans alone. Alas, Soulouque and his men didn't care what his own people wanted regarding this, he insisted and went ahead with his invasions and with the promise that he was going to 'kill all Dominicans as if the hogs that they are' and where 'not even the chickens were going to be left alive.'

Thank God all his invasions failed miserably.

Last edited:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The world might be a bit 'Immigration Happy' about now....

Many people seeking refuge, many countries opening their arms...
Cultures differ, a host of problems.

The US , today, may not have the appetite for this.....
we'll see.

Some European nations are second guessing their immigration decisions.

Ticklish subject

William - I think it's beyond the second guessing. The writing is spray painted on the walls in Arabic - Europe's future is dim. If you loved visiting there, as I did in my youth, do it soon, because Europe is dying.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
You could call it French. I could not. It was so far from what I learned just 100 miles south of Montreal that it was unintelligible.

Winde, May I recommend to you two youtubes of Volaré. You know. That dean Martin song from the 1950’s. Watch one with lyrics.  If you already know the words in English you will 100% understand every word of dean martin’s Italian version. 

Then look for a Ed Sullivan episode with the original guy.  Nino something or other.  Again. Subtitled in formal Italian. You will not be able to keep up.  Same language. Just different. 

Nigerians speak in a natural iambic pentameter. Baianos from Salvador Brasil practically sing when they speak.  Dominicans shoot machine gun fire. 

When I lived in way northern Vermont there were people I could barely understand. I also met many people who spoke French until they went to public school. 

I often hear people say that Puerto Rican isn’t Spanish. Bollocks I say.  Pure bollocks. 

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I agree, and it chaps my ass to no end. IMO, its simply a crutch. I'm given to understand that here in FL, the test for a drivers liscense can be taken in spanish!!

THE road signs like exit, speed limit, yield, narrow, wide load are tested in Spanish sentences with those English words.  The study material is in Spanish.  And other languages as well. 

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Language Garble - #1

The popular song... Voulez vous couchez avec moi ?

Would you like /Will you sleep with me ? is the translation

But the words are in the formal word ,... 'vous' not 'tu'....
Ludicrous to speak like that unless talking to an older, well respected hooker and you are 13 yrs old
Even then - a maybe....