ESTA question

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Would a Dominican with a visitor visa for the UK be able to travel to the UK transiting the US under the ESTA scheme ?

Much easier to travel direct to the UK from Punta Cana. British Airways and TUI both have direct flights, although I'm not sure if you can book Tui from Punta Cana to Gatwick return. With BA you definitely can book a return.

If that's not an option, I would suggest flying with Iberia and transiting through Madrid. The Iberia flight from Santo Domingo arrives in the non-schengen area T4S and then UK flights depart from the same terminal, so you don't need to pass through immigration. The immigration guys always line the air bridge as soon as you get off the flight in Madrid and ask for visas or onward connection details, but provided you have a flight booked and checked luggage you should be OK to transit there. Obviously check carefully first.

If that's not an option, I would recommend you look at transiting through any third country where Dominicans don't need visas. i.e fly to Colombia and from there on to London.

I'd recommend those three in that order, and avoiding the US at all costs.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If that's not an option, I would recommend you look at transiting through any third country where Dominicans don't need visas. i.e fly to Colombia and from there on to London.

I'd recommend those three in that order, and avoiding the US at all costs.
I am not familiar with ANY country with the exception of the US that does not have secure transit with NO Visa check. You are in a locked terminal for your next flight. For example Panama. I went to Buenos Aires with my Dominican girlfriend through Panama a few times. You land and go to the next gate. Does not matter who you are or where you come from...........

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I am not familiar with ANY country with the exception of the US that does not have secure transit with NO Visa check. You are in a locked terminal for your next flight. For example Panama. I went to Buenos Aires with my Dominican girlfriend through Panama a few times. You land and go to the next gate. Does not matter who you are or where you come from...........

It's not so simple Sky. For example if you fly Aer Europa into Madrid and then connect to a British Airways flight to London then you have to transit landside and you need a visa. But Iberia to British you don't. Panama is the exception rather than the rule as all flights leave from the same terminal.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I always liked the setup in Panama.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I always liked the setup in Panama.
If you have not been there recently it is even much better than before. They built a new connected terminal for Copa there. Tons of great Duty Free stores, restaurants, etc. And there buying a decent amount of liquor you can ask for and get a discount on their already low prices.........

Reactions: Liberator

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
If you have not been there recently it is even much better than before. They built a new connected terminal for Copa there. Tons of great Duty Free stores, restaurants, etc. And there buying a decent amount of liquor you can ask for and get a discount on their already low prices.........

Unfortunately not relevant to the OPs question as there are no direct flights from Panama to the UK.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019

Seriously why would anyone go from Santo Domingo to Panama to Istanbul to London when there is a direct flight to London which leaves three times a week from Punta Cana?

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Would a Dominican with a visitor visa for the UK be able to travel to the UK transiting the US under the ESTA scheme ?
No. You should get her a Schengen visa as well. I'm Dominican, and a couple of years ago I went to London via Madrid. If she already has the Uk visa, the Schengen one will be easier to get. That will open more travel options for her.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
A Dominican can not travel under ESTA (visa waiver). The DR is not one of the ESTA countries.

I don’t get this discussion either. Esta is a visa waiver program for citizens of EU countries, UK and others like Australia/NZ.

Chismoso

Dec 31, 2022
Puerto Plata
No. You should get her a Schengen visa as well. I'm Dominican, and a couple of years ago I went to London via Madrid. If she already has the Uk visa, the Schengen one will be easier to get. That will open more travel options for her.
Thank you, could you advise on where and how to apply please ?