Exchange rate changes during Christmas/New Year - 8% more for my EUR than 2 weeks ago

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
I noticed that I got about 8% more for my EUR than 2 weeks ago. It usually happens this time of year. The effect of money transfers from Dominicans abroad or something else? Longer trend? Thoughts?

Jan 9, 2004
I noticed that I got about 8% more for my EUR than 2 weeks ago. It usually happens this time of year. The effect of money transfers from Dominicans abroad or something else? Longer trend? Thoughts?
For many years, the trend during the holidays was that the peso strengthened due to the flood of Xmas remittances from abroad.

That seems to have changed.......................and more interesting, at least to my clients, is the buy/sell spread for both Dollars and Euros has not been this wide for many years. Normally the spread hovers in the 1-1.5 peso difference. Right now it is closer to 2-2.5. While that might not seem a wide spread to most, when your clients are regularly changing large amounts........it adds up quickly.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: HDR

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
For many years, the trend during the holidays was that the peso strengthened due to the flood of Xmas remittances from abroad.

That seems to have changed.......................and more interesting, at least to my clients, is the buy/sell spread for both Dollars and Euros has not been this wide for many years. Normally the spread hovers in the 1-1.5 peso difference. Right now it is closer to 2-2.5. While that might not seem a wide spread to most, when your clients are regularly changing large amounts........it adds up quickly.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Very true, my message was unclear. But yes it is fluctuating this time of year, this time Peso down.... EUR/USD... 10% different on the world market, but yes USD is the currency to have here. Then the EUR has strengthened significantly the last 3 month vs USD, 5% or so I think

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
63.8 pesos for 1 € on my latest card payments a few days ago. No complaining here.
Especially since I do CHF to € to pesos.😁😁

• Wow
Reactions: cavok

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
Very true, my message was unclear. But yes it is fluctuating this time of year, this time Peso down.... EUR/USD... 10% different on the world market, but yes USD is the currency to have here. Then the EUR has strengthened significantly the last 3 month vs USD, 5% or so I think

Would you rather earn 10,000 € a month or 10,000 USD ?

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
I'd rather earn 10,000 BTC a month than 10,000 USD

So far you are free to bust your moves.
If governments restrict crypto currencies and what the regulations may be , remains to be seen.
Some people indeed made money.

I'm a simple minded person and see crypto as,
Criminal activities, money laundering and tax evasion.

Not up on crypto to DOP exchange rates.

Reactions: JD Jones

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
I'd rather earn 10,000 BTC a month than 10,000 USD.

Would you rather earn 10,000 € a month or 10,000 USD ?

ATM and this month for sure EUR! More money!! ;) And probably short term EUR. Long term, USD/GBP and some BTC. Not at all bullish on EU economy. My answer was only made for the question why the EUR/Peso USD/Peso has changed lately. Then the world has changed so much lately and that will probably continue so who knows:unsure:

This answer was for XQT...

Reactions: XQT

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
So far you are free to bust your moves.
If governments restrict crypto currencies and what the regulations may be , remains to be seen.
Some people indeed made money.

I'm a simple minded person and see crypto as,
Criminal activities, money laundering and tax evasion.

Not up on crypto to DOP exchange rates.
I don't own any BTC. Pretty easy to calculate the exchange rate. Multiply the number of USD you get for one BTC by 57;75, less exchange fees. They've been saying for a long time that someday BTC will be restricted.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
ATM and this month for sure EUR! More money!! ;) And probably short term EUR. Long term, USD/GBP and some BTC. Not at all bullish on EU economy. My answer was only made for the question why the EUR/Peso USD/Peso has changed lately. Then the world has changed so much lately and that will probably continue so who knows:unsure:

This answer was for XQT...
The USD/DOP has been going up, but not 10% in the last two weeks. It hasn't gone up 10% in the whole last year. The only thing I can think of is that the government has been stiffing the Europeans(?) Right now the Euro is worth about 10% more than the USD and you're getting about 10% more pesos for a Euro than a USD.

Reactions: HDR