Expats Victims of Theft

If you're an expat, have you been a victim of theft? (Read OP, then vote)

• Total voters

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have had my "HEART" stolen many times!
That was before I learned to play the "Game".
Same "Heart" since 1995.
I'm BIG,and "Ugly",so I think that keeps me safe.
CC

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
When I just moved to Juan Dolio found a guy at 1.30am in the yard after he had climbed the wall, chased him away with a machete. Twice they tried to hold me up in the city, first one they shot at me, didn't get nothing though, second one they ripped my chain off and after pulling a Rambo on them I got it back. I had lived 3,5 years in the DR. Now living in Panama for a total of 10 years, never anything has happened to me and I move around in the worst neighborhoods. Too bad the killed expats can not participate in the poll.

The poll doesn't add up. How can it be that 80% have had bad experiences and 40% hasn't?

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The poll doesn't add up. How can it be that 80% have had bad experiences and 40% hasn't?

I just checked who voted for what and some people voted for two items, you being one of those posters. Not sure how that happened, unless they cleared their cookies and re-voted?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Multiple choices were allowed. For me, more than one applied so I checked them off.

"cleared their cookies and re-voted". oh yeah, that would have been worth the time and effort :dead:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Multiple choices were allowed. For me, more than one applied so I checked them off.

"cleared their cookies and re-voted". oh yeah, that would have been worth the time and effort :dead:

Ok, that clears that up :)

Cookies... You'll be surprised what some people will do. hehehe

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
coming up to five years here , only had oranges stolen so far(so put down no on the form ) , but consider myself quite lucky

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
1. For how long have you been an expat in the Dominican Republic? 1.5 years
2. How many times has it happened? Twice
3. Do you think there's a good chance it will happen again? Not if I remember that some chicas are pickpockets!
4. Are you considering moving? If so, to another part of the country or abroad? No

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
Yes! We had our home broken into and our dog shot with two bullets to the throat.
1. Been in the DR for over a year, but coming here for over 21 years!
2. Just that once..
3. I don't think so, but one never knows.
4. We moved after it happened. We learned that if you live in an area with less people you are more likely to have been broken into. We had a huge block wall around the perimeter of the house. We heard them doing something but we NEVER thought it was our wall they were chizling away.. We heard them for weeks before they broke in. We were not at home. They got 2 ipod touches, and our dog's life. I wish they took everything and left the dog. They didn't have enough time to get more than that because the neighbors came running. Oh and it was pure daylight when it happened!!

For those that have been victims, explain:

1. For how long have you been an expat in the Dominican Republic?
2. How many times has it happened?
3. Do you think there's a good chance it will happen again?
4. Are you considering moving? If so, to another part of the country or abroad?

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
1. For how long have you been an expat in the Dominican Republic?47 years off and on. (I lived here permanantly from 1964 to 1970 and 1978 to 81, and 1993 to now. in-between those years, i spent the summers here--between Bonao and Santo Domingo with family.
2. How many times has it happened? none. zero.
3. Do you think there's a good chance it will happen again? It hasn't happened yet but, could happen this afternoon. it's still early.
4. Are you considering moving? If so, to another part of the country or abroad? No, my family is here...all 200 of them, including livestock, stray dogs, chickens, roosters, and donkeys.

I've never been robbed or attempted to be robbed. i work late night on the beach here in Cabarete. I take late night walks. i travel the island every week on a motorcycle on my days off. if the weather is good this wednesday, i will be traveling to Las Terrenas and Samana. Look for me, i drive a bright red CBR1000; i'll be thirsty and hungry. Please feed me!

Again, i've never been robbed, none of my family here has ever been robbed. However, they have had things stolen from their yards, the perimeter of their properties, farms, etc. but those are minor things and it might have been me while i was drunk. I don't remember. However, as of yet, no one has come into any of my cousins, uncles, and aunts houses and robbed them, no one has held them up at gun point. But, hell, it's still early; it's only 2pm, so the day is still young. anything could happen.

Frank

Last edited:

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
I have had my "HEART" stolen many times!
That was before I learned to play the "Game".
Same "Heart" since 1995.
I'm BIG,and "Ugly",so I think that keeps me safe.
CC

Everytime i come across a huge person it gets me to thinking "Is that Cris of dr1??" LOL

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

I just checked who voted for what and some people voted for two items, you being one of those posters. Not sure how that happened, unless they cleared their cookies and re-voted?
Its a multiple choice poll, since some people may have been victims of crime in more than one type of situation. There's no way anyone can vote more than one time, but they can vote for more than one option at one time.

For that reason, it will never add up to 100% because some people voted for more than one choice, but it will tell you what percentage of total voters picked each particular choice.

Example: So far 46 people have participated, but only 16 voted for 'Yes, at home' and that equals 34.78% of all voters, as is clearly shown in the poll.